Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-06-2012, 12:04 PM   #1
ivoryjohn

Default Hagerty and towing trailers get a bad rap!

I called brand X, Y, and Z this morning to drop Hagerty Insurance because I have restored a Pop-Up trailer and wanted to tow it with my Model A. Everybody said Hagerty won't insure me if I tow a trailer or even have a tow ball on my car.

Well I never! How dare them propose to tell me what I can and can't.........................

After calling a couple of other insurance companies to get them started on giving me a quote in preparation for dropping Hagerty I called to check with Hagerty why they won't insure trailers.

Well color me purple Hagerty does insure trailers for antique cars and you can tow a trailer with your antique car for the standard car hobby reasons, shows tours and club functions. I explained I wanted to go to a distant show, camp the night before, show the car and return home the following day, making it a three day trip and I also wanted to tour with the car and trailer a couple of times a year for a week or better at a time. No problem!

They recently changed their policy on trailers because they understand that trailers are also part of the antique car hobby. [B]How cool is that they are keeping up with the times.customer desires and changing times! I am a happy camper (I couldn't resist saying that)
ivoryjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:11 PM   #2
ken ct
BANNED

Default Re: Hagerty and towing trailers get a bad rap!

Way to go John,the more restrictions we get rid of the better . ken ct.
ken ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:26 PM   #3
700rpm

That's good to know, because my insurance just came up for renewal and I was thinking about dropping Hagerty.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:13 PM   #4
Skibb

Re: Hagerty Insurance. Any business that is smart enough to base itself in Traverse City, Michigan is way ahead of the power curve with people and ideas.
Skibb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:18 PM   #5
Roadster62

I hope this boosts the value of Vintage trailer plates, real slow movers as of today. Bob
Old 12-06-2012, 11:45 PM   #6
ivoryjohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadster62 View Post
I hope this boosts the value of Vintage trailer plates, real slow movers as of today. Bob
Got a Mississippi '29 trailer tag? Is there such. If you got a tag on the mule why do you need one on the wagon. Don't imagine they had trailer tags.
ivoryjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:30 AM   #7
desotoguy

Just goes to show that sometimes "everybody" doesn't know the facts. Best to check with the authority.
desotoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:39 AM   #8
oliverguy

Insurance companies rank about where banks do in my mind. They give away absolutely nothing, and if they can figure out a way to screw you without you realizing it they will. They wouldn't allow trailer pulling unless it was proved that the risk was next to nothing, and somehow they can profit from it.

Someone should do a side by side comparison of all the antique auto insurance companies to see which is the best deal for what you get. Heck maybe someone like AACA should become self insured, where all members get to insure their cars at cost. That would be a nice membership perk.
oliverguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:45 AM   #9
Tom Cogswell

A good friend of mine who was contacted by Hagerty a couple of years ago while they were doing a customer satisfaction survey. He inquired about hauling a mule in the back of his military truck with a jeep on a trailer in tow while on his way to shows or events. A few days later he was called back and they told him that there was no problem!

Hagerty is doing a fine job in Traverse City and provides support for many community activities. I live about 50 miles due East of Traverse and I have spent over 50 years visiting there. It's a good starting point to see a great area. If you are familar with Power Island in West Bay, it was called Ford Island when it was owned by Henry.

Tom
Tom Cogswell is offline   Reply With Quote