Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-18-2014, 04:57 PM   #1
gmcdiecast

Default What is the best way to sell my Model A

How/where is the best way to sell a Model A. I have a 1929 coupe I need to sell and want to know where the best place to list it would be.
gmcdiecast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 05:14 PM   #2
quickchange

Default Re: What is the best way to sell my Model A

Advertise it here on the swap site ,
quickchange is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 05:19 PM   #3
wrndln

Also, Craigslist is free to list items including cars. The last resort would be eBay, as they nail you on fees.
Rusty Nelson
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 05:53 PM   #4
Roadster62

I think the eBay "fee" is a flat $25.00 or so, not bad for World Wide exposure IMO. Bob
Old 10-18-2014, 06:02 PM   #5
Joe K

The problem with selling anything on Ebay is you get NO say who the buyer might be. You are forced by agreement to sell to the highest bidder.

Like those who might "rod" your car.

Or move it overseas.

Or part it out.

In a way the lack of personal direction is good - it keeps people separated enough that a business deal can stay business. But on the other hand it forces one to set aside any personal feelings towards either the object being sold - or to a buyer who REALLY wants the car for the same reason you did but doesn't have the cash/timing/luck of the draw.

And Ebay has been known to come after those they think have violated their policies, didn't hold up to their version of the deal, or something else that would be given a pass by small claims court.

Not a fan of Ebay - although they have come to my aid as buyer on an item where the seller misrepresented. I'm sure the seller was not pleased though.

As I might have been myself were I to fall into their system.

Joe K
Old 10-18-2014, 06:18 PM   #6
ronn

for newbies, the ebay fee is right around 125. after selling 6 cars, the price is half that,
for the exposure, it is a great deal. with that in mind, I sold 5 cars on there this summer and every buyer went MIA. So no sales and lots of money I had to pay regardless......
ebay doesnt hold buyers accountable and has been a disaster since donahue took over several years back. he is leaving next year and ebay and paypal will be parting
paypal will be quite successful and ebay will keep heading on a downward spiral due to competition.

back to selling, ebay would be your best bet for fair mkt value and a quick sale, if in no hurry, list here, Hemmings and yes, Craigslist, which is 25% owned by ebay and free.

good luck!
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 06:44 PM   #7
Fred K-OR

Can also advertise in the national club magazines from MAFCA and the restorers club.
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 06:54 PM   #8
Rex_A_Lott

1- Post it here in the classifieds
2-Price it cheap
3- Put up lots of pics.
Good Luck
Rex_A_Lott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 07:09 PM   #9
Mike Peters

I just sold two Model A's by consigning with Volo Classic Cars in Volo, IL. They got me more money than I ever could have got on Craigslist, etc., and I didn't have to deal with tire kickers. They sell world wide, which may be a problem for some, but they sold my neighbor's 29 fordor to Russia this spring. It's world market place whether we like it or not. It will be your cost to get your Model A to Volo. You sign a sales contract for the price you and Volo think is doable, and wait. Bob Boesch. 815-385-8408. Myself and several friends have done well with Volo this year, so if anyone wants to run Volo down, go ahead, but my next car to unload goes to Volo. They get the job done.
Mike Peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 07:22 PM   #10
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peters View Post
I just sold two Model A's by consigning with Volo Classic Cars in Volo, IL. They got me more money than I ever could have got on Craigslist, etc., and I didn't have to deal with tire kickers. They sell world wide, which may be a problem for some, but they sold my neighbor's 29 fordor to Russia this spring. It's world market place whether we like it or not. It will be your cost to get your Model A to Volo. You sign a sales contract for the price you and Volo think is doable, and wait. Bob Boesch. 815-385-8408. Myself and several friends have done well with Volo this year, so if anyone wants to run Volo down, go ahead, but my next car to unload goes to Volo. They get the job done.
What was their fee for selling ?
Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 07:24 PM   #11
glenn in camino

I'd send a written ad and a copy of the best picture I have, and the price, to all the Model A clubs within a 200 mile radius. also send your email address and your phone number if someone wants additional pictures or has questions. Be fair on the price.
glenn in camino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 07:56 PM   #12
Mike Peters

Wayne: For selling with Volo, the seller gets whatever number is on your sales contract. Volo will sell your car for as much as it can. They keep the difference, depending on what they sold it for. If they get a lot more than the number on your contract, they will give you more money. (This actually happened this past summer with a friend's car). If it's less than a 10% mark up, they will call you and you can either agree to a lesser price or not. Sellers call. Either way, the seller remains in control of the deal. The seller is never forced to take less money than what was agreed upon in the original sale contract. Similar to hiring a realtor to sell your house. Call Bob. He will explain it better than me.
Mike Peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 07:59 PM   #13
Charlie Stephens

I realize this is not the reason for you to sell your car but I am going to take the liberty to post it as it is already written.

