Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-04-2012, 12:21 PM   #21
KULTULZ

Exclamation Re: Fordomatic transmission fluid type A or F?

Let me go further as there is a lot of confusion as to fluid type usage-

FOMOCO came out with TYPE F in the 1968 model run as they changed friction material used in clutches and bands to asbestos based. In the late seventies, there was a big push for the industry to get away from asbestos (brake lining materials mainly). FORD complied and went to using organic materials in their trans clutches/bands which was not compatible with TYPE F fluid. They went with their version of DEXRON (MERCON).

As the TYPE F call-out trans were overhauled, it was usually with organic materials which called for DEXRON/MERCON (DEXRON being GM licensed, MERCON being FORD licensed).

In short, one has to know if the trans has been rebuilt during it's service life and what type of friction materials were used. Rule of thumb again, TYPE F can be used in a pre-TYPE F trans with no damage but if you introduce DEXRON into a TYPE F trans, you are going to have trouble.

B & M Trick-Shift is a TYPE F product. TYPE F (to the best of my knowledge- and it is limited) will not damage a TYPE A to D transmission (trans fluid progression before F).

I believe also that GM's propitiatory rights to DEXRON III has expired and they went to DEXRON VI which is a full synthetic. The same story with FORD as MERCON V is a full synthetic and is backwards compatible (EXCEPT TYPE F trans). When you buy a bottle of DEXRON III, the refiner is not held to the original formula now so you have to be careful.

I hope I explained this clearly but ask if any question or you have another theory. This is what I have found over the years.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg M2C33.jpg (38.2 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg TYPE F ATF TSB No.2 9-12-67 .jpg (83.1 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg FORD Trans Fluid.jpg (112.7 KB, 24 views)

- DISCLAIMER -

The above posted information is in my opinion only (IMO) and may contain copy and paste material(s).

In addition, any above tech information is supplied in good faith. No responsibility implied or otherwise can be accepted for the way others use or interpret provided data.

Your experience(s), opinion(s) and mileage may vary.

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote