Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-16-2014, 07:20 AM   #1
HarryK

Default HarryK's 1929 Model A Restoration

I'm not sure if this is the right section or if it is allowed. If not I apologize and the mods can move or delete it. I'm sure I'll run into snags where I'll need help and all those questions will be posted in this thread.

I picked up this project in September and started the restoration process.

A little backstory:
It started its life as a 1929 Ford Model A Coupe. I don’t know what happened between ’29 and the 1960’s but eventually a farmer in South Carolina bought the car in the 60’s. Some years passed and he decided that he needed a hunting truck more than he needed a coupe. After cutting off the back of the body and using wood to create the bed and the back of the cab he now had a truck. He painted everything blue, when I say everything I mean everything: spark plugs, battery, engine, body, wood, everything and kept it in his barn. Unfortunately he passed away and the family removed the truck from the barn, placing it under a small carport. It sadly sat there for over 20 years, developing some nasty rust.

About a year and a half ago the farmer’s niece and her husband get the truck and tow it up here to Michigan with the intention of restoring it. Although some parts were removed the project was abandoned so they decided to sell it as a “parts car”.

My fiancé and I went to Greenfield Village’s Old Car Festival this year (2014) which allows people to drive their classic, pre 1934 cars through the 19th century based village. We enjoyed the festival so much we decided to buy a Model A and build it in time for next year’s festival. That night we hopped on Craigslist and found the ad for the Model A. At that point there were no pictures posted but for the price we were definitely interested. A quick phone call later and we were on our way to go look at it. I’m not going to lie, it was pretty rough. Mother Nature has definitely been busy rusting this thing to pieces. We told them that we would think it over and get back to him. By the time we got home we decided to go for it and called the owners once we got home. A few days later we trailored it home. Everything seems to be there except the exhaust and the doors.
I have been working on it every so often, usually only one day a week but I must say, it’s coming along quickly. Plans are to restore the truck back to its former glory. The plywood backing of the cab is getting replaced with sheet metal from a Model A pickup, All the rust is getting repaired, the engine will be stripped down, painted, inspected, and new gaskets will get installed. The body will have all the rust repaired; panels that are too rusted to repair will be replaced. Almost all the wood for the body will be getting replaced. The bed will be sanded down, stained, and clear coated. The interior will be completely redone with a stained wood floor, new paint, and custom built doors. All the work will be done by my fiancé and myself with only minor engine help by our friend that owns an auto shop.

Day One: September 10, 2014
Initial teardown started. Removed the passenger fender, side board, radiator, radiator support rods.

Day Two: September 14, 2014
Removed driver’s fender, windshield wiper motor, dash, front floorboard, and disconnected all the wiring.

Day Three: September 20 2014
Removed fuel tank, cowl, broken windshield, and got the cab ready to be lifted off. Lug nuts seem seized, may have to snap the lugs to remove the wheels.

Day Four: September 27, 2014
Removed the engine, transmission, and cab.

Day Four and a half: September 28, 2014
Put the engine on an engine stand, removed the passenger side apron, steering wheel, and extra leaf springs the farmer added.
October 13, 2014
Got 6 wheels with tires for really cheap. Tires should be replaced but will work for the time being.

Day Five: October 17, 2014
Got the front end down to the frame, removed the passenger side splash apron, and removed the emergency brake control bar. Started cleaning and organizing the garage in anticipation of pulling the rear end once I get a spring spreader. Also took more pics of all the parts. Definitely need to get a front crossmember and I’ll be replacing the spring u-bolts as I have to cut the front ones off.

Last edited by HarryK; 10-18-2014 at 06:14 PM.
HarryK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 07:26 AM   #2
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: HarryK's 1929 Model A Restoration

I definitely think you are in the right place. POST AWAY!!!

Ohh, ...and Welcome to Fordbarn!!

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 07:37 AM   #3
Rowdy
BANNED

Looks like you have alot of work to do. They must have had a sale on blue paint in the 60's. Good luck and post some updates once in awhile. Rod
Old 10-16-2014, 07:38 AM   #4
HarryK

Thanks guys. I'll be updating each time I work on it.
Old 10-16-2014, 07:46 AM   #5
700rpm

Wow, great project! Tell us where you're located. Locals can be a big help. Join a club if there's one near you. Buy some books so you get some cheap advice on what to do, and what not to do. Ask lots of questions. Take your time. And don't throw anything away, because you'll want it later fer shure. Take lots of pictures during disassembly. You'll want those later too. Keep a notebook.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Model A's!

