Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-13-2014, 04:20 PM   #1
Shadetree

Default 1935 Floor Mats

When I bought my `35 Cabriolet in 2006 there was a new floor mat in a box. It was brittle, wrinkled and easily torn. It is brownish in color. I finally broke down and decided to buy a new one. Mac's doesn't list one, Drake's has one but is black. C&G has one listed as black.

1. What color should it be?
2. Are 35's and 36's the same? C&G has listed a `36 listed as Taupe.
3. What other supplier may have the correct one?
Old 07-13-2014, 05:06 PM   #2
Lawson Cox

Default Re: 1935 Floor Mats

Try Dennis Carpenter

It is better to be seen, than viewed.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 05:32 PM   #3
Bob NH

More than likely, Dennis C. is producing the mats that most others are selling.
I recently bought a new mat for the forty from Jo's in Uxbridge and it is from Dennis. I guess the V8 club asked him to maybe change the color of Benton gray a bit and he has. Wish I had an answer for you on the correct color for your great little car but I don't, sorry
Bob NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 06:24 PM   #4
mrtexas

You will find out the new one you buy is "brittle, wrinkled and easily torn. " Macs warns you of it. Looks like the one I bought for my 36 was a copy of an old wrinkled and worn out mat. That is all that is available. Take it or leave it!
mrtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 07:54 PM   #5
Shadetree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob NH View Post
More than likely, Dennis C. is producing the mats that most others are selling.
I recently bought a new mat for the forty from Jo's in Uxbridge and it is from Dennis. I guess the V8 club asked him to maybe change the color of Benton gray a bit and he has. Wish I had an answer for you on the correct color for your great little car but I don't, sorry
I just checked Dennis Carpenter's web site and there is a display of one in Taupe, looking like the one I have. But they are out of stock...

I read in one the ads today that the molds have been corrected and now producing quality mats. I'll call tomorrow.

Thanks to all for your help.
Old 07-13-2014, 08:07 PM   #6
flatheadfan

Shadetree-

I think you will find '35 and '36 mats are very different. Different pattern, color and transmission opening. Even if you find one in generally good condition they generally don't stay that way for very long. It seems that the first time you need to look at the battery you end up with a rip. From there it is all down hill. What I do is go with a carpet. They look good and are generally rip resistant and much cheaper that a rubber mat. If you have a '36 and originally is a factor that keeps you awake at night, take heart. The 1936 Canadian "special" deluxe cars came from the factory with carpeting.

Tom
Attached Images
File Type: jpg can1.jpg (53.2 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg can3-1.jpg (55.7 KB, 48 views)
flatheadfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 08:11 PM   #7
DavidG

Taupe is the correct color for '35, Benton gray for '36 (sort of the color of light milk chocolate).
DavidG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 08:37 PM   #8
Don

Bud,I put carpet in my 35 ,with some padding under it,used the old mat for a pattern and had a friend with a heavy duty machine put a binder around it ,looks good .and easy to clean.The carpet is automotive grade and not very thick so easy to cut and bind,I have a big roll left so if you want a piece.let me know and I'll bring it to Gallapolis when they have the show or mail you a piece.The color is light tan,would look good in your car.NO CHARGE.!!!!!!! Don
Old 07-13-2014, 08:45 PM   #9
Lawson Cox

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatheadfan View Post
Shadetree-

I think you will find '35 and '36 mats are very different. Different pattern, color and transmission opening. Even if you find one in generally good condition they generally don't stay that way for very long. It seems that the first time you need to look at the battery you end up with a rip. From there it is all down hill. What I do is go with a carpet. They look good and are generally rip resistant and much cheaper that a rubber mat. If you have a '36 and originally is a factor that keeps you awake at night, take heart. The 1936 Canadian "special" deluxe cars came from the factory with carpeting.

Tom
Your sales brochure states that the greyhound hood ornament was standard equipment on the 36 Deluxe. Not so. How could Ford Sales make such a blunder???? 34 was only year greyhound was an authorized accessory hood ornament.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".
Old 07-13-2014, 09:16 PM   #10
Shadetree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don View Post
Bud,I put carpet in my 35 ,with some padding under it,used the old mat for a pattern and had a friend with a heavy duty machine put a binder around it ,looks good .and easy to clean.The carpet is automotive grade and not very thick so easy to cut and bind,I have a big roll left so if you want a piece.let me know and I'll bring it to Gallapolis when they have the show or mail you a piece.The color is light tan,would look good in your car.NO CHARGE.!!!!!!! Don
Don,
Thanks for the kind offer. The Gallipolis Car Show is not that far off. I am sure Tom is right, the first time I need to need to get under it there will be a rip. I know a upholstery shop that could make me one with carpet. The original style mats aren't cheap at $160 I'll be in touch.

Thanks to all for your kind help.
Old 07-14-2014, 01:57 PM   #11
FL&WVMIKE

SHADETREE ......................
Here is an image of my original 1935 Cabriolet rumble seat floormat. I do not have the original front floor mat. It is the original Taupe color.
MIKE (mikeburch)
CLICK ON PHOTO TO ENLARGE - Twice
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1248.jpg (297.6 KB, 86 views)
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 04:10 PM   #12
Don Rogers

Lawson, You are looking at a Canadian Brochure for mid 1936. Canada did offer Greyhounds on deluxe vehicles after mid 1936.
Don Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 09:31 PM   #13
Lawson Cox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Rogers View Post
Lawson, You are looking at a Canadian Brochure for mid 1936. Canada did offer Greyhounds on deluxe vehicles after mid 1936.
My bad. Nice to know about Canadian greyhounds. Did not know that.

Old 07-15-2014, 09:10 AM   #14
AnthonyG

Not sure how or why but I ordered the taupe from Mac's and they indicated when I called the taupe was not available anymore and said black was it. I got he black as my is black anyway and it is actually pretty nice, very flexible. I have a '35 with a '39 tranny so needed to modify a bit but it looks good and I have been futzing with it to get to the battery switch as I put a kill switch on the top of the battery cover under the pad and no rips so far. Guess I was lucky.
Old 07-15-2014, 09:27 AM   #15
VeryTangled

Hi Everyone, I dug this up from the archives, not sure if it on topic but the subject is '36 floor mats.

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111720

Have you thought about supporting the Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum?
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 12:48 PM   #16
FL&WVMIKE

If you have mats that are tearing and splitting, you can contact cement them to canvas, on the underside. I did this to my original, raggy rear mats, in my '34, about six years ago, and they have been usable ever since. Follow the instructions that come with the contact cement.
I, also, did this to my splitting reproduction front mat.
MIKE (mikeburch)
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 04:28 PM   #17
johnh7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtexas View Post
You will find out the new one you buy is "brittle, wrinkled and easily torn. " Macs warns you of it. Looks like the one I bought for my 36 was a copy of an old wrinkled and worn out mat. That is all that is available. Take it or leave it!

If you order a floor mat and it comes "brittle, wrinkled and easily torn" and you are happy with it. More power to you! Accept poor quality and be happy. As for me, I won't accept it and I will find a better supplier or have one made. But you be happy with crap and enjoy it.

Live for today, but save for tomorrow!
johnh7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 06:29 PM   #18
Dave D

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnh7 View Post
If you order a floor mat and it comes "brittle, wrinkled and easily torn" and you are happy with it. More power to you! Accept poor quality and be happy. As for me, I won't accept it and I will find a better supplier or have one made. But you be happy with crap and enjoy it.
Nice sentiment but not very practical. There is only one manufacturer and they are using old molds, hence the flaws. I have a few of these mats from Dennis Carpenter and I wouldn't consider them "brittle".

As for having one made, expect to pay thousands of dollars for a mat.
Dave D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 09:43 PM   #19
jfcrash

Shadetree,

FYI, I just received a new catalog from LeBaron Bonney and they offer front rubber floor mats including 1935 in taupe.. 1 800 221 5408.... if your still interesred.

Hope this helps

I couldn't repair the brakes, so I adjusted the horn louder....
jfcrash is offline   Reply With Quote