Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-03-2016, 05:07 PM   #1
Tubby

Default Driveshaft coupler pins removal

I have a 1939 deluxe with original equipment. I am having trouble budging the pins that secure the driveshaft coupler to the pinion shaft. I have drilled out the peened over heads, but still cannot drive the pins out. Anyone have a suggestions?
If I can't get the pins out, the only way I can see going forward is to cut the couple off.
Tubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 05:24 PM   #2
skidmarks

Default Re: Driveshaft coupler pins removal

If you started dead center of the pin. Drill all the way through . Might release
skidmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 06:02 PM   #3
oldford2

Be sure you drill the peened over head completely into the coupler. Then support the coupler from the bottom. Use the correct size drift and they will drive out fairly easily. Don't try drilling them out because if the first hole is not centered you will be drilling into the shaft. New couplers are available if you drill too deeply.
JMO
John
oldford2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 06:07 PM   #4
Tubby

I have done everything you suggested and the pins won't budge. Has anyone else had this experience, and what did you do to resolve?
Old 11-03-2016, 07:55 PM   #5
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubby View Post
I have done everything you suggested and the pins won't budge. Has anyone else had this experience, and what did you do to resolve?
I would suggest drilling completely through the pin. Use a smaller diameter bit than the actual... say around .187". With the hole completely through you will have relieved some of the pressure pl;aced into that pin when it was swedged.
Using that .187" bit you will have a "ledge" of sorts on the remainder of the pin to place a good drift against. Be certain the shaft (coupler) is firmly supported when applying the hammer blows.
Old 11-03-2016, 07:55 PM   #6
PeteVS

If the splines are worn, the pin might have partially sheared. Then, you'd be trying to push a portion of the pin from one hole into another which isn't aligned with the first. It's a bear.
Old 11-03-2016, 08:05 PM   #7
skidmarks

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteVS View Post
If the splines are worn, the pin might have partially sheared. Then, you'd be trying to push a portion of the pin from one hole into another which isn't aligned with the first. It's a bear.
Have had this issue a few times. Sometimes its easier to split the coupler but if you do this with a cutoff wheel make sure to tape up the pinion bearings good. Start with cutting the coupler off between the driveshaft and the pinion. There is a narrow space between the two.
skidmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 11:07 PM   #8
Tubby

Thanks for the suggestions; was able to finally get the pinion shaft pin out, but the pin through the driveshaft is still stuck. I think I will need to split the coupler.
Old 11-03-2016, 11:10 PM   #9
super flat

Drill both sides off in to the shaft a little. It will come off. Gary
Old 11-04-2016, 05:25 AM   #10
JM 35 Sedan

The last one I took apart, the previous owner had tried to remove the pin by grinding the end off, and also ground half way through the coupler wall, then tried to get the pin out by driving it off center.
I applied a little direct heat to that area which helped define the real diameter of the pin again, drilled a hole into the pin half its diameter, about 1/4" deep, and drove the pin completely out using a small drift.
I have also had some with worn splines that cut halfway into the side of the pin in two places. These were a bit difficult to remove, but I never had to cut the coupling in half to get these apart.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 06:38 AM   #11
britman

make a pointed tool for your pneumatic chisel--place it in the center of the pin--hit trigger in brief spurts--it will very likely come right out.
britman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 06:40 AM   #12
Bursonaw

When it's time for assembly fill the coupling with grease. Attach the coupling and pin to the drive shaft first. Then when you put the coupling on the pinion you will have to force the coupling on. You should see grease being forced out of the splines. This should keep your pins from breaking in the future and avoid your issue if you ever have to remove the pins in the future. I did this on a rebuild 40 years ago and when I recently pulled the rear apart it was like the day I installed it. There are also quick disconnect pins I see available on eBay. Sure makes it nice to get things apart when you have to.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Bursonaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 08:41 AM   #13
scooder

Just make sure the pin you use is soft, no high tensile stuff, cue that would and does snap.
Martin.
scooder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 05:27 PM   #14
Tubby

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions
Old 11-06-2016, 09:00 PM   #15
Karl Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooder View Post
Just make sure the pin you use is soft, no high tensile stuff, cue that would and does snap.
Martin.
I think about what would happen if the pin shears- I like the old time cure, a kit with a spring that goes half way around the coupler. The ends of the pin get riveted by the user- you- This holds the pin parts from going to the pinion bearings.
My answer at the moment may be to put a radiator hose clamp over the riveted ends of the pin.

Karl
Karl Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote