Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-11-2015, 01:13 AM   #21
truckdog62563

Default Re: 16" Wheel-Markings Info Wanted

I've gone back through the few copies I have of the Tire and Rim Association Year Book looking for a legend or citation explaining their usage of the rim letter codes. Nothing found. The system was in place, however, back to my earliest 1935 issuance. That year the passenger car codes were letters B through F. My next oldest issuance is for 1958 where the codes are J through L. There are also variances within these designs showing the addition of various "safety hump" features (SL or H) to aid in flat tire safety.

The passenger car section of each book also contains a listing of rim and tire sizes for each manufacturer and car model. Below are the 1958 pages to perhaps assist the gentleman in his Thunderbird research. I must admit that my use of these references has been primarily focused on truck 5° multi-part tube type and tubeless 15° rims which are my main interests. I've learned some things too going through the car sections of the books. Stu

Old 01-11-2015, 02:04 AM   #22
truckdog62563

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post
WOW.......There's the answer to the earlier-referenced "woman-like" trademark. It's an industry-type mark referencing a TYPE of wheel construction, and could naturally be seen stamped on DIFFERENT manufacturers' wheels. Thanks a lot for that.....GOOD info! DD
Another point I'll make related to the industry wide use of these standards is that automotive and truck wheels alike are obviously combinations of center discs and outer rims. In the case of truck wheels for sure, and perhaps car as well, the outer rims were produced (or at minimum licensed to be produced by others under patents owned) by either Goodyear or by the Firestone Steel Products Company. These rims were then assembled with center discs of either Budd's, K-H's, or Motor Wheel's own design. The first reference I have where Firestone Accu-ride produced their own complete wheels was 1960.

Early wheels were riveted and later, beginning in the 1960s, welded due to either, or both, government mandate and industry failure rates related to the introduction of radial tires. I know for certain that radial tire failure rates changed truck wheel designs, but can't say for certain that this led to the welding, versus riveting, of car and light truck center discs. Logic, however, leads me to that viewpoint. Stu

Edit - searching for a reference today for the FTE forum I found that I have an SAE paper from 1980 that states the wheel industry adopted fully welded center discs over past practice of riveting to facilitate the move to tubeless tires. No apparent connection to radial tires. Stu

Last edited by truckdog62563; 01-13-2015 at 11:40 PM. Reason: Update posting
truckdog62563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 01-11-2015, 11:24 AM   #23
V8COOPMAN

Stu........I can only thank you again for sharing your printed information and some of your thoughts on all of this. It surely has opened my eyes to the "possibilities" of how some of these old wheels actually came about. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 11:25 PM   #24
alt63bird

Stu - you da man! This is exactly what I was hoping someone had for reference material, and I never dreamed I'd have to go through the Ford Barn's Early V8 forum to get it - I can't thank you enough. I'd like to bother you if I may to get more info for some other '50s-'70s wheels used on T-birds, especially '55-'79. Feel free to PM me to exchange email addresses, etc.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
35+ year member, Crown Victoria Ass'n.
alt63bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 11:31 PM   #25
truckdog62563

Shall do. Glad to help. Stu