Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-27-2013, 06:03 PM   #1
paints4me2

Default Speedway Super 97 Carbs

trying to get any feedback on quality of these carbs versus the new stomberg ones . the 97,s I have are making me feel like they came off a boat and tired of dumping money into them . Any input would be greatly apreciated Thanks Ralph
paints4me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:30 PM   #2
aussiesteve

Default Re: Speedway Super 97 Carbs

Don,t waste your time with the speedway 97,s
aussiesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:33 PM   #3
paints4me2

Can I ask you why? Ralph
Old 01-27-2013, 06:53 PM   #4
JM 35 Sedan

They received some very bad press when they first came out. The overwhelming consensus back then was to stay away from them...far away. I haven't heard anything about them lately....good or bad. If you want new + high quality, I don't think you can do any better than the ones being made in England. Uncle Max sells them. Contact him about your needs and wish him a happy birthday .

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:33 PM   #5
ken ct
BANNED

Uncle Max has the good ones from England. BUT ORIGINAL ones can be ok if rebuilt right. OMO. ken ct.
ken ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:40 PM   #6
paints4me2

does anybody have Max's number
Old 01-27-2013, 10:13 PM   #7
Scottsman

Mac's number is 800 777 0948 or Macsautoparts.com and order there. I am running a pair of 97's that I bought in a box in Charlotte last year, ordered a kit from Mac's and set it up as per instructions and they run perfectly. I'll admit I had to take them off once to seal the main jet covers with non hardening sealer. I also ordered the banjo fittings from the hot rod shop and they solved all the other leaking line issues. My experience is such that if they ever experience even the smallest back fire from too low timing they will have to have a new Power Valve every time. I run an electric pump so leak down is no longer an issue as well.
Scottsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:48 PM   #8
paints4me2

thanks for the reponses. seems that the verdict is to stay awaway from the super 97 and just go with the new stromberg. thanks again Ralph
Old 01-27-2013, 11:05 PM   #9
uncle max

Do not confuse "Macs" with "Max", if the purchase price is important to you.
uncle max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:14 PM   #10
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by paints4me2 View Post
does anybody have Max's number
Uncle Max is a member here. You can click on community, then members. Plug Uncle Max into the search function. When you find his membership listing, click on his Avatar/Name and you will get a drop down box that will allow you to send him a PM or email message. He is great to do business with.

OR you can just click on his Avatar/Name in his post above to send him a pm/email since he made a post while I was typing the info above .

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 01-27-2013 at 11:27 PM.
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:16 AM   #11
1oldtimer

Many postings on the HAMB about the quality or the lack of for the Speedway supers.
1oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:19 AM   #12
ken ct
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottsman View Post
Mac's number is 800 777 0948 or Macsautoparts.com and order there. I am running a pair of 97's that I bought in a box in Charlotte last year, ordered a kit from Mac's and set it up as per instructions and they run perfectly. I'll admit I had to take them off once to seal the main jet covers with non hardening sealer. I also ordered the banjo fittings from the hot rod shop and they solved all the other leaking line issues. My experience is such that if they ever experience even the smallest back fire from too low timing they will have to have a new Power Valve every time. I run an electric pump so leak down is no longer an issue as well.
Stroms dont suffer from the backfire problems that 94's do with regard to blowouts. There not vacume operated. ken ct.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:29 AM   #13
my4dv8

MAX = quality..... macs = imports . Shop uncle MAX.
my4dv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:50 AM   #14
flatmotor40

I run a set of Super97's and had no problem with them for almost 3 years now.to me know it is this sorry gas that we have to run that you better add something to it to get the water out.Had trouble with my 55 chevy after it sat a while.Messed up the injectors.So now I add Stabil
flatmotor40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:49 PM   #15
alchemy

I bet Uncle Max could rebuild your real 97's to better than new. I can vouch for his work.
alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:53 PM   #16
Matt in Alameda

A Friend of mine put two Super 7's on his fresh '40 flathead...he said they ran perfect out of the boxes..with no adjustments..he has 6500 miles on the pickup with no problems....Matt in Alameda
Matt in Alameda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:55 PM   #17
BUBBAS IGNITION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottsman View Post
I guess I am a little confused, I thought only the 94s had a power valve issue and the 97s were pretty bullitt proof...?..
BUBBAS IGNITION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:08 PM   #18
uncle max

Don't let one man's confusion get contagious...
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUBBAS IGNITION View Post
I guess I am a little confused, I thought only the 94s had a power valve issue and the 97s were pretty bullitt proof...?..
uncle max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:25 AM   #19
ken ct
BANNED

Your right Jim & Max. LOL ken ct.
Old 09-30-2016, 06:05 PM   #20
drolston

Update on Speedway Super 97's. Made a big investment in three chrome Super 97's; one primary, two secondary without chokes or idle circuits. One initial quality gripe that one of the secondaries had the top with a rib, the other two carbs did not. Annoying but not a show stopper. Gripe #2, one float was set too high, one two low, one was right on. That is basic quality issue.

After one year and maybe 20 hours on the road, one float sank and poured gas all over the top of the engine when I was trying to start in my garage. Lucky I did not burn the house down. They use "nitrile" (plastic?) floats, bonded to the metal pivot and adjustment tab. The sent me three new floats very quickly. If you bend the adjustment tab by holding the float, you can break the seal between float and metal piece, and down she goes. The instructions are clear on that point, but it is a dangerous design flaw. Should be idiot proof!

Other than that, they run great and look awesome. I say buy them with caution. Adjust the floats very carefully per instructions.
drolston is offline   Reply With Quote