Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-05-2012, 11:39 PM   #1
fred93

Default Masking for second color on body and doors

Any tips for the type and size of masking tape that I should use for the second color on the doors and body on the 29 Tudor that I am getting ready to start painting (when the weather warms up--Ha)??? I'm thinking a narrow tape for those tight bents around the windows and doors. Eastwood has some high temp tape for powder coating that they say is good for sharp edge masking http://www.eastwood.com/high-temp-bl...king-tape.html and then there is this tape--1/16" for tight curves--- http://www.eastwood.com/crepe-tape-1...x-55yards.html It has been a long time since I did any paint work like this and I know there are a lot of new products out there but I am not familiar with them.
fred93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 11:54 PM   #2
barn burnner

Default Re: Masking for second color on body and doors

Go with you used to use!! You will be much more comfortable!! Post a picture and explain how you want the colors and I'll explain how to mask it up!! Or pm me you email and we can correspond directly.
barn burnner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 10:03 AM   #3
silvertop

The blue plastic tape works very well for two tone painting. I use 3M tape, but this looks to be similar. I use 1/8",1/4",& 1/2" when two toning, on long runs the 1/2" works very well in getting a very straight line and the other sizes on the curves and corners.
It does leave a very crisp line without any bleed back. It is the best you will do for this purpose.
Old 02-06-2012, 11:28 AM   #4
BRENT in 10-uh-C

I personally prefer a 3M 1/8th paper Fine-line tape rather than the plastic as it does not stretch like the plastic tape does. The Eastwood tape is likely fiberglass tape which if it is like our powdercoating tape, it is a thicker Mil which would make corners more difficult.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 08:47 PM   #5
MikeK

I've used Scotch® Tape 4737T with Dupont Imron® on two tone fiberglass truck clips. It is just a tiny bit stretchy so it follows fairly tight contours and turns without too much trouble. The "T" at the end of the number is the translucent version. I like the "T" because you can see any bubbles, hairs, dust specks or other lack of adhesion at the edge which would cause annoying bleed. You can visually confirm the edge will be clean.
Here's a link to the 3M product sheet for 4737S & T
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 10:17 PM   #6
Roadster62

Brent, Within the last few months you posted a photo of a closed car body that you were painting. The upper area or windows were painted first. Is that how Ford did it, or a way you have found to work best? I've never studied an original paint job, how was the two tone parting line? Bob
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
I personally prefer a 3M 1/8th paper Fine-line tape rather than the plastic as it does not stretch like the plastic tape does. The Eastwood tape is likely fiberglass tape which if it is like our powdercoating tape, it is a thicker Mil which would make corners more difficult.
Old 02-08-2012, 11:36 AM   #7
fred93

Quote:
Originally Posted by barn burnner View Post
Go with you used to use!! You will be much more comfortable!! Post a picture and explain how you want the colors and I'll explain how to mask it up!! Or pm me you email and we can correspond directly.

Here is a "before" picture of the Tudor --the new paint colors will be Bonnie Gray and Chelsea Blue (I have no idea what the "before" colors were!!!) I am assuming that the paint scheme is correct even though the colors are not!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Paint Labeled.jpg (61.4 KB, 56 views)
Old 02-08-2012, 08:59 PM   #8
fred93

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post

Brent--You wouldn't happened to have a part number for that tape?
Old 02-08-2012, 09:33 PM   #9
cas3

any real parts store sells real 3m pin stripe tape .any size from about 1/6 up to 1/4 will not only go around corners but it also seals better than any other tape to prevent paint bleeding under the tape. do the edge with this, then tape up to that with regular masking tape. if using news paper for cover, remember to tape the seams shut between the sheets and look for small perforated holes in the paper that i usually only find after paint is sprayed thru! also, if you pull the pin stripe tape while its still wet it will "flow" out a little and not leave such a sharp edge
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 09:48 PM   #10
Greg Jones

Fred93, that is a pretty combination of colors on that Tudor!!
Greg Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 09:58 PM   #11
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Jones View Post
Fred93, that is a pretty combination of colors on that Tudor!!
I thought so too. If my car looked that good I wouldn't be repainting it until the paint was shot.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote