Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-23-2012, 09:11 AM   #1
jr-41ford

Default Replacing flattie w/SBF

I'd like to replace the flattie in my 41 Ford with a small block Ford and mate it up to my stock 3-speed transmission.

I've seen adapters to mate SBC, BBC, and even hemis, but nothing on installing SBF. I've checked Wilcap and others, no luck, not even seeing an article on doing this.

Does anyone make an adapter or is it just a matter of using the correct Ford parts?

Anyone can install a SBC in a Ford, but I want to keep mine all Ford.

Thanks, JR.
jr-41ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 12:58 PM   #2
46yblock

Default Re: Replacing flattie w/SBF

Years ago adaptors were made to match up about any engine of the time, 1950's, to original Ford flathead transmissions. I think one even came up on ebay a couple years ago for an MEL. The trouble may be in the SBF being relatively new, and by the time it came out the adapters may have moved on to later model transmissions.

If you are deadset on using the subject transmission, OK. But I can say you will probably be sorry in the short/long run. I have a 292 mated to 40's Ford truck 3 speed. It was my worst mistake in the '46 build.
Old 11-23-2012, 01:08 PM   #3
Ghost of elmirage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr-41ford View Post
I'd like to replace the flattie in my 41 Ford with a small block Ford and mate it up to my stock 3-speed transmission.

I've seen adapters to mate SBC, BBC, and even hemis, but nothing on installing SBF. I've checked Wilcap and others, no luck, not even seeing an article on doing this.

Does anyone make an adapter or is it just a matter of using the correct Ford parts?

Anyone can install a SBC in a Ford, but I want to keep mine all Ford.

Thanks, JR.
good chance you will wreck that 3speed trans
Old 11-23-2012, 01:32 PM   #4
46yblock

"good chance you will wreck that 3speed trans"

Very much agree, unless a lot of care is given to driving style. No burnouts, 4bbl carb probably wouldnt be a good idea, and building the engine with much more than 200 HP or anything more than stock is a waste of money. The trans only saw 100 hp originally.
Old 11-23-2012, 01:52 PM   #5
Charlie Stephens

If I remember correctly the early SBF was too long for an easy conversion. After a while aftermarket parts solved the problem and I think the engines became shorter from the factory. By the time the SBF got shorter the guys were going to the later transmissions. The adapters however are out there. Be sure to remember that there were two different bolt patterns on the back of the block with the change occurring about 1966. The adapters you find will probable mostly be for the early configuration. My advice would be to leave the flathead in there.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:26 PM   #6
Retro Jim

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
If you are going to upgrade to a 289/302/5.0 I would highly advise replacing the trans with a better one . You can use anything from the 3 speed from a Y block , 3 or 4 speed top loader or a T5 . All are good choices depending on your driving conditions . If you are going to do mostly local low speed drives then any trans will work just fine .
Now if you are considering on doing a lot more highway driving then step up to a T5 that has overdrive .
Also check to see what the rear gear ratio is . That will also make a big difference in what trans you should go with .
There are plenty of trans adapters out there but if you are using a Ford trans from the 1964 and up , then you won't need an adapter !
just my opinion .

Jim
Retro Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:39 PM   #7
jr-41ford

The replies are very much appreciated. I've had the car for over 13 years, it's a driver, but have won many trophies for it, including best engine. The flattie is getting tired, I'm tired of car shows, and now I'm ready to start driving it all the time, including across the country. Used to drive it all the time, until a couple of years ago. The flattie just won't handle long distance driving these days.

I still might rebuild the flattie. Build have been really serious about modernizing the car with another engine, AT, AC/heat. I have no intention of cutting any part of the firewall or floor to put a SBF w/AT. There is an article my buddy has, describing step by step, how to install a SBF w/AOD trans, but the floor must be cut. It also lists all the components that need to be changed like water pump and oil pan/pump.

If I can install a SBF w/C4 or C6 trans and not cut, then I'm all for it.

I'm not one to drive my cars hard or spin the tires, so anything other than a stock motor is a waste. I would of liked to have install a 54 Merc Y block, but brother in law is slow to remove it from the Mrc, to install a SBC.

So if I go with a SBF w/C4 trans, is there going to be any cutting of the body?

