Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-13-2014, 05:34 PM   #1
smittykid

Default Looked at a 29 Special coupe

I finally got to look at this 29 Special Coupe. The paint is real nice on the car except for a couple of spots on the radiator apron and on the back where it's a little buggered up (not bad) from someone closing the rumble seat with the handle in the wrong position. The interior is real nice except for some moth holes in the top of the seat back. Everything else is great. Drove it, all seems fine. All lights work as does horn & emg. brake. It has an exhaust leak around the donut, but his mechanic told him the collar just needs tightened. Right now he said is bottom line on the car is $14,800. I forgot got to snap a pic of the engine bay. I would say it is "fair" at best. What do you guys think? Thanks, Smitty
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 29 A rf.JPG (166.0 KB, 377 views)
File Type: jpg 29 A frnt.JPG (161.8 KB, 340 views)
File Type: jpg 29 A rear.JPG (164.8 KB, 287 views)
File Type: jpg 29 A rumble.JPG (165.5 KB, 299 views)
File Type: jpg 29 A rr.JPG (164.4 KB, 299 views)
smittykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 05:45 PM   #2
Tom Wesenberg

Default Re: Looked at a 29 Special coupe

Not too far off, but seems a bit high to me. It has the wrong horn. What is the condition of the INSA tires? Any weather checking?

Need to see dash and engine compartment pictures, as well as undercarriage.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 06:08 PM   #3
H. L. Chauvin

Hi Smitty,

FWIW, like it or not, just one sincere, humble opinion.

1. So very few Model A's are almost showroom perfect.

2. If it really "suits" you ....... buy it & drive it .......... tinker with the minor stuff one at a time .......... keep it running, & never look back.

3. If somebody else grabs it, you may always have a story for your grandkids on how you "almost" bought the very dream vehicle of your life.

4. If you drive any car to MacDonald's you are taking a chance on the highway; if you start a new business you are taking a chance -- if you get married, you are taking a chance -- only successful individuals never give up on taking chances -- pessimistic moaners & groaners always think everybody else has it made, but they never ever "kept taking" chances.

5. Just remember, $14,800 can buy lots of fancy meals, lots of fancy clothes, lots of expensive football game tickets, lots of good whiskey, lots of smooth riding lawn mowers & electronic push button washing machines; but it is "yours" ....... "you" earned it ....... & you what "you" want to do.

6. Just me!
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 06:23 PM   #4
JTW

You can find out if $14,800 is really the bottom line by laying down $13,500. in cash in front of him. Or if you like to gamble, and maybe turn him right off, even less.
Old 07-13-2014, 06:25 PM   #5
JOES31

H.l.
I think you pretty well summed it up. Remember that if you keep it maintained it will only appreciate in value.
JOES31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 06:32 PM   #6
bikejunk

is this the car that you are looking for, or just happend upon ? and what would you feel comfy paying? does it drive tight and run well ? you know you can spend 10 grand on a restored car and put 4,000 into it to get it where it is really drivable and be in the same boat. good luck
bikejunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 06:45 PM   #7
Fred K-OR

I think HL summed it up quite well. If you have been looking for a car like this then go for it.

Like Tom said it may be a little high in price. But if you feel it is the car you want then it is the car for you at what seems like a reasonable high price.
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 06:46 PM   #8
H. L. Chauvin

Hi Joes 31,

Witnessed a few of my buddies dying young when I was young years ago.

Today, I see the obits every day full of guys younger than me.

I see lots of happy guys every day on this Forum who are all happy with their Model A's whether they are running or not.

I never was a fan of all of Frank Sinatra's songs; but in his hit, "I Did It My Way" .... this song appears to be very educational when one concentrates on his words.

He really came from nothing, but with his song, I think he showed the World what can happen when one thinks young & gets off of his behind & starts taking chances -- but again, just me!
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 06:52 PM   #9
ford3

right at the top end of what its worth, offer a $1000 less, there are 3 stages to buying a car, 1-the asking price 2- the offering price 3- the selling price, a hand full of $100 dollar bills is a hard thing to turn down, if he says no you haven't lost any thing, you can always buy it for the asking price, dicker with him a little, come up a hundred dollars at a time, but the price is right at the top of retail
ford3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 07:17 PM   #10
Ross/Kzoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by H. L. Chauvin View Post
Hi Smitty,

FWIW, like it or not, just one sincere, humble opinion.

