Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-31-2014, 08:18 PM   #1
BlueSunoco

Default E-Bay oddity

Something new happened to me today... was bidding on an item, there were no bidders until Sat. Item ended today. Was on E-Bay a week. Not big money. The first and only bidder stood at the opening bid of $5.00. I was waiting until close to the end to bid.

I put in a bid, all was going well until 1 minute before the sale ended when I was ' knocked out', my bid became $0.00, and the other 'bidder' " won" the item at five bucks. I got a notice of 'Error. Zero dollars bid" at that time. All was well before that??

Anybody have this happen before? Odd. Been doing E-Bay for probably 10 years or so and never had this happen before.
BlueSunoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 08:29 PM   #2
Fred
BANNED

Default Re: E-Bay oddity

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSunoco View Post
Something new happened to me today... was bidding on an item, there were no bidders until Sat. Item ended today. Was on E-Bay a week. Not big money. The first and only bidder stood at the opening bid of $5.00. I was waiting until close to the end to bid.

I put in a bid, all was going well until 1 minute before the sale ended when I was ' knocked out', my bid became $0.00, and the other 'bidder' " won" the item at five bucks. I got a notice of 'Error. Zero dollars bid" at that time. All was well before that??

Anybody have this happen before? Odd. Been doing E-Bay for probably 10 years or so and never had this happen before.
I just had the same thing happen..
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 08:53 PM   #3
ct1932ford

Sounds like ebay stopped us from doing that late bid in order to inspire more bidding. Just a thought but would not be surprised. Never enough profits!
Old 08-31-2014, 09:28 PM   #4
darrylkmc

I won a bid last night for a pair of sunglasses on Ebay, I was the only bidder until 8 seconds to go when someone bid against me, but they lost.

I have had a bad connection, or something, while trying to bid at the last second and my bid was not acknowledged.

Darryl in Fairbanks
darrylkmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 10:27 PM   #5
jr-41ford

There is a program that people use to bid on items listed on eBay. It's called "Auctionsniper," many of us called it Snipe. It will automatically bid up to your maximum amount at the last 10 to 15 seconds of an auction. I don't know what percentage the developers charge these day when used to win an auction.

The best way to bid on an auction is to just bid your maximum amount you are willing to spend on an item and wait or use Snipe.

http://www.auctionsniper.com/
jr-41ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 10:39 PM   #6
holdover

looks interesting, I am sure I paid more on some items than I could have because I bid early on an item when I was going to be away from my computer. I usually bid what I feel the item is worth to me.. win some lose some
holdover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 06:21 AM   #7
mcorrell

I've never had that happen to me even though I usually watch an item and bid within the last minutes my max bid or multiple bids, just like I would in a real in-person auction. There are times I get up in the middle of the night for the right item. I like the excitement of bidding myself. I've never used a snipe program.

1964 Buick Wildcat convertible
mcorrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 06:58 AM   #8
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

I just put in the price I'm willing to pay if the part was in front of me at a store. If I lose I lose. Siting there at the last moments trying to get it as cheap as possible does not make sense to me.
Old 09-01-2014, 07:38 AM   #9
Fordors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
I just put in the price I'm willing to pay if the part was in front of me at a store. If I lose I lose. Siting there at the last moments trying to get it as cheap as possible does not make sense to me.
I think Mike, among others who are rational, has it right. Appraise an item and decide for yourself what you would pay. Place your high bid and if you win that's it, period. Your bid will go up incrementally keeping pace with any other bidders. Trying to snipe defies the logic behind an individual's high bid; if you want to pay more than me you can have the darn thing. I may be disappointed that I lost but feel secure in my mind that you over-valued the item.
Call it "sniping", or sitting up all hours of the night, or what ever you want but it makes no sense to me.
Old 09-01-2014, 07:43 AM   #10
ronn

sniping is the "only" way to go if you really WANT something. You set the bid with no emotion and walk away. You either get it or dont. By bidding early, you drive the prices to crazy levels and the seller loves you for your $.