Again, thank you for the replies,

JR
Old 11-23-2012, 09:12 PM   #8
68HILLBILLY

ADAPTERS show up regularly over on the hamb for 260-289 to original trans. offenauser number is a 0603 I believe. think I actually have one of these hanging up in garage. good luck.
68HILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 09:23 PM   #9
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
...brother in law is slow to remove 54 Merc Y block from the Merc, to install a SBC.
JR
I think I'm going to be SICK!!!
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 09:25 PM   #10
desotoguy

As for a SBF, look for a 94-95 Mustang, 93-93 T-Bird or a 95-96 Explorer. These motors have the short timing cover and you can use the short water pump and save some inches in length, maybe enough that no FW mod would be required.
desotoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 09:33 PM   #11
parklane

If you were thinking Y block, be thankful that he is slow at removing it. That is a 256 cuin. and a one year only - same as Ford but it is 239 cuin. Go with a 272/292 if anything. JMHO
Old 11-23-2012, 10:21 PM   #12
Ol' Ron

Another problem is the forward sump of the SBF interfering with the suspension.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:08 AM   #13
jr-41ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y-Blockhead View Post
I think I'm going to be SICK!!!
I don't think it will ever happen, he is a procrastinator. If it were my Merc, I would kept the Y block in it.

His son said he had bought 2 to 4 SBC for it. I like the T block in it.
Old 11-24-2012, 09:16 AM   #14
jr-41ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by parklane View Post
If you were thinking Y block, be thankful that he is slow at removing it. That is a 256 cuin. and a one year only - same as Ford but it is 239 cuin. Go with a 272/292 if anything. JMHO
Never heard the word cuin, looked it up, "orphan" sounds perfect for a '41 Ford.

I've bought many Ford throughout my lifetime and many of them have been one of a kind, oddballs.

Had an early 1928 Ford Model A Roadster (aka AR), for 6 years, drove me up a wall restoring it. Sold it in March and bought the 1928 Tudor shown in my avatar. Wish I would of bought a Model A years ago.
Old 11-24-2012, 09:31 AM   #15
jr-41ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Ron View Post
Another problem is the forward sump of the SBF interfering with the suspension.
Thanks Ron, been aware of that for many years, including the short water pump.

Also, a big thank you to 68Hillbilly and desotoguy for the information.

I think I will probably replace the flattie with a SBF and C4 or pull the flattie out and send it out for a rebuild, the re-install it.

The flattie has been a great engine, but has some blow-by, more oil leaks, and the cam bearings are worn and the oil pressure goes low at an idle when warm. Used to peg out an 80 psi gauge when first started, up until 5 years ago.

Again thanks everyone.

JR

Undetailed flattie.
Old 11-24-2012, 09:39 AM   #16
raceron1120

Quote:
Never heard the word cuin....
cuin = cu in or cubic inches. 256 was a Merc-only production engine and I think it was also used in some Ford police cars.
raceron1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 11:18 AM   #17
blucar

Many years ago I almost fell into the common trap of replacing the flat head engine in my '36 with a later model OHV.. Everyone was doing it in the late '60's.. I purchased all of the required adapters and had a 283 SBC rebuilt.. I changed my mind, sold the engine and put the adapters up on the shelf.. There are still there.
With all of the new engineering and parts availability for the flat head Ford engines, they can be built up into being very reliable engines.. Add an OD, either one of the aftermarket units or a Columbia and you have a car that will cruise at 65+ with no difficulty..
Of course from my prospective, I think the Ford flat heads were and are one of the best engines ever made.. As I recently wrote, I have pounded my Ford across the road for over 94k, the current 59AB engine has over 45k on it. One of the trips I took my Ford on was a non stop trip of 1,040 mi., So Cal to Idaho.. I did the 1,040 mi. in just over 18 hours.. Do the math, that's an average of over 55 mph.. Will a late model OHV engine do any better than that?
Old 11-24-2012, 11:42 AM   #18
Y-Blockhead

While perusing ebay for Gear Vendors O/D parts for my '55 Ranch I saw this Gear Vendor O/D that you may be interested in. This O/D is for a Model A but the guy states he custom makes them so who knows. Then keep your Flattie and turn it into a 'six speed'.
I have a C-4/GV O/D combo for my Ranchwagon.
Old 11-24-2012, 12:05 PM   #19
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by blucar View Post
One of the trips I took my Ford on was a non stop trip of 1,040 mi., So Cal to Idaho.. I did the 1,040 mi. in just over 18 hours.. Do the math, that's an average of over 55 mph.. Will a late model OHV engine do any better than that?
That's pretty good. I've made it to Oregon (~800 mile trip, up hill both ways) averaging just under 65 mph in my 'little' 232 ci six. That's stopping for fill up and drainage only. Lucky I didn't get a ticket. Just as we where getting into the Siskiyous when a CHP pull up next to us and gave me the thumbs down.

Course that little 232 is in my '89 Super Coupe. You know, the T-Bird with the Eaton Blower and 5 speed trans... Just saying.
Old 11-24-2012, 01:22 PM   #20
teejay99

Yeah Bill , and you probably had a big grin on your face the whole trip in the '36 . Priceless .

T
teejay99 is offline   Reply With Quote