I put this in my trust document as an instruction to the trustee on how to sell the cars. I would suggest that everyone do something similar. I recommended who should handle the selling of the cars. I listed all of my cars and their approximate value. I listed the locations for the keys and the paperwork although all off my cars are currently registered and duplicates of ownership parers are available from the DMV. The non bnding instructions are:

Find all of the paperwork and compare the serial numbers with the numbers on the car. You will need to know where the number is when you sell the car.

Get many good digital photos. The photos will be needed to send to people asking questions and to clubs when placing ads. Show exterior all views, engine compartment, upholstery, and as many other as need to show car completely. Include defects and problem areas.

If the car has a high dollar value (which I define as over $20K based on values shown in “The Old Cars Price Guide”) spend the money and hire a professional appraiser. Talk to the members of local clubs to find an appraiser.

Probably the best place for national advertising is Hemming’s Motor news (available at Barnes & Noble). Remember when advertising that it may not be worth the money to get national exposure since most cars will sell within a couple of hundred miles. EBay is a good place to sell a car or major parts. The problem with EBay is that most clubs/web sites will not accept ads that direct people to an on going EBay auction. It is up to the person selling the car/parts but my tendency would be to skip Hemming’s and EBay.

Go to the national club web sites and find the local clubs. The national web sites are:

For Model A’s: mafca.com and modelaford.org

For early V8’s: earlyfordv8.org

For Street Rods (they buy stock cars too): nsra-usa.com

Start by sending an ad (through a club member to avoid having to pay for the ad) to the national clubs for inclusion in their monthly (or bi-monthly) magazine and then write a letter, call and/or attend local club meetings with pictures. Ask if they would place an ad in their monthly newsletter. If the club is smart they will do this at no cost as a service to their members. If they want more than a token amount for the ad just skip their club and tell them why. Unless you car is very unusual it will probably sell to someone within a couple of hundred miles. Contact all of the clubs within this radius. Remember if you contact the clubs by email to include photos with your email as there is a good chance that someone will forward you email to a general distribution list for the club. You should plan on a couple of months for information to work its way through the system. Newsletters have cut off dates and your request may go through a couple of people before it finally gets to the editor of the newsletter. Advertise the cars with a best offer at the end of the two month period and reserve the right to reject any or all offers. Avoid the temptation to sell to the first offer. If things don’t sell, and it is possible, wait a year and try again.

There are several web sites that have classified sections for cars (be sure the vehicle ends up in the right section). Ads are usually free but donations cheerfully accepted. Place these ads a couple of weeks before the other ads are scheduled to be published. These sites are:

Fordbarn.com (separate sections for A, V8)

Ahooga.com (A)

http://www.jalopyjournal.com (T, A, V8 plus other makes)

The final question is what to do with all of those extra parts. Try to package them with the complete cars to the greatest extent possible. Most of the parts in my garage are in boxes marked to show which car they go to. Another outlet is to contact the local antique auto parts suppliers and get a bid on the lot. Since these people must haul, sort, inventory and sell these parts their prices will be less than if you sell the parts directly. Maybe have an auction with members of local clubs present. After you have sold all that you can donate them to a local car club or tell the members they can have them for free. This is better and cheaper than paying someone to haul them away. One final thought, the money must hand before the cars/parts go out the door.

Charlie Stephens

Last edited by Charlie Stephens; 10-18-2014 at 09:20 PM.
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 08:37 PM   #14
harleytoprock

Another place to sell is Hemmings Motor News. It can be advertised in their publication and on the online site.

ronn, If your experiencing non paying bidders on ebay, you can notify ebay and you won't have to pay the commision. You should also get a free re-listing. You have to go through the correct ebay avenues and time periods to get these credits.
harleytoprock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 09:02 PM   #15
BILL WILLIAMSON

I, personally, would NEVER sell another car on the INTERNET!!!! Too many crooks & scammers!!!
I'd park at a local golf course club house, with a sign: "FOR SALE--$18,000 CASH--I'LL BE HERE UNTIL 6:00 P.M.--TODAY ONLY"
I would NOT even post a phone #. We have MANY golf courses here!
Bill W.
Old 10-19-2014, 07:44 AM   #16
5window

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
I, personally, would NEVER sell another car on the INTERNET!!!! Too many crooks & scammers!!!
I'd park at a local golf course club house, with a sign: "FOR SALE--$18,000 CASH--I'LL BE HERE UNTIL 6:00 P.M.--TODAY ONLY"
I would NOT even post a phone #. We have MANY golf courses here!
Bill W.
That is just to weird. Like, most golfers would want Lincolns and Buicks. I think you'd spend a lot of time hanging out in parking lots while golfers were on the course and you'd have a very limited exposure. Maybe the money class, but surely not the right psychological demographic. I'd like to here form anyone who every sold a car in a gold course parking lot. Of course, it's free.
5window is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 09:08 AM   #17
ronn

Harley,
you are correct about a refund on the first 6 sales, after that, you lose everytime, as I guess they consider you a dealer......... so no refunds after the first 6 listings. If you list the car 4x, you pay 4 listing fees.
Once sold a 66 Mustang convertible on ebay 4x-the 4th time was the charm!
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote