Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-04-2015, 10:57 PM   #1
scar

Question AR vs E28, which is correct??

Ok, I have a Model A whose engine number was stamped in March of 28.
Anytime that I'm talking/posting about it and I call it an AR or if I call it an E28, I get someone telling me that there is no such a thing.

I'm wanting to know which term, if either, is correct. I'm tired of getting corrected every time I talk about the car.
So, which is correct and do you have proof to back your answer?
thanks
scar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 11:33 PM   #2
P.S.

Default Re: AR vs E28, which is correct??

If you pick up a copy of the Model A parts book, you will see the letters "AR" used to describe replaced parts. That is, parts that were replaced by newer parts that were different enough to need a new part number. I think "AR" is used incorrectly all the time.

E28 sounds like a fuel blend.

I believe you are most accurate saying yor car is an early 1928 and call it good.
P.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 11:56 PM   #3
scar

One of the reasons I started using the term E28 was after seeing it used in the description in several parts catalogs like Macs and Snyders.
The other reason is because I used to call it an AR and every time I did, someone would say that, "there is no such thing as an AR. AR came from a worker's notes and was never an official term used by Ford." I'm hoping that someone has some concrete proof as to the correct term.
scar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 01:32 AM   #4
Hoogah

AR actually stood for "Aah, Replaced"?

. . . as in the following conversation, actually recorded at the parts counter of numerous Ford dealerships:

"Hello, I'd like to order a new mushroom shaped gearstick knob, please."
"Sorry, no can do!"
"What? How come?"
"Aah, that was Replaced by this new fangled round one!"

I don't really think it matters what we call it. We all know what we're talking about. Besides, if we all agreed on the one term, there would be 10% fewer threads to read on the Barn!

In Australia, we had a whole 5 years worth of Holden production given a fictitious name - the "FX". As for most things, there is no greater authority on this than Wikipedia ():

The Holden 48-215 is a mid-size, sedan type automobile that was produced by the Australian automaker, General Motors–Holden's Ltd between November 1948 and October 1953. The 48-215 was the first model from General Motors–Holden's to bear the Holden name.[2] In mainstream parlance, the official name of "Holden 48-215" was eschewed in favour of the shortened "Holden" designation. Following the replacement of the first Holden, the 48-215 gained the unofficial nickname of Holden FX. This arose as the replacement models were labeled FJ, FE, FC, et cetera, and it was therefore assumed by the general public that 48-215 must have been F-something as well, so the title FX came into use in used car advertisements, the "X" standing for the unknown.[3]

The design was originally penned in the United States by Chevrolet,[4] but was not used because it was deemed too small for the U.S. market as it developed after the war. Instead the design became the basis of only the 48-215 model. Development of the 48-215 began in 1944.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holden_48-215

Last edited by Hoogah; 03-05-2015 at 04:43 AM.
Hoogah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 08:18 AM   #5
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by scar View Post
One of the reasons I started using the term E28 was after seeing it used in the description in several parts catalogs like Macs and Snyders.
The other reason is because I used to call it an AR and every time I did, someone would say that, "there is no such thing as an AR. AR came from a worker's notes and was never an official term used by Ford." I'm hoping that someone has some concrete proof as to the correct term.
How "concrete' do you need it to be? Paul stated the AR is a term used in the original parts book printed by Ford. That is true. Ford themselves never used the term "AR" to describe their Model-A. They never used the words E28 or Early28 either. Feel free to study Ford booklets and materials to verify this.

The terms to describe dating timelines of the builds was fabricated for the 'Restoration Guidelines & Judging Standards' book. Their nomenclature was 'Early' were the months of Jan. - April, -which the term Early initially included all the 1927 Model-As. (The term 'Mid' covered the May - Aug. vehicles, and the Sept. - Dec. covered the 'Late' build dates). Later the term 'Very Early' was originated by Doc and others who were trying to clarify the 1927 build dates.

While on the subject of nomenclature, there is a thread here about this, ...and old habits are hard to lose sometimes however it is very confusing. I cannot tell you how often someone will contact me asking for tech advice and the term they use describing what they are working on confuses the entire conversation. What is a Motor Mount Housing? What is a Bell Housing? What is the Windshield Awning? I could go on, but at my shop we have started using the correct Ford nomenclature for parts, ...and I wish we would use it more here on Fordbarn for the same exact reasons.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 10:57 AM   #6
FL&WVMIKE

None of the terms are "official".
It's your car. Call it what you want. We will all know what you are talking about.
Jesh ! these cars are for having fun, not for getting anal, about some terminology.
MIKE (mikeburch)
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote