Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-11-2016, 09:15 AM   #21
Barry-ct

Default Re: Garage Cabinets

Beautiful garage, but I am a slob and it's just too much work to keep it that nice. I love the size and the height of that garage. I'd think that I died and went to heaven if that was mine. I'd never want to go in the house!

50 F-1
Barry-ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 10:29 AM   #22
funrunr

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51 MERC-CT View Post
Hope I'm not the only one trying to figure out how, if the cabinets were reduced to splinters, they were used?
I can't figure that one out either.
Old 12-11-2016, 12:21 PM   #23
5851a

My stepdad built shelves in each corner of the garage from restaurant table tops. Formica covered and about 3 ft. square. Couple 2X4s for the outside corners and 1X2s on the studs for support. Think he bought then at a furniture salvage place. Also the recycled kitchen cupboards for the walls, had to be dirt cheap and work great.
5851a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 02:04 PM   #24
V12Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51 MERC-CT View Post
Hope I'm not the only one trying to figure out how, if the cabinets were reduced to splinters, they were used?
The splintered cabinets were the ones that I hadn't had time to remove myself.
V12Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 04:11 PM   #25
wamnram

I have the New Age cabinets in my residential garage, purchased early this year. I would consider them commercial grade, not industrial strength. The cabinet shelves are pretty light gauge steel, and are adequate for maybe 50 lbs. definitely not strong enough if your storing iron heads, gears, hubs, etc. They are fairly well made and do look very nice. Stainless tops are glued to what looks like pressboard, heavy but not so strong. If you put a cabinet under them they're plenty strong. Tall storage cabinets also require one shelf in the middle to give the doors a latch point. The assembly nuts and bolts are cheap metric crap, but do the job. Floor cabinets have nice adjustable feet with nylon slides on the bottoms, you can get quite a bit of adjustment out of them. Personally I am satisfied with them for what I need. One other thing, don't buy them unless they are on sale, I think sale prices are about what they should sell for for what you get.

Last edited by wamnram; 03-20-2019 at 07:23 PM.
wamnram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 04:36 PM   #26
mercman from oz

Wow, what an amazing Home Garage you have Tom. It would put a lot of Business Shops to shame. Would love to see pictures of it with your cars parked inside. Room for lots of Project Cars in this size Garage.
mercman from oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 05:59 PM   #27
encantotom

not trying to hijack the thread as i spent alot of time thinking about cabinets, but several of you made comments about my garage.

here are a few more pictures. i do use the garage. i work on my rv, my own cars, and you can see that in the few months since i got my 40 fordor that i have been working on it. i am redoing all the small things that needed attention and then am going to have the interior and trunk totally redone. right now i am doing the dynamat and things to do as much as i can myself before it goes to the trimmer.

i use my garage as an extended living area meaning i hang out in it most of the time.

thanks for the nice notes. and good luck to the OP on picking the right cabinets. there are so many choices it is hard to decide.

i welcome any of you in the phoenix area or traveling through to stop by and visit. we love visitors.

tom
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20161211_094722.jpg (67.4 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20161211_094738.jpg (72.7 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20161211_094806.jpg (55.9 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20161211_094815.jpg (52.2 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20161108_121900.jpg (65.7 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg 20160509_191843.jpg (27.8 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg PANO_20161106_082318.jpg (37.7 KB, 30 views)
Wittmann, AZ
encantotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 06:01 PM   #28
encantotom

Quote:
Originally Posted by wamnram View Post
I have the New Age cabinets in my residential garage, purchased early this year. I would consider them commercial grade, not industrial strength. The cabinet shelves are pretty light gauge steel, and are adequate for maybe 50 lbs. definitely not strong enough if your storing iron heads, gears, hubs, etc. They are fairly well made and do look very nice. Stainless tops are glued to what looks like pressboard, heavy but not so strong. If you put a cabinet under them they're plenty strong. Tall storage cabinets also require one shelf in the middle to give the doors a latch point. The assembly nuts and bolts are cheap metric crap, but do the job. Floor cabinets have nice adjustable feet with nylon slides on the bottoms, you can get quite a bit of adjustment out of them. Personally I am satisfied with them for what I need. One other thing, don't buy them unless they are on sale, I think sale prices are about what they should sell for for what you get.
to waynes post. his area looks amazing. nicely done. and his comment is spot on. all this kind of garage cabinets come on sale for substantial savings. ALWAYS look for or wait for the sales.

tom
Wittmann, AZ
encantotom is offline   Reply With Quote