1. So very few Model A's are almost showroom perfect.

2. If it really "suits" you ....... buy it & drive it .......... tinker with the minor stuff one at a time .......... keep it running, & never look back.

3. If somebody else grabs it, you may always have a story for your grandkids on how you "almost" bought the very dream vehicle of your life.

4. If you drive any car to MacDonald's you are taking a chance on the highway; if you start a new business you are taking a chance -- if you get married, you are taking a chance -- only successful individuals never give up on taking chances -- pessimistic moaners & groaners always think everybody else has it made, but they never ever "kept taking" chances.

5. Just remember, $14,800 can buy lots of fancy meals, lots of fancy clothes, lots of expensive football game tickets, lots of good whiskey, lots of smooth riding lawn mowers & electronic push button washing machines; but it is "yours" ....... "you" earned it ....... & you what "you" want to do.

6. Just me!
Very profound!

BTW I like the car and it looks like a keeper to me.
Ross/Kzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 08:15 PM   #11
Mitch//pa
BANNED

i would like to see the engine and undercarriage also...
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 08:33 PM   #12
mhsprecher

Not too much to add here, but as good as they look sometimes, you find you will have a lot to do nonetheless. I bought two really nice cars myself in the last two years. This morning I was filing a bunch of my receipts for parts bought and I surprised myself at how much I had purchased. Unless you really have to restore one yourself as a rite of passage, buy the best one you can afford. It wouldn't hurt to get another pair of educated eyes on it, as well.
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 09:13 PM   #13
Clem Clement

is that rust on the front apron? Easy to fix, but what else is rusty?
Clem Clement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 09:25 PM   #14
BudP

If you buy it, give the service components a very thorough review. I was getting ready to put an engine into a 1929 Fordor today and I discovered the pedal to the cross shaft rod had a clevis pin WITHOUT a cotter pin in it. I had only driven the car ten miles before buying it and I knew the engine would have to be rebuilt but I never expected the seller to forget to put a cotter pin into the primary brake rod after he pulled the engine and decided to sell the car.
BudP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 09:53 PM   #15
jr-41ford

It's worth whatever you're willing to pay for it.

The flaws that you described are minor, in my opinion.

If it's what you want, then go for it and enjoy it.
jr-41ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 10:04 PM   #16
George Miller

Special coupes are special. My first Model A was a special coupe, but at the time I did not know what a special coupe was. I though some one had messed up the rear window area. I say buy it.
George Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 10:07 PM   #17
holdover

I have lived a long life and am on the near side of turning 70. Looking back there were many times I should of acted on something, but I didn't and most of those misses I regretted. If this car is what you want and you can afford it, go for it. Look it over real close maybe have someone knowledgeable about Model As with you for advice or a second opinion, get under it look for rust and shoddy work etc. etc. Drive it , if it is all well done consider what you would have to invest in time and money to duplicate it. There are few things that I can not do when it comes to restoring a vehicle, mechanical, paint etc is done in-house here, but the older I get the more I lean towards buy and drive rather than buy and restore, especially if it is done well and being sold at a fair price. Too many of us tire or die before that project is done, me I would rather turn the key, retard the spark, press the starter and drive off. Good luck..
holdover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 11:26 PM   #18
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

I don't think that too far off the mark especially if you are planning to keep it and not re-sell it.
Old 07-14-2014, 05:03 AM   #19
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

H.L. Is a scholar. What he says makes good sense ! If you want it go get it and start enjoying it. A day delayed is a day without a big smile on your face !
Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 06:24 AM   #20
Great Lakes Greg

A Special Coupe with the top looking half way decent is a catch. I agree with the others, that it is at the top of the price range, but it initially looks okay. The tires give me pause, and may be your bargaining chip. Replacing them is $800, or more if you go with metal valve stems.
Great Lakes Greg is offline   Reply With Quote