Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-09-2011, 07:12 AM   #1
31chevy

Default phenolic carb spacer

Are any of you using the phenolic carb spacer & what are your thoughts on this? I have a 34 intake & a Stromberg 48 carb on my 34 pickup. It seems to get flooded when it is hot & sets for just a few minutes. P .S . I have Skip,s coil & distributor.
Thank you in advance. Gary.
31chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 07:22 AM   #2
Old Redneck

Send a message via AIM to Old Redneck Send a message via Yahoo to Old Redneck
Default Re: phenolic carb spacer

Check the fuel pressure of the fuel pump. It may be too high. I have a electric fuel pump for a backup when needed.
Old Redneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 07:59 AM   #3
flathead4rd

I use them on my trip 97's and so far, it seems to be keeping the fuel from boiling in the carb bowl after shutdown. Todays gas seems to have a lower boiling point with all the additives and ethanol etc.
flathead4rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 05:00 AM   #4
flatmotor40

I use them on my 2 9super 7 and they worked to keep the carbs from boiling made my by using a 1" thick pieces I had from old work after retired
flatmotor40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 05:56 AM   #5
31chevy

Hi Flatmotor, what did you make them out of ? Where did you buy the material? I"m retired also & have the time to fabricate one.
31chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 06:20 AM   #6
Vic Piano

There was a phenolic spacer between the carb and intake on our ’39 Zephyr, I’d never seen one on any other Flathead I’ve had. The one on the Zephyr almost looked like it was made from compressed paper, it leaked fuel and sucked air so I coated it with Indian Head shellac and that solved the problem. Subsequently, I replaced it with a machined aluminum spacer that came with the Ampo Top Oiler I installed.
Old 08-10-2011, 08:08 AM   #7
jdl

Send a message via ICQ to jdl

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31chevy View Post
Are any of you using the phenolic carb spacer & what are your thoughts on this? I have a 34 intake & a Stromberg 48 carb on my 34 pickup. It seems to get flooded when it is hot & sets for just a few minutes. P .S . I have Skip,s coil & distributor.
Thank you in advance. Gary.
I Think Ford Barner Dick Spadaro has them 1-800-222-3248 give um a call
jdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 08:54 AM   #8
rotorwrench

You can purchase Micarta type laminated phenolic sheet from Aircraft Spruce & Specialty. Theirs is a Linen cloth based laminate and can be purchased in various thicknesses from 1/16 inch to 1 inch. It's sold by the square foot and it ain't cheep. I've worked with the stuff a time or two in the aviation industry and it has to be milled and shaped like metal. In some cases it's harder to work than metal because is gets a little gummy when it gets hot from machining processes.

Kerby
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 07:00 PM   #9
Rich Overton

As JDL mentions Dick Spadaro has them. I purchased the longer one that extends over the intake manifold. I did have to modify it by "trimming a little notch at the front to clear the generator end plate. It helped a great deal. However, most carb. rebuilders think I am picky or just nuts but my '48 had the wrong 94 carb on it. There is a diffrence from 1939-1953. I replaced my original 94 with a later model "49-'53 with the vent tube in the throat. So far so good. no more percolating.

Rich
Rich Overton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 08:25 PM   #10
DONUT

I run one on my stock 34 flathead and when the engine is hot and running...........the intake manifold just below the carb is 135 degrees. Above the spacer the carb base is 95 degrees .............when you turn the engine off the differential becomes much greater.............tp
DONUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 05:39 AM   #11
flatmotor40

It was a micarta material we used it in the a/c industry had a piece left over from machining the stuff.Don't breath the dust
flatmotor40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 07:19 AM   #12
G.M.

The material is called linen filled phenolic. Contact Bob Shewman the guy that makes the fuel hoses that work with the new fuels. Bob work for years at Synthene the company that made this materia machineing parts made of phenolics. He bought lots of small peices of scrap of various thickness and can make them. I would think 3/4" would be about the right thickness.You are also going to need longer studs which he can also provide. His email is [email protected] G.M.
Old 08-11-2011, 07:30 AM   #13
JM 35 Sedan

There was another recent post on this same subject where I gave all the contact info for the guy who makes the spacer that Dick Spadaro is selling plus he makes them in many other configurations for many applications. They are not that expensive. You can easily find that post using the search function.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 08:29 AM   #14
jdl

Send a message via ICQ to jdl

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM 35 Sedan View Post
There was another recent post on this same subject where I gave all the contact info for the guy who makes the spacer that Dick Spadaro is selling plus he makes them in many other configurations for many applications. They are not that expensive. You can easily find that post using the search function.
John.. this was the info posted in a earlier thread by you, hope it helps someone. Thanks

CoolCarb Technologies
Dennis (Denny) Waltimyer
www.CoolCarb.com
[email protected]
717-244-0719
1157 Delta Rd
Red Lion, PA 17356

He makes carburetor spacers for almost anything and everything. They are a sandwiched/composite construction of 0.032" aluminum/0.256" poly-core/0.032" aluminum or ~ 0.320" total thickness. I bought one to try on my '35 fordor with a Stromberg 48 on a close to stock 221 ci engine. I plan to check carb temps before and after spacer installation and report findings back to Denny. A few pictures attached......

ps....check the youTube videos on the coolcarb website.
Attached Thumbnails

Old 08-14-2011, 12:46 PM   #15
Wltr_Mitty

$20 at Speedway Motors. Basically cured my supermarket-stop boil over problem. Boil-over is even worse for those of us at altitude.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Stromb...acer,5638.html
Wltr_Mitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 02:46 PM   #16
Jack E/NJ

Shop the pre-cut hard & softwood bins at your local Home-Depot or Lowes. Choose your thickness. Make your own heat spacers or carb adaptors. And don't forget the threaded rod for making your longer studs. 8^)

Jack E/NJ
Jack E/NJ is online now   Reply With Quote