Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-23-2016, 11:35 AM   #21
rotorwrench

Default Re: Blower Question

I think you will find it necessary to use an electric pump. I don't even know if a mechanical pump would fit back there with a blower on there plus a larger carb or duals may need a more positive flow. You can plug the push rod hole with an old bolt sized to fit the hole but not long enough to make any contact to the cam lobe.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 12:04 PM   #22
Fordors

I think I recall seeing that blower for sale some time ago, didn't it have a cracked pulley? Were you able to locate a replacement? I think Camden sold off the design and rights to some other guy specializing in foreign cars.
Old 06-23-2016, 05:00 PM   #23
jrvariel48

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
I think you will find it necessary to use an electric pump. I don't even know if a mechanical pump would fit back there with a blower on there plus a larger carb or duals may need a more positive flow. You can plug the push rod hole with an old bolt sized to fit the hole but not long enough to make any contact to the cam lobe.
Rotowrench, thanks for responding. Will a pump be necessary if I decide to go with two Strombergs?
jrvariel48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 05:00 PM   #24
jrvariel48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordors View Post
I think I recall seeing that blower for sale some time ago, didn't it have a cracked pulley? Were you able to locate a replacement? I think Camden sold off the design and rights to some other guy specializing in foreign cars.
No cracks on the pulley that I can see.
Old 06-23-2016, 05:16 PM   #25
rotorwrench

With two deuces you might want to use a dual port fuel manifold with a pressure regulator. An engine driven pump might do OK if it will fit but will be kind of out of place with the more modern equipment there. An electric pump usually does well if it's as close to the tank outlet as you can get to reduce the draw side to minimum. That way you would have a positive pressure most of the way up to a two port fuel manifold with regulator on the firewall. Many a dual and triple deuce carburetor arrangement have been set up this way over the years. 97 heaven has a photo of a four barrel carb adapter to twin 97s on their site but I don't know if it's a bolt up to what you have or not. Chances are good that it is. Bolt up stuff makes life simpler for sure.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 04:23 AM   #26
jrvariel48

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
With two deuces you might want to use a dual port fuel manifold with a pressure regulator. An engine driven pump might do OK if it will fit but will be kind of out of place with the more modern equipment there. An electric pump usually does well if it's as close to the tank outlet as you can get to reduce the draw side to minimum. That way you would have a positive pressure most of the way up to a two port fuel manifold with regulator on the firewall. Many a dual and triple deuce carburetor arrangement have been set up this way over the years. 97 heaven has a photo of a four barrel carb adapter to twin 97s on their site but I don't know if it's a bolt up to what you have or not. Chances are good that it is. Bolt up stuff makes life simpler for sure.
Thank you for the info!
Old 06-24-2016, 09:50 AM   #27
Ol' Ron

Veen using an electric pump onmy engines for the past 50 years. I feel they are more reliable. (Don't buy by price.)
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 05:06 AM   #28
jrvariel48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Ron View Post
Veen using an electric pump onmy engines for the past 50 years. I feel they are more reliable. (Don't buy by price.)
Ron, could you tell me which unit you use and it's reliability?
Thanks,
Joe
Old 06-25-2016, 07:00 AM   #29
Bored&Stroked

A mechanical pump will definitely handle the job, the bigger question comes down to ease of starting and reliability. If you don't drive the call all the time, one of the challenges with mechanical pumps is that the fuel evaporates out of the carbs (especially in a hot garage), then you have to crank the heck out of the engine to get fuel into the carbs - which isn't exactly easy on your starter. Having an electric fuel pump back by the tank, sure makes it easier to start. Also, the last thing you want with a blower is too little fuel and then a backfire into the blower - even with a pop-off valve, you can surely hurt the blower.
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 04:03 PM   #30
jrvariel48

Is there any way to tell if the carb is boost referenced? Since it came with the blower set up, I'm wondering. It was built in the 1990 was something that was done then?
Old 06-30-2016, 08:22 AM   #31
jrvariel48

Anyone on this topic??
Old 06-30-2016, 09:13 AM   #32
Fordors

If it is a boost referenced p/v then there will be a hose or tubing connecting the carburetor to the intake manifold. Without that connection the carb cannot see boost and the subsequent loss of vacuum in the intake. I have two 600 Holleys on a 6-71, not boost referenced and my blower is kinda loose and I run 15% underdrive. With a vacuum gauge connected to the carb adapter it always pulls vacuum, but on the other hand the vac/boost gauge connected to the manifold shows vacuum with part throttle operation but when you give it some throttle it quickly goes to boost. My particular combination is fine not boost referenced, but your results may vary.
Old 06-30-2016, 09:32 AM   #33
BUBBAS IGNITION

the crab distributor will retard using the vacuum brake . As boost is applied it will push the brake into the retard position.....nice feature.......run it........
BUBBAS IGNITION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 12:12 PM   #34
scooder

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUBBAS IGNITION View Post
the crab distributor will retard using the vacuum brake . As boost is applied it will push the brake into the retard position.....nice feature.......run it........
That can be said of regular vacuum advance ignitions, can't it? If plumbed below the blower, at light throttle you'd get vacuum added ignition advance, when in boost the vacuum can Will see pressure the diaphragm and/or the points plate spring will retard the timing back to the mechanical timing.
I've often wondered why that setup is not used. If you build your mechanical advance so it's limit is where you want it under boost, then plop a vacuum can on to add advance wanted at light throttle no boost area? Is that just to simple? Seems to me to be a bunch cheaper than a boost retard electrickery box. But then I'm not into all that electronic nonsense on a car. If that boost retard Box goes pop, what happens? Does it just not retard? That could be a engine nightmare under boost. If the vacuum can diaphragm goes pop, your timing goes safe to the retard position, if the vacuum line comes off, same thing. Sounds a bunch safer on engine parts.
So am I missing something here? If so, could someone explain why my idea is no good please.
Really like to get an answer on this.
Martin.
scooder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 12:15 PM   #35
scooder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrvariel48 View Post
Is there any way to tell if the carb is boost referenced? Since it came with the blower set up, I'm wondering. It was built in the 1990 was something that was done then?
If you go through Joe abbins book, he doesn't use boost reference carbs. I get the reasoning for boost reference, it's the better way of doing this, it's been done both ways.
And as earlier reply, if your carb was boost referenced, they would be an external line from the carb to below the blower.
Martin.
Old 06-30-2016, 12:54 PM   #36
Fordors

When I built my blown engine I was lucky enough to locate a NOS Accel vacuum/boost advance canister. Originally intended for Accel's bolt-on turbo kit it works just as well with my blower; boost is boost. I believe, but do not know for sure, that the canister is made different internally compared to a GM unit. It provides advance as a normal one, but it also retards a total of 8° when at boost. The difference is that it will actually retard the timing, not just pull it back to the "no advance" position.

Last edited by Fordors; 06-30-2016 at 07:01 PM. Reason: Amount of timing retard was in error.
Fordors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 01:54 PM   #37
scooder

Did you hear that pin drop from over the ocean? It was pretty loud here I can tell you.
I've been thinking of an engine under cruise (high vacuum) and then under boost (nailing the loud pedal) completely ignored the stuff in between!
Its all about the in between stuff, with that realised, I can see the use of a graduated retard device. I'd really like the idea of the chaps you have, much prefer the "mechanical" stuff over electronic stuff. I believe some of the 70's And 80's turbo stuff used a setup like yours, just can't remember what ones.
In my defense, the cruise or nailing it is how I drive a hot dog, hence me missing the in between stuff.
Thanks for that,
Martin.
Old 07-02-2016, 08:13 AM   #38
solidaxle

What are your plans for pulleys? Serpentine or V-belt? Ether way some or all will need to be fabed. Like Ron said, you need to consider gearing and overdrive the blower to achieve the boost you are looking for.
solidaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 10:49 AM   #39
jrvariel48

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidaxle View Post
What are your plans for pulleys? Serpentine or V-belt? Ether way some or all will need to be fabed. Like Ron said, you need to consider gearing and overdrive the blower to achieve the boost you are looking for.
It came with the blower, crank and idler pulleys. No water pump pulleys.
The belt is a serpentine 7 groove I believe.
Old 07-02-2016, 01:02 PM   #40
jrvariel48

I opened up the carb today to see what jets and power valve were installed.
I found 68 jets and a 4.5 power valve. I will be boost referencing the carb.
http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/eng...tor-for-boost/
Can anyone comment on this jet and pv set up for a starting point?
I know this carb was sold from Camden with the blower and intake as a complete package, but i don't know what jets and pv. At this point I'd be assuming and we all know how that usually turns out!!
Thanks,
Joe