Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-28-2016, 02:57 PM   #1
Royal Ryser

Default How to put it together

I am looking for information about what bolts and screws are used to reassemble my 36 tudor. My restoration has taken far too long and those things I knew I would remember when it came time to put it all back together, have disappeared from my head. Now I have boxes and cans of poorly labeled nuts, bolts and screws to try to get in the right places. Mainly, I am reassembling the dash and other interior parts, and the body parts, fenders and such.

Is there a book that has such detail? I'm sure by trial and lots of error I can get the thing all together but I'm sure it will not be correct. For example, There are several types of screws used in the car's interior. Some have washers and some don't. Some are nickel plated and others not. So, if anyone can direct me to the information I need, it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Royal
Royal Ryser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 03:13 PM   #2
V8COOPMAN

Default Re: How to put it together

Royal.......Roy Nacewics at Fordbolts.com has what is generally known as the ultimate supply of accurate and correct hardware for our old Fords. Click the link below to download one of his catalogs. Plus, Roy is knowledgeable and easy to talk to. DD

http://www.fordscript.com/ford_bolts/products.html

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 03:21 PM   #3
Joe Immler

X2 on v8coopman's post. Plus ALL items are made in the USA. No chinc crap.
Joe Immler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 04:53 PM   #4
4port

Go seek out another car like yours, in your area, and take photos of the fasteners for the specific assemblies in question. Photos prior to disassembly are the key here. American Restoration series were always taking photos first for this very reason. Now you have to reverse engineer.
Old 06-28-2016, 07:23 PM   #5
Royal Ryser

I have a number of Roy's bolt kits but am unsure as to exactly which bolts go where. Yeah, I shoulda taken way more photos. However, my car had been worked over several tiese before I got it and there didn't seem to be any pattern to how the bolts went on, especially the fenders.
Royal Ryser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 05:59 AM   #6
Ford46

The Ford Bible: "Ford V8 Chassis Parts and Accessories Catalogue" Passenger cars 1928 thru 1948 and Trucks 1928 thru 1947. It contains a list of all the parts and part numbers (which includes the bolts, nuts, screw, washers etc. with a breakdown of all the abbreviations). Many diagrams are included. A reproduction is less expense and if you get it all dirty who cares! Just a thought. LouB.
Ford46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 07:39 AM   #7
rockfla

@ Joe Immler

Are you 100% sure his bolts are USA made? I saw nowhere on his site of that claim. I'm not here in anyway to BASH Roy, he is a fine fine man and even a finer person to deal with and we are ALL indebted to his service & Dedication to the Ford & V8 hobby but I am in the "Bolt" business and at this time there is only ONE bolt manufacturer that is "Commercial" producing bolts in the U.S and can "Truly" claim made in the USA and to my knowledge they are not producing thick head bolts like used on some applications.....at least not listed in their catalog that I can buy. That is not to say that he or he has a small machining facility that does his production work...I don't know and have never asked nor have I made any assumption as to where the point of manufacture is.....I will say ANY reputable company selling bolts, nuts, washers of MOST grades must submit lot samples for testing to have proper documentation for any and all bulk shipments of fasteners to be sold here in the US as to the proper chemical, physical and mill test reports for those Items and can be produced at the time of purchase. MOST "Cheap Chinese" bolts people complain about are a result of either previous damage (I.E over torque and bolt stretch and the subsequent re-over torque), too small of a fastener for the application or the wrong grade of fastener for the application.
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 07:49 AM   #8
mfagan

I spoke with Roy some time ago about his products. He indicated to me
that his own shop made many of his products and that many of his suppliers
were relatively local.
mfagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 08:35 AM   #9
rockfla

Good to know, I never inquired when I was around Roy, I figured he wouldn't want to divulge too much info about his suppliers....I wouldn't. I can buy and match a lot of the fasteners used but the problem on the commercial market most of the time is in the "Correct" finish.
Old 06-29-2016, 09:26 AM   #10
rockfla

I can tell you IF he is doing some (or most) on his own he has quite an investment in equipment to do so. Cold heading machines, dies, presses and heat treating equipment for stress relieving. Then...all the plating vats and materials and the constant EPA inspections and disposal of said material, especially cadmium....It would be quite impressive if he's doing it on his own.

Last edited by rockfla; 06-29-2016 at 09:33 AM.