you can buy on emotion or you can just pay what you are willing to pay................. your choice.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 08:00 AM   #11
chl

a week ago I entered a last second bid and the bid went through at an amount far less than what I bid and I didn't get the item,Still trying to figure out how that happened.
chl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 10:30 AM   #12
redmodelt

I agree with put a bid in at what you will pay and walk away but on the other hand there nothing like getting the ticker going in a good bidding war.
redmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 11:31 AM   #13
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by chl View Post
a week ago I entered a last second bid and the bid went through at an amount far less than what I bid and I didn't get the item,Still trying to figure out how that happened.
We like to think when we hit the keyboard things happen the speed of light. The fact is there are a whole lot of things the signal needs to go through before it ends up at the other side and you cannot guarantee the the moment you hit the key your bid is recognized and entered in that split second.
Old 09-01-2014, 11:40 AM   #14
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmodelt View Post
I agree with put a bid in at what you will pay and walk away but on the other hand there nothing like getting the ticker going in a good bidding war.
Hm, did your ever like jumping off roofs or out of trees..or playing no-limit holdem

Note:
I've found that when placing last second bid, that in the excitement mentioned here, that a guy has to remember to 'confirm' the bid IN TIME for it to count
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 12:28 PM   #15
BlueSunoco

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardtimes View Post
I've found that when placing last second bid, that in the excitement mentioned here, that a guy has to remember to 'confirm' the bid IN TIME for it to count
Hardtimes, that's usually what I do. Takes about 6 seconds for the bid to be accepted, so I put a bid in with around 13 seconds left in the auction. The other day I put in a small bid several hours earlier before the sale ended and that is the one I got 'booted' out of with 1 minute to go!! Only one other bidder and he won the auction, unless something fishy is going on that did cross my mind...................
BlueSunoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 12:33 PM   #16
H. L. Chauvin

In my case it always depends on the "geographical" location of the internet connection and/or a different type of computer.

At my office, 8 miles away, connection is always great, computer is always fast, & E-bay always receives my last minute bids within a few seconds.

However, with a different computer at home, (again 8 miles distance), connection is always "iffy" with no connection at times, & computer is always much, much slower; hence, if I bid 2 minutes before bid ends, E-bay may or may not receive my bid on time.

If I bring my fast office laptop home, it cannot be trusted for fast bidding because the internet connection is "iffy", sometimes fast, sometimes slow, sometimes non existing.

Just one experience.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 12:35 PM   #17
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by H. L. Chauvin View Post
In my case it always depends on the "geographical" location of the internet connection and/or a different type of computer.

At my office, 8 miles away, connection is always great, computer is always fast, & E-bay always receives my last minute bids within a few seconds.

However, with a different computer at home, (again 8 miles distance), connection is always "iffy" with no connection at times, & computer is always much, much slower; hence, if I bid 2 minutes before bid ends, E-bay may or may not receive my bid on time.

If I bring my fast office laptop home, it cannot be trusted for fast bidding because the internet connection is "iffy", sometimes fast, sometimes slow, sometimes non existing.

Just one experience.
do you have alternative providers..
or maybe you can upgrade the speed
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 12:48 PM   #18
TDO

Never had any luck bidding, so I just go to but it now.
TDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 04:04 PM   #19
J Franklin

Did you ask Ebay what was going on? Maybe hackers or a virus.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 05:21 PM   #20
hardtimes

Hey BlueSunoco,
Yeah, ebay is NOT as it used to be, so something 'fishy' will not be ruled out by me ! I tried to forget this recent story, but here goes. I put an engine up for sale. Long story short, ebay let it go for seven of ten days, then pulled the ad ...just when 'things' were getting hot bidder wise. Man was I stunned when it disappeared. Sooo, I called ebay and spent the NEXT 4 HOURS on the phone with robots/idiots..disquised as employees and qulp..'supervisors' The bottom line here, after calming myself (yoga), I did what 'they' ordered done..to put it in their recommended area. The next day it ended up back in the area that 'they' said it shouldn't be in So now it is in TWO areas. Some pissed off bidders and me eventually got thru ebay BS and I believe that I lost money on account of it. So, do 'fishy' things go on at ebay....YES THEY DO !!
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote