Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-22-2012, 11:54 PM   #21
40cpe

Default Re: T86 clutch and pressure plate

way to go, Dave. You are a detail machine!
40cpe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 07:09 AM   #22
tdlmomowers

It's nice to work with clean parts. It will all look great when back together.
tdlmomowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 01:17 PM   #23
Hivolt5.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40cpe View Post
way to go, Dave. You are a detail machine!
Thanks Mr. Purser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdlmomowers View Post
It's nice to work with clean parts. It will all look great when back together.
Thanks, I may not know how to act if my hands don't get greasy putting it back together. haha
Hivolt5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 03:09 PM   #24
Ole Don

Remember, when working down there, the job is not complete without something in your eye or a finger leaking blood. Such is the enjoyment of old cars.
Ole Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 05:34 PM   #25
Mac VP

Hivolt....I just noticed your thread on the trans. I recently did that same trans for another customer, so I am familiar with it and the overdrive. FYI...the T86 trans was a Borg Warner unit and unfortunately NONE of the gears will interchange with the regular Ford standard trannies of that era.....except of course any other T86 from another Ford. We normally have most of the gears here and can get other pieces if needed from our other sources.

Judging from your pics.....and it was hard to see much, but I saw jagged teeth on the first gear portion of the cluster gear. You said that the 1st/reverse slider gear was also worn but I didnt see much in the pic. In either case, the wear on these two gears would certainly tend to cause problems with popping out of 1st gear.

We have all the gaskets and seals in fresh stock in case you need any of that. We also do rebuilding if you can't find anyone close to you for the work.

Was the overdrive part working ok?
www.vanpeltsales.com
www.classictransmission.com
Mac VP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 08:07 AM   #26
georgewarren

Things are looking good! I always thought that 312s came with the heavy duty t85. All my 312s had the t85, and my 272 and 292s had a different tranny than the one you have; they had a rectangular side cover (the same as all my flatheads) The only tranny that I had that had a top cover was in a 56 F100. Good luck!
georgewarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 02:17 PM   #27
Hivolt5.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Don View Post
Remember, when working down there, the job is not complete without something in your eye or a finger leaking blood. Such is the enjoyment of old cars.
Haha! Yeah, and when your fingers are the greasiest your nose itches.

Old cars are great.
Old 01-27-2012, 02:40 PM   #28
Hivolt5.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac VP View Post
Hivolt....I just noticed your thread on the trans. I recently did that same trans for another customer, so I am familiar with it and the overdrive. FYI...the T86 trans was a Borg Warner unit and unfortunately NONE of the gears will interchange with the regular Ford standard trannies of that era.....except of course any other T86 from another Ford. We normally have most of the gears here and can get other pieces if needed from our other sources.

Judging from your pics.....and it was hard to see much, but I saw jagged teeth on the first gear portion of the cluster gear. You said that the 1st/reverse slider gear was also worn but I didnt see much in the pic. In either case, the wear on these two gears would certainly tend to cause problems with popping out of 1st gear.

We have all the gaskets and seals in fresh stock in case you need any of that. We also do rebuilding if you can't find anyone close to you for the work.

Was the overdrive part working ok?
Thank you for the info Mac VP. I bought the Ranchero from 40Cpe a few years ago and he has another T86 that I'm going to get from him to hopefully do some gear swapping. I also bought a gasket and synchro set from Ole Don to use in the rebuild. (Thanks guys!!!!!!) Do you think I could rebuild the transmission myself if I have a good manual?? Like most people, I have more time than money so I try to do as much as I can on these projects.

As for the OD portion, I've never had it working. 40Cpe said that it whined some over 45 mph but it wouldn't go into OD when I purchased it from him. We both think there are some wiring issues. You can hear the relay clicking on the firewall and I have a new kickdown switch to install.
Old 01-27-2012, 02:43 PM   #29
Hivolt5.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgewarren View Post
Things are looking good! I always thought that 312s came with the heavy duty t85. All my 312s had the t85, and my 272 and 292s had a different tranny than the one you have; they had a rectangular side cover (the same as all my flatheads) The only tranny that I had that had a top cover was in a 56 F100. Good luck!
Thanks George! Yes, I believe you are correct that 312s came with the T85 from the factory. The Ranchero originally had a 292. 40Cpe found the 312 in junk yard (I believe), rebuilt it and installed it in the Ranchero.
Old 01-27-2012, 03:56 PM   #30
Mac VP

HiVolt....I hesitate to suggest that anyone attempt to rebuild an overdrive on their own the very first time. Even if you have all day long to mess with it, you can easily get some of the parts installed incorrectly.....or forget a small part. Ask me how I know!

Ford had a halfway decent shop manual in those years that showed how to repair the OD trans. You have to look a little harder to find one that is specific to the T-86 version, although the basic parts are the same for the OD section. Since you will have to tear down the entire trans to get to the cluster gear etc, having the correct pictures for the T-86 would help. You can see the basic parts drawing on our website. Here is the link:

http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/F...60-272-292.jpg

http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/F...D_1955to56.jpg

Let us know if you need any help on parts.
www.vanpeltsales.com
www.classictransmission.com
Mac VP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 11:58 PM   #31
Hivolt5.0

Well, I'm still trying to save up the necessary funds to get the T86/OD transmission rebuilt and get a new clutch and pressure plate. However, I did pick up a couple of 3 speed transmissions from 40Cpe (Thank you!!) in the hopes one of them would tide me over until I can get all of the necessary pieces to rebuild the T86/OD. Upon inspecting the two 3 speeds, one had some chipped gears and the other one had perfect gears. Yeah! But the transmissions had been sitting for awhile and after researching the cost of a new gasket kit and bearings I decided to rebuild the good transmission with new gaskets and such. I was able to take it apart and clean all the shumtz out of it. The inside of the tail shaft was especially nasty. I also got the driveshaft and trans cross-member cleaned up and painted. (I did learn to not use ACE Hardware brand black paint. I wanted gloss black and ended up with dull charcoal grey. Oh well.) Anyway, here are some pictures.

Transmission before (obviously)

Here she is all cleaned up. The case is still empty, haven't bought the gasket set yet, but I decided to mock it up just to see what it will look like.

And the rebuilt starter. I still need to paint the case though.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:39 AM   #32
Hivolt5.0

Well, I finally got the 3 speed transmission rebuilt (new bearings, synchros, gaskets, etc) and will be installing it within the next couple days. I just have one question, what gear lube should I use in it? Is it ok to use Synthetic gear oil?

Your inputs will be greatly appreciated.

thanks,
David
Old 04-24-2012, 01:14 PM   #33
Ole Don

Part of what makes sythetics so good, is the ability for them to seek places to lubricate. That means it will also seek a place to come out and mess up your new paint. I like plain old 85 - 90 gear lube. In Florida, maybe even 90 - 140 if you drive it a lot in the heat.
Ole Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 10:48 PM   #34
Hivolt5.0

Thanks Ole Don! I bought some gear oil based on your recommendation.

Well, I was able to get the transmission installed last Thursday evening with the help of a good friend. The install went well and looks good. The only issue I have is when you press the clutch pedal it just doesn't feel like anything is happening. The Z-bar doesn't seem to be relaying the clutch pedal movement to the clutch fork. I ordered some new bushings for the Z-bar, the ones in there now are worn out. I hope that solves the issue. Anyway, I know you guys have probably seen these steps before on your own rides, but I'm pretty excited about it.

Got the transmission back together with no left over parts and it spins very nicely.

I bought the clutch and pressure plate from Bob's Automotive. What a great guy and he has a huge collection of NOS parts for many different years of Ford vehicles. Here's link to his ad on the Ford Barn.
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showth...pressure+plate

One of the "oh no" issues I had was with the inspection cover for the bell housing. I didn't have one so I posted a "Want" ad on both the Ford Barn and the HAMB. A HAMBer contacted me first with one and I bought. After getting it all cleaned up I realized it won't work. The cover is for a different model bell housing. Does anyone know what motor bell housing this inspection cover would work with? I had a hard time finding one and I'm thinking about modifying this one to work, but if someone needs this cover please let me know. I hate to cut up a perfect cover if someone needs one.

You can see it won't work with my bell housing. Different shape and bolt pattern.

Last picture I have of the bell housing and such all bolted to the motor.