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 07:49 AM   #6
HarryK

Located in dearborn, mi. So far only threw away the broken windshield and unfortunately I didn't take many pics when I started but will have to snap some of everything this weekend
Old 10-16-2014, 08:01 AM   #7
Tom Wesenberg

Lots of pictures, labels, and storage containers is the key. 1929 would have 21" wheels, but as you say, these will work for now. That military tread might have some value and if it's on a Jeep wheel that also has value.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 08:04 AM   #8
HarryK

Nevery thought of that. The wheels I got are 19 so 30-31 wheels right?
Old 10-16-2014, 08:13 AM   #9
Rex_A_Lott

Glad to see someone documenting a project!
Building a running vehicle out of a conglomeration of parts was fairly common around here years ago. It likely never had doors in its present configuration.
The generator and voltage regulator are off something later, likely 12V. 56 Fords were popular for that.
If you decide you dont want to use the headlights, let me know. I have some similar on my old jalopy and would like the spares.
Good Luck to you!
Rex_A_Lott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 09:30 AM   #10
dean from bozeman

Quite a project Harry. Thanks for sharing. Many of us have been there and have found that friendly advice can go a long way and help us avoid pitfalls.

You are correct 19" wheels are for the 30-31's. The 28-29's used a 21" wheel.

Besides the restoration aspect, I enjoy looking at these photos to see what folks did along the way to keep these vehicles running.

You talk about the leaf spring...the rear one is under a load so only remove it by using a spring spreader. I used a hammer to get one off during my high school years and it almost hit me in the forehead.

Enjoy!
dean from bozeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 09:33 AM   #11
HarryK

Thank you for the advice. Unbolt in it and slowly lifting the truck won't help?
Old 10-16-2014, 09:41 AM   #12
Rowdy
BANNED

The rear springs are quite dangerous. A spring spreader and safety chains are recomended. Much like Dean, my first time dealing with these was the hammer method. Luckily my hammer of choice was a 5lb sledge so I had a longer handle. Still it came off with enough force to flip the rearend over. Scared me enough I am very careful now. Do a search and you will find many good threads on taking them off safely. Rod
Old 10-16-2014, 09:43 AM   #13
dean from bozeman

Thank you for the advice. Unbolt in it and slowly lifting the truck won't help?
Harry, I have never done it that way.

Perhaps putting a load on the truck bed, unbolting one side and then slowly lifting the truck might work. Figure out a way to stay out of harm's way. Restorations should be fun and not life threatening.

Rowdy's suggestion of looking for previous threads on this topic would be very helpful.
dean from bozeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 10:01 AM   #14
CarlG

You will want to get (buy or borrow) one of these to remove your rear spring:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Spring Spreader.jpg (17.8 KB, 79 views)
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 10:02 AM   #15
HarryK

Price and where to buy one?
Old 10-16-2014, 10:04 AM   #16
tbirdtbird
BANNED

Great project! Nice to see another one come back to life!!

Speaking of life itself, It is worth repeating that the rear spring can take that away from you. It is dangerous as hell. Search here for many threads on proper, safe removal. In particular there was a thread about a fella from down under (IIRC) a few months ago who had a nasty encounter but got lucky. In that thread, our own rear end guru, Tom Endy, posted a lot of good info about doing this safely. Prolly best to search under his name to get to that post quickly. He has also published a very extensive document loaded with pix on how to properly set-up and rebuild a rear end if you are so inclined. It is available at a Calif. A site. Again, search under his name and it will come right up, i think it is Santa Anitas As or such. If he says it, it is!! And yes, you will need a spring spreader (your local club prolly has one to borrow)

Good luck and keep the pix coming!
Old 10-16-2014, 10:08 AM   #17
Rowdy
BANNED

Most Model A part suppliers sell these. There was also a thread on the "OLD" Fordbarn about making one. I am not sure if has been reposted since the move to the "NEW" Fordbarn. Unfortunatlely the archives did not make it here intact. Rod
Old 10-16-2014, 10:23 AM   #18
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryK View Post
Price and where to buy one?
They are on eBay right now for $130 (including freight) **not my ad** That's just where I got mine.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Model-A..._Tools&vxp=mtr
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 10:40 AM   #19
james hitchcock

Very cool project. Your definitely heading in the right direction. Keep the pic's coming.
james hitchcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 11:07 AM   #20
kelley's restoration

the only problem I see with your plan to make it a truck is that the pickup used different doors and cowl than a 2 door or coupe
you might be better off finding a 2 door rear section and grafting it onto the subf rame than trying to go pickup.
2 door/coupe doors are much less expensive and easier to find
tk