Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-17-2010, 10:18 PM   #1
Timothy Kelly

Default Two Model A's drive off the road today in French Lick to avoid hittings cars in front

Last edited by Timothy Kelly; 01-19-2017 at 11:11 AM.
Timothy Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 05:46 AM   #2
Chris in WNC

Default Re: Two Model A's drive off the road today in French Lick to avoid hittings cars in f

Tim, were you an eyewitness to the wreck? we were about a mile or more back in the stopped cars, past where the chopper & fire truck were parked.
we heard slightly different reports and yours is better in both number & severity of personal injuries and number & extent of cars damaged. our prayers go out for all involved for complete & speedy recovery.
Chris in WNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 07:38 AM   #3
MikeK

Default Re: Two Model A's drive off the road today in French Lick to avoid hittings cars in f

Wow! This is serious. Perhaps a running brake function test should be added to both the fine-point and touring JS, and mandatory for any tour participation. Fortunately both drivers reacted by steering out of the line of traffic. That's not always the case in a panic situation.

Makes me wonder if it was fade from steel drums or just general poor brake condition. Either way, brakes that are OK on flat land without a lot of stops may not be safe in traffic on steep grades, especially if the driver is not experienced in down-shifting for engine braking and does not have hill country driving experience.

MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 08:00 AM   #4
Bruce

We can only speculate, but this situation -- long string of cars in unfamiliar "hill country" -- has caused plenty of accidents over the last 80 years. Add in a postcard-perfect barn surrounded by day lilies in that field off to the right ... or a glimpse of some wildlife, a fawn perhaps ... or just a pothole avoidance maneuver a couple cars ahead ... and the flash of amber brake lights can travel back down the parade at a hundred miles an hour. It is not necessarily the brakes or the tires' contact patch that is the limiting factor. If your car is too close, you gotta do the "avoidance" exercise fast.
Soo, when you are on tour with your old car buddies or in a parade, leave lots of car spaces between you and the guy in front. That will give you a safety margin when you are rubber-necking the scenery or the lead car brakes for a squirrel. AND, you won't find yourself inadvertently testing whether your Model A's front bumper matches up with the Model A in front's back bumper!
End of lecture.
Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 08:23 AM   #5
Mitch

As I remember, there is a god awful hill in town there. Please tell me is wasn't on that one.
Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 08:34 AM   #6
V4F

with only 2 cars involved , maybe it was just lack of a cushion area . i hope all are well ............ steve
Old 06-18-2010, 09:49 AM   #7
MAG

Thanks for posting this Tim. It serves as a reminder to us to make sure our brakes are in top shape and that we pay attention to our driving. Pray that all victims have a speedy recovery and that the Model
A's are repaired and back on the road. What a tragedy.
MAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 09:53 AM   #8
Old182

Just put cast iron drums on my coupe this year, new everything - and they work great! Always followed at a safe distance and especially careful going down hills, but had enough with the emergency brake stopping! Hope all are okay - cars can be fixed.
Old182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 11:17 AM   #9
Great Lakes Greg

I think nearly every Model A owner has had a "high pucker factor" incident at one time or another. I remember my introduction to the limits of drum brakes, and have been a wiser driver since.
Great Lakes Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 11:40 AM   #10
John LaVoy

The victims are in our prayers. I hope everyone comes out of this in good shape.

We have always felt that not enough attention is made on the brakes on the Model A. In the Model A Times we have addressed this important topic several times, but it looks like it should be addressed again.

But in perfect shape the mechanical brakes are not the same as modern brakes on cars today. Perhaps there was some driver error involved in this, perhaps following closer than they should because they were not aware of the greater stopping distance of a Model A as opposed to a modern car. Even if they were use to the brakes on a Model A the added weight of five people in the car would tax the brakes and should be taken into account when leaving distance between the car in front and the driver's vehicle.

Having a brake check at the meets before the tour would be nice, but quite the chore and might make the grand tour less attractive of an event. Perhaps some local "Model A driver" training could be done by the member's local chapter. When I was president of a local chapter I had a driving instructor come to the meeting and speak about defensive driving in regards to the Model A and current traffic. But any one who has done a lot of Model A driving might be able to put together a similar talk.
John LaVoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 01:10 PM   #11
Freddie (Memphis)

This is not just a Model A "caravan" problem...it happens anytime you get a large group of cars together and expect to stay together as you all go down the road. It just doesn't seem to work that way.

I've run several large caravans of Shelby Cobra replicas...cars that not only can accellerate 0-100 fast enough to rearrange your fillings...but most also have massive 4-wheel multi-piston disc brakes and can stop quick enough to cause your teeth to be snatched right out of your head! Drivers in the front of the caravan usually say they're going to "keep it sane"...and try to stay at 45-50 MPH...and they normally do. But, then the "ping-ponging" starts...spaces start to appear between cars in the middle of the pack...and everyone in the rear starts to speed up in an attempt to keep up with those in front. First thing you know, guys in the back of the pack at doing 100+ MPH just to keep up with those in front...who are still only going 45-50.

At those speeds...all someone has to do is become slightly inattentive...something along the side of the roadway catches their eye...something in the cockpit distracts them for a moment...and then all you hear is a simultaneous screech of tires as everyone tries to haul it back down. It's just the nature of a long colums of cars to behave like this. I've seen some nasty rear-enders in lines like this...usually resulting in more than bent and broken cars...but lifelong friendships shot-to-hell in less than a heartbeat. I've almost been run into several times...and almost run into others several more.

I certainly hope everyone's okay in this little melee... Cars can be fixed...and dogs can be fixed....people, not so much.

Take it light...

I'm still doin' the rhumba, Baby...I just can't seem to quit. If momma catches us doin' the rhumba....momma would just pitch a fit. I can't help myself....it's much bigger than me. If I were you I'd hang on to a rhumba man like me...!
Freddie (Memphis) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 04:25 PM   #12
Bruce in southern OH

Take a look at the recovery, Bruce

http://s235.photobucket.com/albums/e...t=HPIM1162.mp4

http://s235.photobucket.com/albums/e...t=HPIM1163.mp4

http://s235.photobucket.com/albums/e...t=HPIM1164.mp4
Bruce in southern OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 04:33 PM   #13
msmaron

Send a message via AIM to msmaron

EVERYONE is in fine shape, the slant was flat bed-ed home and the cab was DRIVEN home. Minor damage that can ALL be fixed and had NOTHING to do with drums, or brakes, Also i might note. Neither car had any SEAT BELTS!!!!! Just another reason for safety always!!
National Facebook Admin.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MARC.group/

A7191-Sport Coupe
29 Roadster
29-Town Sedan
29-Original Special Coupe
msmaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 04:35 PM   #14
Clem Clement

our prayers that the folks recover ok. Clem
Clem Clement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 08:13 AM   #15
Chris in WNC

Default medical update:

yesterday AM we spoke with the man who had the suspected broken neck. his neck was fine, but he had a beautiful shiner, many scratches and scrapes and his vision in the black eye was still fuzzy.
Chris in WNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 10:29 AM   #16
Blessyouboys

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmaron View Post
Minor damage that can ALL be fixed and had NOTHING to do with drums, or brakes...
What was the cause of the crashes?
Blessyouboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 09:18 PM   #17
WTSHNN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blessyouboys View Post
What was the cause of the crashes?
The same thing that happens thousands of times a day in the world, driver error.
WTSHNN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 12:03 PM   #18
Carl R

Original brakes aren't suitable for occassions like that. Hydraulic brakes should be mandatory for cars that are driven,times have changed,driving habits have and need to show the car and trailer it or quit being a safety hazard. I practice what I preach.
Carl R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 12:28 PM   #19
Gary/IA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl R View Post
Original brakes aren't suitable for occassions like that. Hydraulic brakes should be mandatory for cars that are driven,times have changed,driving habits have and need to show the car and trailer it or quit being a safety hazard. I practice what I preach.
I have to respectively disagree. My rebuilt brakes with new cast iron drums will lock up the wheels if I desire to do so.

Perhaps Hydraulic brakes do something after lockup that I am not aware of. Please inform me of their increased braking features and capabilities after reaching lockup.
Gary/IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 01:51 PM   #20
Bubby Sharp in KY

Carl, Hydraulics may not be the answer , because if you lose one line the whole system fails! You can remove one rod and the mechanical will still work. Limiting factor is tire size if you have cast drums properly installed and the systems is up to par. Bubby Sharp in KY
Bubby Sharp in KY is offline   Reply With Quote