Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-08-2016, 10:59 AM   #1
whizzernick

Default NEW POSTS I just dont I dont understand

I just dont undertand about new posts. It seems to me that new posts should contune for a while. Today new post went for no pages but some times it goes for several pages.

Also all the stuff at the top of this page should have a spelling link as some of us caint spell
whizzernick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 11:05 AM   #2
Anton Voycheck

Default Re: NEW POSTS I just dont I dont understand

Whether a "new" post (new thread) ends after one page or "goes on for several pages" is determined by the number of members who post on a particular thread. So if dozens of members chime in on a particular thread (new post), then it will go on for several pages. If no one responds or just a few people respond then the "new post" (new thread) will only be one page. Hope this is clear.
Anton Voycheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 11:39 AM   #3
itslow

Whether a thread displays in your browser as having "new posts" depends upon the last time you visited, your forum view settings, and your browser's cookies. If few or no replies or new threads have been posted since your last visit, the list will be short.

Wanted:
- '32-34 Open Cab Pickup (RPU) parts and documents/articles/info
- ARDUN parts
itslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 12:49 PM   #4
OLD AS I

hope I'm checking new posts correctly, Just checked and found this posting, so when I check if any posts are BOLD lettering it's new since the last time I looked, right ? then if I read it and no one else adds anything then its no longer BOLD lettering, if someone adds something after Ive left the site then it comes up BOLD again, right ?
I'm really hooked on this site, check 2, 3 or perhaps 4 times a day, info seems endless
OLD AS I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 01:09 PM   #5
Mart

^^^That's right, except (for me at least) if I open forum, lots of new posts are highlighted by being bold. I read a few, but might skip some. If I refresh the page, only one or two will be highlighted, at the top. these are the ones that someone else has responded to since I last came onto the forum. the ones I have not looked at are no longer highlighted even though I have not looked at them.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 01:19 PM   #6
Pomeroy41144

Quote:
Originally Posted by whizzernick View Post
I just dont undertand about new posts. It seems to me that new posts should contune for a while. Today new post went for no pages but some times it goes for several pages.

Also all the stuff at the top of this page should have a spelling link as some of us caint spell
It seems he is asking about the length ("several pages") of the posts, not whether they are highlighted as read or unread. I guess the OP will have to come back and clarify.
Pomeroy41144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 03:10 PM   #7
51 MERC-CT

Quote:

When you open up the 'Reply' window, right click and a 'spell check' option will appear. Click on it to activate. Then when you have a misspelled word it will be red underlined. Click on the misspelled word and spelling options will appear or automatically correct.
Old 12-08-2016, 07:55 PM   #8
redmodelt

If you are asking about opening a post that has several pages, just like doing a document in Word or Office each page (think of it as an 8 1/2 X 11 sheet of paper) is only so long and once it gets filled the new reply's go to the next page then to the next...And every time someone post a reply (just opening and reading does not move it) the subject gets moved back to the top. Some subjects just have more people replying so gets more pages and more bumps.
Old 12-08-2016, 08:29 PM   #9
Paul Bennett

Quote:
. ..It seems to me that new posts should contune for a while...
Why? I really need to and must know.
Sometimes quiet is appreciated, especially when no one has anything to offer. OTOH fascinating threads can last over 4000 pages . I cite H.A.M.B. vintage phots.

Re: spelling - I use both Firefox and Chrome browser (suspect I.E. too) and they both put a red line under all misspelled words as you type them and a simple right click corrects them. OTOH does your life revolve around a dumb phone? Donno . Hope your eye sight lasts a few years, mine can't do a SP (smart phone)(and my wallet can't either) so I'm biased there. God invented 24" monitors for my eyes and wallet

FYI, if your browser doesn't automatically spell check, google SC and your browser's name to 'enable' it.
GL MC HNY
Paul Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 10:25 PM   #10
redmodelt

RE; God invented 24" monitors for my eyes and wallet
Old 12-08-2016, 11:42 PM   #11
willowbilly3

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldasi View Post
hope I'm checking new posts correctly, Just checked and found this posting, so when I check if any posts are BOLD lettering it's new since the last time I looked, right ? then if I read it and no one else adds anything then its no longer BOLD lettering, if someone adds something after Ive left the site then it comes up BOLD again, right ?
I'm really hooked on this site, check 2, 3 or perhaps 4 times a day, info seems endless
I think they just go "not bold" on your computer. On mine it would still be bold if I hadn't opened it since there was a reply.
I like this forum, lots of good stuff and just about the right amount of activity. I kinda quit checking in or starting threads on the HAMB because stuff falls off page 10 overnight unless someone comments while the ink is still wet.
willowbilly3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 09:25 PM   #12
paul2748

Posts go bold when first made or a reply is made to it.

If you visit the site, the bold will go off everywhere when you leave the site, whether or not you visited the section or read a certain post.
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote