Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Closed Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 06:12 AM   #1
CC33

Default Scammers on classified ads

Beware of scammers when placing a classified ad. Seems that is all I get for responses from classifieds that I placed on this site as well as the Early Ford V8 Club site. They are all from the UK. BEWARE!!!
Old 09-05-2012, 07:47 AM   #2
JM 35 Sedan

Default Re: Scammers on classified ads

I posted on this same subject awhile back. Not much you can do other than ignore them. They are pretty easy to tell by the way there message is worded. Here is a link to my previous post on this....

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32646

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
Old 09-05-2012, 08:16 AM   #3
jim1932

In fraud enforcement these are known as Nigerian scmas. A BIG tip off is the bad english. Manytimes it only refers to "the item". Many times if you see an item for too cheap (seen it a lof with horse and car trailers) you can copy a section of the ad and google it and it will come up for sale in numerous lists all with dirrefent addresses.

In contrast, you will note that most of our british friends on here have very proper english and grammer.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:09 AM   #4
V12Bill

Just picked up one of those freeloaders yesterday for an ad that I have. His first response was well worded and he requested more pictures. The second response was full of text shortcuts and poor grammar and punctuation . It's hard to believe that anyone would fall for these shady scams. Some must though, because they are repeated over and over.
Old 09-05-2012, 10:07 AM   #5
jim1932

The scam is they send you a fake money order. A lot of people figure that as long as they get paid they don't care. It takes about a week for the money order to bounce. By then the part is long gone to some drop ship point. Another is they over pay you and have you send the refund with the part. They get your good check before thier bad one bounces.
Old 09-05-2012, 10:48 AM   #6
BILL WZOREK

jim 1932

Maybe when selling a part it should be stated that the part ships when the check clears.
If honestly over paid you can send the refund with the part.
Just a thought.

BILL W
Old 09-06-2012, 04:17 AM   #7
CC33

The scammer responded to a WTB ad. Sent me pictures of a car that he claimed he had for sale in the UK. The pictured vehicle is here in the states that I am familiar with. I asked where is the car located, never heard back.
Old 09-06-2012, 04:37 AM   #8
35ragtop

Its a bit sad really because those of us that are genuine (most), begin to distrust others unnecessarily. In particular I refer to posts about paying or receiving money from internet buyers. The process should be, and in most cases is, safe and secure. Bank transfers ,paypal, are easy and safe ways to do business- except for the scammers!
Bring back snail mail, hand written letters and bank drafts!

Yes I too have had strange replies from wanted advertisements in the V8 Club
Old 09-06-2012, 07:30 PM   #9
Mart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel Sympathy View Post
I recently did a WTB ad. Two different guys from the UK were most anxious for me to send them a Western Union Money Order. Well, for one thing, neither of the sun nova beaches offered me a description nor a single photo of the part I wanted.

So, I emailed them back and told them I wasn't about to send funds to anybody without receiving detailed photos first.

Guess what happened after that???? Yep. Nuthin'!!!!

Oh, well..... Guess it is more important to Prince Harry to be playing naked pool in Las Vegas than worrying about his country's morals and ethics..... Way to go, boy! You're going to be a great leader.....

Poetry: "U.K." = "Stay Away" = (Sorry to say....)

Them slick-talkin' U.K. thieves can kiss my arse....

I'm tired of thieves. Probably won't see any improvement in my lifespan....... I clearly remember going into work (1963) with my car in the company parking lot, unlocked and with the windows rolled down. We'd all run out and roll up our windows if it looked like rain.

On a similar note, I worked at the Royal Crown Cola Bottling Plant in Lakeland, Florida. This was back in '65-'66-'67. Went on several routes, usually driving a newer Ford F-500 or F-600 rack truck. "Rack" means that the body of the truck was open racks - normally 5-wide cases of 24, 12-oz drinks of Royal Crown, or Nehi flavors. No doors; no locks. We went into the deepest depths of all the more risky neighborhoods, including Negro-American areas, some of our very best customers. Never had a theft problem.....

Can you imagine going into any area of a town/city today with open rack beverage truck? That poor ol' truck would be as bare as a skeleton by the time you came back outside after your first delivery........

Oh, yeah. America is a much better country, today without any Christian influence, than than it was in our society back then....... Sure it is. Anybody can see that..... even Ray Charles.

Well, can't they??

Uh, I'd like to take your calls, but apparently, somebody has stolen my cell phone......

Mike
Cheers, Rebel, thanks for your kind words about my country.

You do understand, don't you that most of these scammers never set foot in the UK?

Mart, from the UK and not a scammer.
Old 09-06-2012, 11:04 PM   #10
tierod

Cool Re: Scammers on classified ads

I WENT AS FAR WITH ONE CLOWN THAT HE SENT ME A CHECK. iT LOOKED REAL EXCEPT THE SIGNATURE LOOKED LIKE IT WAS SIGNED BY A 3 YEAR OLD. MY BANK CHECKED AND THERE WAS NO SUCH BANK. WASTE OF TIME BUT FUN. I STILL HAVE THE CHECK.
Old 09-07-2012, 01:12 AM   #11
trulyvintage

Lightbulb All to you Greetings....

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM 35 Sedan View Post
They are pretty easy to tell by the way there message is worded.
All to you - Greetings !

It is I , Prince Had-to-try of bricda kingdom.

Many greetings to you come said I with offer of
great monies to share for the parts of the car Ford, no ?

Pleas regards with your trust ,

Princess
Old 09-07-2012, 02:24 PM   #12
Henry Hopper

Hey Rebel,wind yer neck in.......I've had a couple of replies to want ads on the Barn from supposedly American people offering me 32stuff at rediculously low prices...it's the same West African scammers....I' d appreciate it if you could keep your anti British bias off of here.
Old 09-08-2012, 09:44 AM   #13
sonny

I agree with you Henry Hopper. Don't let it bother you, there's an Ass in every group.
Closed Thread