Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-13-2014, 02:38 AM   #1
Roadster62

Default Extra holes in a NOS 28-29 Rear Fender

Got a good deal on this NOS 28-29 Rear Fender because of the rustout from poor storage. What are the three extra holes for? Checked a '29 Station Wagon and it doesn't have them, what dody did? thanks. Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HERSHEY2014653_zps41c4aad5.jpg (30.1 KB, 130 views)
File Type: jpg HERSHEY2014655_zps59b88976.jpg (65.2 KB, 134 views)
Old 11-13-2014, 07:46 AM   #2
Rowdy
BANNED

Default Re: Extra holes in a NOS 28-29 Rear Fender

Fordor sedans had those holes. My early takeoff fender for the left side has those holes. Will have to fill them before I use it. Rod
Old 11-13-2014, 08:26 AM   #3
wrndln

Rod is correct. I bought a pair of NOS 28/29 sedan/phaeton rear fenders at Hershey about 4 years ago and they had the same 3 holes as in the picture. On fordors and town sedans there is a skirt that bolts to the inside of the rear fenders. I repaired the holes with a copper packing plate and my Lincoln SP100 welder and with a tiny bit of body filler, no more holes. They are for my 29 phaeton.
Rusty Nelson
wrndln is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 09:16 AM   #4
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Bob, this topic came up at the recent JSC meeting in Michigan, ....how do you know that is actually a NOS fender, --and not a NORS fender?

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 09:45 PM   #5
Roadster62

NOS or NORS, I really don't know, but how could anyone make a fender this nice and sell it for less than Ford could? I don't have any other rear fenders to compair it to, but it sure looks nice, and it will go on my '29 Steelback Fordor. Bob
Old 11-14-2014, 09:54 AM   #6
5window

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadster62 View Post
Got a good deal on this NOS 28-29 Rear Fender because of the rustout from poor storage. What are the three extra holes for? Checked a '29 Station Wagon and it doesn't have them, what dody did? thanks. Bob

Only an antique car nut could read your first line and think, yes, that was a good deal. Everybody else sees a rusted piece of metal with holes in it!
5window is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 10:04 AM   #7
DJ S

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5window View Post
Only an antique car nut could read your first line and think, yes, that was a good deal. Everybody else sees a rusted piece of metal with holes in it!
That is true
DJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 10:37 AM   #8
supereal

Many Ford "service" parts have extra holes, etc, so they could be used by a dealer for several models, and not have to buy or store several for the same purpose. I once had a Model A the had different rear quarter panels. I always suspected the car was damaged and fixed with NORS on hand. They were close, but obviously not identical.
supereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 10:43 AM   #9
dean from bozeman

Hey 5window,

I understand what you are saying but that is some pretty dang nice (and minimal) rust.

It reminds me of the time I received a package from the late Fred Gooding. Inside the package were NOS bolts, nuts and washers to attach the front fenders of A495. As I sat at the table looking at them closely and remarking how beautiful they were, my wife walked by and in her soft, sarcastic voice she said, 'Now I know for sure that you are losing it.'

There is something about the NOS stuff (or as Brent reminds us that it could be NORS stuff) that just is beautiful. Perhaps that is why I will stand around and examine a low mileage, original car a lot longer than a nicely restored A. It may not be NOS but it is PDNOS, which means Pretty Dang Nice Old Stock.
dean from bozeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 12:13 PM   #10
ericr

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
Bob, this topic came up at the recent JSC meeting in Michigan, ....how do you know that is actually a NOS fender, --and not a NORS fender?
didn't the originals have a part number painted on the inside of it?
ericr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 12:31 PM   #11
Randy in ca

I used to have an excellent fender like this, appearing to be either NOS or NORS, and for some reason it had a threaded stud mounted in one of the three holes used to mount the apron on a Fordor.
Randy in ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 06:27 PM   #12
Roadster62

I need to get up to speed on what you guys think NORS is. For 50+ years to me NOS is NEW OLD STOCK, parts made by the original company that built the car. NORS were parts made by aftermarket suppliers. Dean, I will stop and inspect NOS parts whenever I can, there is something very special about them. That fender I started this thread was bought at Hershey from a guy on one of the main roads, guess the rust out scared everyone else. I need the mate to it so I'll have a pair. I dug the rear panel out of the parts pile and will take some photos later this evening to show how those three holes get filler. Got to share the education. Bob