Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-28-2012, 08:02 PM   #1
tdlmomowers

Default Light Switch

My son in law and I were working on his 28 sedan. We were finishing up a wiring job from the previous owner. We kept getting sparks between the light switch housing and the steering column, everytime we tried to install the switch. I took the switch apart and found that the brass contact ring was grounded to the housing. I took the brass ring out of the switch and found that one of the tabs that hold the brass contact ring to the insulator was touching the metal under the ring. I used a Dremel Tool and a small grinding wheel to grind away part of the metal under the contact ring. This cleared the ground and the switch worked fine after this. The switch was a new one that the previous owner supplied with the car when it was bought. Has anyone else had problems with an aftermarket switch? In my opinion, the switch was very poorly manufactured. It had no markings on it but just looked like a imported piece of junk. Where is a good source of a quality made switch, in case we need to get another one after this piece of crap fails?
tdlmomowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 10:19 PM   #2
sonny30coupe

Default Re: Light Switch

Welcome to the aftermarket world of model A's, good luck on finding a good aftermarket. Best look for a good used original to have on-hand
sonny30coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 12:47 AM   #3
700rpm

I just expect I'll have to rework any repro parts. Then I'm happier when I find something that actually works straight out of the box.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 06:45 AM   #4
ericr

we had some threads obliquely mentioning this repro part before, which is notoriously troublesome.....ranks right up there with the repro light sockets.
ericr is offline   Reply With Quote