Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-12-2016, 05:48 PM   #41
smittykid

Default Re: Checking fuel level in tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphanna View Post
Here is what I use for fuel dipstick measures on 28-29 10 gal tanks. I am not sure where I found this but I think it is accurate. I have a stick that I marked on one side for the 11 gal tank which is what I have and on the other side I marked for the 10 gal tank.

I checked my stick that I measured by emptying the tank and adding one gal. at a time and measuring for my 11 gal tank. I found it to be very close to what H.L. Chauvin posted.

Here is for the 10 gal. tank:
1--= 1 1/2 inches
2--= 2 1/2
3--= 3 7/16
4--=4 3/16
5--=5 in
6--= 5 13/16
7--= 6 11/16
8--= 7 1/2
9--= 8 9/16
10--=10 1/16
Thank you!
smittykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 05:58 PM   #42
bobpo1

After running out of gas a couple of times, I removed the filler tube screen as the arm to the float was hanging up on it and giving me a false reading. Since I didn't want to take the gauge assembly out again, I also made myself a wooden level gauge stick. It is marked in 4 equal increments. Always tells the truth.
bobpo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 07:28 PM   #43
BILL WILLIAMSON

Why not fill the tank, when it gets down to 1/2 tank??? Sounds like my Kids, when they were young & CHEEP!
BUT, as Chief always said, "WE are all CHILDREN, in OLD SKINS"!---LOL--So, what do we do????
Bill Child
Old 02-12-2016, 10:24 PM   #44
johnsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hale1776 View Post
Gauge easy to remove get kit wrench fits the face of gauge it unscrews cork gaskets and glass seal it. Whole gauge with wire and cork will come out front. When you see it you wont believe how simple it is. Replace new cork on end of wire that got bent by some idiot jamming a stick or a gas nozzle into tank. Gauge will now be correct and stay that way rest of your life. When filling tank stand on running board and lean over nozzle never more than an inch or two in tank. Stop when you can see the gas, blurp few times to make it look like you know what your doing. Rotate gas nozzle slowly up and out so last drop goes into tank not on paint, pause for dramatic effect, then your done. Throw smelly stick away or better yet sell it on eBay. A stick jeez...........
Totally agree with Hale. The Model A has a very simple fuel gauge, easy to remove, repair, replace float, assure it operates smoothly and correct if necessary and easily to reinstall. Henry's design is simple and accurate. I wouldn't jam a stick into the tank possibly damaging the fuel gauge.
johnsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 11:40 AM   #45
katy

Quote:
Traveling in the middle of nowhere with cash sometimes helps.
I always carry cash, and some spare (cash).

Quote:
Why not fill the tank, when it gets down to 1/2 tank???
My Dad used to say: " If you keep the top half full, the bottom half will look after itself."
Old 02-13-2016, 12:00 PM   #46
JimK1930A

My original gas gauge cork dissolved, so I use a wood 12 inch paint stirring stick to measure the gas level. Somewhat like the Model T's used.
When buying gas, I lower the stick into my tank, then take it out to see where the wet level is? I have the gas strainer in my tank. When my gas gets just at or near the bottom of the strainer I mark the stick with a pencil, when I fill my tank I look at the pump and note how many gallons I put in, then put the stick back in and mark the stick again where the full line is. If I drive say 50 miles, I put the stick into the tank and mark the stick of 50 miles and so on. I am sure there are many ways of doing this, but it works for me!
JimK1930A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 01:25 PM   #47
31 Model A

Location: Here I am in front of Todd's Grocery in 1931 selling Grit newspapers

I have always top off my autos, Army habit that stuck. I've only ran out of gas once in my life and a divorce soon followed!!!!! Pretty hard to run out of gas when you own a VW Beetle but I did................wouldn't have been so bad if I had been in civilization where I could have filled up but..NO!!! I had to be out in the middle of nowhere!!!!

"Hey Lady, ya wanna buy a Grit?"

"If you don't learn to laugh at trouble, you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old" Will Rogers
31 Model A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 01:45 PM   #48
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Just wondering why many would rather use a stick over repairing the gauge which is very simple to do.....
Then stink out the car or the trunk with fuel odor....

A lazy

B. Cheap

C. Lack of mechanical ability

D. All of the above

E. None of the above
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 02:00 PM   #49
DougVieyra

E: None of the Above.
----------------------------

You left off one very important reason. It is the same reason we prefer to drive our 'old cars' - nostalgia. The uniqueness of using a 'dip stick' is a novelty that suits some of us, and allows a certain amount of 'theatre' to the process - particularly when others are watching !
DougVieyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 02:00 PM   #50
redmodelt

There is a good reason the spark arrester is in the tank! Ok that being said, try using a clear tube that is marked. Dip it in, put your thumb over the end, pull it out, read and release. Then get to fixing the gauge and put your arrester back like it should be.
redmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 04:14 PM   #51
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougVieyra View Post
E: None of the Above.
----------------------------

You left off one very important reason. It is the same reason we prefer to drive our 'old cars' - nostalgia. The uniqueness of using a 'dip stick' is a novelty that suits some of us, and allows a certain amount of 'theatre' to the process - particularly when others are watching !
Very well said Doug and done with class ! Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 04:21 PM   #52
H. L. Chauvin

Just One (1) Humble Opinion:

No doubt ..... everybody is absolutely right about how to measure their gas.

Also .... nobody is ever wrong about how to measure their gas.

However ...... it doesn't appear too important to worry about other people's gas ..... but ..... maybe be concerned about your own gas.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 04:39 PM   #53
Ted Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
We'd just ROCK the CAR & listen for SLOSHING SOUNDS, "Well, sounds like enough to git to the FILLIN' STATION"----------
Bill Cheep
Bill,
I used to do that in my 1951 Chevy Bel Air hardtop when I was in college, working part time for buck and a quarter an hour and commuting. Gas was cheap, but I was always short, and (IF it was quiet at the Sinclair station) I could shake the car and listen and maybe get by with 50 cents worth until tomorrow. Damn gas gauge was NEVER accurate, but I wish I had kept that car even if it was a Chevrolet.
Ted Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 04:55 PM   #54
Bruce Adams

I hope this photo of a Snyders dip stick works.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160213_162759_resized-2.jpg (33.9 KB, 92 views)
Bruce Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 05:33 PM   #55
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Duke View Post
Bill,
I used to do that in my 1951 Chevy Bel Air hardtop when I was in college, working part time for buck and a quarter an hour and commuting. Gas was cheap, but I was always short, and (IF it was quiet at the Sinclair station) I could shake the car and listen and maybe get by with 50 cents worth until tomorrow. Damn gas gauge was NEVER accurate, but I wish I had kept that car even if it was a Chevrolet.
Although I love my Model A Fords I love my 1931 Chevrolet. It is a classy, fast car, totally original. A lot fancier than the Model A Fords. Wayne
Old 02-13-2016, 05:34 PM   #56
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Adams View Post
I hope this photo of a Snyders dip stick works.
Thanks Bruce, I forgot I had a Snyders stick under the seat. Wayne
Old 02-13-2016, 05:43 PM   #57
redmodelt

Gold Digger The open ended wrench is tractor, the T never came with a "stick" or anything to measure your gas, got em free from the gas station or dealer.
redmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 08:31 PM   #58
w.michael

Another reason not to use a stick : If you have the pencil filter in the top of your gas shut off valve, you can smash the filter using a gas gauge stick. Don't ask me how I know.

I once ran out of gas in the 4th of July parade. That embarrassed me enough that I fixed the gas gauge by replacing the float.

W. Michael
w.michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 09:27 PM   #59
H. L. Chauvin

FWIW: (Concerning a gas stick for my 1930 (11) gallon tanks)

On my three (3) 1930, (11) gallon tanks, the fuel drain for the shut off valve, (and the vertical cylindrical screen filter), is off center, on the passenger's side, on the other side of a solid sheet metal baffle, completely out of view from the gas tank centered filler opening, and not within reach of a normal "straight" wooden fuel measuring stick.

Never had a 1929 Model A; hence, never noticed the position of the shut off valve on a 1929 tank.

Could be more to learn about sticking a Model A gas tank ..... one never knows.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 10:22 PM   #60
w.michael

I'm very talented at smashing things.

W. Michael
w.michael is offline   Reply With Quote