Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-18-2016, 07:36 AM   #21
mshmodela

Default Re: Getting Pure Gas

As other post has:

http://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=OH

It's well worth the effort and price (I pay $3.30/gal) for 100% pure gasoline at the single station in Cleveland/Cuyahoga County...

You can search out what ethanol along does with atmospheric moisture does to metal. I think of it like car cholesterol --avoid it has much as you can.

Late 31' Ford Model A Tudor, Miss Daisy

I don't work on cars --I'm learning about my Model A.

Cleveland, Ohio

Last edited by mshmodela; 08-18-2016 at 07:42 AM.
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 11:55 PM   #22
ian Simpson

Quote:
Originally Posted by 700rpm View Post
Mitch, aren't you concerned about a spark with your electrical pump? Or is it isolated or grounded in some way for safety?
We fuel tractors, combines, etc. in the field with electric pumps for both gas and diesel.

Make sure to connect a ground between tank and tractor, especially for diesel, and keep the on/off switch away from the fuel.
ian Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 08:29 PM   #23
Quigley1930

I use a battery (2-D batts) transfer pump that cost less than 20 bucks. You see them in a lot of the catalogs that your wives get They aren't the fastest but I just can't lift a 5 gal. can anymore and pour it. Google battery transfer pumps and the should pop up.

Sewall
Quigley1930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 01:10 PM   #24
denis4x4

Just learned that starting next month I'll be able to get ethanol free fuel delivered to the house from the Co-Op.
Old 08-22-2016, 01:28 PM   #25
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by denis4x4 View Post
Just learned that starting next month I'll be able to get ethanol free fuel delivered to the house from the Co-Op.
Now, that's what surprised me. I always thought the Co-Op was farmer owned and wouldn't want to sell the good gas without corn crap in it, but a year and a half ago I filled up at a Co-Op in northern MN and they were selling the good gas for the same price as crap gas. Here in the cities I have to pay 60 cents to a buck a gallon extra for the good gas.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 09:40 PM   #26
Drive Shaft Dave

Thumbs down Re: Getting Pure Gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
Now, that's what surprised me. I always thought the Co-Op was farmer owned and wouldn't want to sell the good gas without corn crap in it, but a year and a half ago I filled up at a Co-Op in northern MN and they were selling the good gas for the same price as crap gas. Here in the cities I have to pay 60 cents to a buck a gallon extra for the good gas.
Yes we can all thank Hennepin county for that.
Drive Shaft Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 09:42 PM   #27
Drive Shaft Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drive Shaft Dave View Post
Yes we can all thank Hennepin county for that.
Drive Shaft Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 10:46 PM   #28
Dutie

Here in New York state I use the real gas from a stewarts store. The premium 91 octane is ethanol free and just 50 cents more than the regular. Happy Motoring, Dutie.
Dutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 09:15 PM   #29
ian Simpson

I fuelled all three collector vehicles at Costco today. Ethanol free premium was CDN10 cents per litre (CDN40 cents per US gallon) over the price of ethanol laced regular.
ian Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 09:42 PM   #30
Fred S

Out of luck in my area, except for bring your own container, for Sunoco racing fuel at $8 a gallon.

Last edited by Fred S; 10-02-2016 at 10:49 PM. Reason: Screwd up
Fred S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 05:29 PM   #31
Robert/Texas

I stopped at the huge Buccee's station in Waller, Texas yesterday. They have recently installed a new long row of pumps and all have etheno1 free gas, $1.809 for regular, $2.809 for ethanol free. I think that I'll continue using the bad stuff though but might get a few gallons for my chain saw and weed eater. For comparison, regular was $1.759 at Costco today.
Robert/Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 05:39 PM   #32
denis4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by denis4x4 View Post
Received my second load of ethanol free gas. Went from $2.45 a gallon to $2.39 a gallon on the second load. Figure one more delivery and I'll have pure gas in my 300 gallon above ground tank. It's 88 octane and I can really notice an improvement regarding MPG.
Old 11-15-2016, 09:56 PM   #33
eagle

Pour your ethanol gas into a glass carboy, add 10% or a bit more clean water to it and shake it up. Then let it sit for a couple days. Drain off the top and you'll have ethanol free gas for less than 20 cents per gallon more than ethanol gas.
Old 11-15-2016, 10:55 PM   #34
Synchro909

There are times when I'm touring that fuel supplies are further apart than one tank will take me. To refill on the roadside, I lift a 20 litre jerrycan onto the scuttle and siphon it in with one of these:
http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/Pro...-5m-3-LPM/2017
As for availability of pure petrol, it is the main fuel sold at EVERY service station. Ethanol fuel is available but I don't know anybody who bothers with it.
Old 11-15-2016, 11:59 PM   #35
TerryH

Well, since all the thousands of Model A's in California have absolutely no option to use anything but ethanol laden fuel, it appears that all of us will soon lose our cars due to the extreme effect it is having on all those metal parts. But I have only been using the "crap" gas for 10 years now, so maybe in another 10 years it will catch up to us. It's amusing to me how few problems we have with it when we have no choice. My honest take? Slightly worse gas mileage.....that's it.....starts up instantly, runs great, no vapor lock, clean fuel tank.
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 12:03 AM   #36
updraught

It's coming. The state of New South Wales has just introduced legislation with half a million in fines for service stations not stocking it because sales are so small.
updraught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 12:45 AM   #37
Dick Steinkamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryH View Post
Well, since all the thousands of Model A's in California have absolutely no option to use anything but ethanol laden fuel, it appears that all of us will soon lose our cars due to the extreme effect it is having on all those metal parts. But I have only been using the "crap" gas for 10 years now, so maybe in another 10 years it will catch up to us. It's amusing to me how few problems we have with it when we have no choice. My honest take? Slightly worse gas mileage.....that's it.....starts up instantly, runs great, no vapor lock, clean fuel tank.

x2 with me...and the higher price per gallon of non ethanol fuel doesn't come close to offsetting the 3% drop in mileage. If you get 17 MPG with pure gas, you'll get 16.5 under exactly the same conditions with E10. I doubt if that can even be measured in the real world.

"In general, vehicle fuel economy may decrease by about 3% when using E10 relative to gasoline that does not contain fuel ethanol."

http://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.cfm?id=27&t=4

Old 11-16-2016, 04:32 PM   #38
wmws
BANNED

I must say I have used 10% corn gas here in Pa. for years and have never had a problem in any car tractor motorcycle or lawn mower. I'm sure a little less mileage but so far so good.
wmws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 04:51 PM   #39
Bruce Adams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch//pa View Post
Ray
It's the same as the pump being installed on the car except it's on the ground. I have a fuel hose going into the can and a fuel hose going into the gas tank.. The pump is powered by an external 12v source
I feel the electric transfer pump should be grounded to the vehicle.
Bruce Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 05:17 PM   #40
DJ S

I can get it in my town if I wanted to. I usually just buy the cheapest gas there is, my grandpa and i have been doing this for years. We've never had an issue.
DJ S is offline   Reply With Quote