Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-01-2014, 12:30 AM   #1
DougVieyra

Default Ford Service Bulletins vs. Mechanics Handbook Vol.2

Lots of threads on this forum illustrate the pluses and minuses of many subjects: Electronic Ignition vs. Stock Ford Distributor; Alternator vs. Stock Generator; Stromberg/Weber Carb. vs. Stock Zenith Carburetor; Hydraulic (and ‘Flat Head Ted”) vs. Stock Mechanical Breaks; 12 Volt vs. Stock 6 Volt electrical system; 16” wheels/tires (from 1935) vs. Stock 19”/21” Wheels; Six-blade plastic Fan vs. Stock Ford Fan; etc. , etc.

Basically, it looks like we all have the same religion (FORD), but read from two different ‘Bibles’. Some prefer to focus on the OLD TESTAMENT (Ford Service Bulletins), while others prefer to focus on the NEW TESTAMENT (Les Andrew’s “Mechanics Handbook Vol. 2”). Ofcourse many of us read both the Old AND the New Testament, but have a strong and heavy leaning towards one over the other, while still maintaining respect and understanding for the other.

And then too, there is yet a THIRD group of us that gives little credence to either the Old or the New Testament, and chooses to (like Frank Sinatra) ‘Do it my way’ – thus the ‘Hot Rod’. Although better fitted to ‘The Jalopy Journal’, many ‘Hot Rod’ fans find their way to the more traditional site of our FORD BARN Forum.

If there is a concern about the future of the Ford Model A as a hobby, it will take the first two groups to appreciate each other as allies and work together to find a ‘common ground’ that will ‘bring in new converts’ to the Model A “religion”. Fortunately, that seems to be the case, and I think it will continue to do so in the future. The ‘Hot Rod-ers’ should have no trouble keeping their turf healthy, as they offer a bit of ‘James Dean’ that will always attract the younger generation.

- Doug Vieyra
DougVieyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 08:09 AM   #2
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Ford Service Bulletins vs. Mechanics Handbook Vol.2

Doug, the fallacy in all of this is, ....by their own admission, the 'newbies' do not want to buy any books ( Old or New Testement) to learn and prefer to only search out fractions of info through the Internet. Therefore IMHO they only receive a fraction of the info, and as such only get a fraction of the task done correctly!!

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 08:28 AM   #3
31 Model A

Location: Here I am in front of Todd's Grocery in 1931 selling Grit newspapers

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
Doug, the fallacy in all of this is, ....by their own admission, the 'newbies' do not want to buy any books ( Old or New Testement) to learn and prefer to only search out fractions of info through the Internet. Therefore IMHO they only receive a fraction of the info, and as such only get a fraction of the task done correctly!!

Not entirely......I've bought three books already, I have used them and I do plan to buy one more. Since I'm not nor ever have been mechanically inclined or "ejamakated", I like the ones that have photos to help explain what I'm reading. I have searched the net for answers to some questions that have arisen from answers from books that created another question and, as you know, I come here. I don't like 'jerry rigging', I prefer to have things as they were meant to be with exceptions for safety, in regards to owning and driving an "A".

I will agree with you in regards to 'newbies' and the written reference but I, IMO, associate the newbies in this case as 'young' newbies where they have grown up with all the info they want at their fingertips......the keyboard.

Footnote:

As long as I have a sweet young thing reading these books to me (I'm blind), I'll keep buying them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Hey Lady, ya wanna buy a Grit?"

"If you don't learn to laugh at trouble, you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old" Will Rogers
31 Model A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 09:02 AM   #4
Kevin in NJ

We have facts and opinions.

The problem is when people confuse opinions for facts.

As for the books...

It is always best to follow the money. Many of the new testament ideas are just really better ways to make money from the masses. They also are full of errors and contradictions.

Just think of how much money people will spend changing over to the 'new' and 'better' stuff.

Remember there is not much profit in stuff that keeps on running. Henry Ford believed in building a car that would last a life time. His son knew you had to have cars be "old" to sell more if you want to keep profits up.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 09:21 AM   #5
Rex_A_Lott

I think you have to look at the intended reader also. The Service Bulletins were written for mechanics, servicing Fords for daily use, and just needed a little guidance.
Les Andrews tried to write a book for a guy who bought a car and could barely tell the back from the front.
I love to read books, always have, but the wonderful thing about the internet is you can search, you can see pictures, and you can ask questions.
Sadly, there is no such thing as walking up to the local garage and asking the mechanic a question about your Model A car...that's the way I learned a lot as a teenage kid. Most grown men I knew fooled with cars in one way or another, racing dirt, dragging, restoring old Fords and even dune buggies. Society as a whole has changed, people just are not fascinated by cars any more.
I can also remember when a color TV was the latest and greatest thing.
Rex_A_Lott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 10:17 AM   #6
fins2nv

I have a couple manuals for my '30 coupe and they are very helpful. I like to know as much as I can about the process I need to follow to make correct repairs before I take a wrench out of the tool chest. I study the manuals and look over the car so I have a good idea of what I am doing before I start. But, even with the manuals, it is always helpful for me to find out what other people have encountered when they have attempted the same repair. Did they run into problems? Did they find solutions? Did they see a better way to make a certain repair? That's where the knowledge of the Ford Barners comes in. There's nothing like hearing it from "the horse's mouth."
fins2nv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 12:41 PM   #7
Mark W.

Quote:

I disagree too - the first thing I did was buy the books mentioned plus the judging guidelines in case I have the choice between one water pump to rebuild verses another which is JG correct. I think you see a very diverse group of talents when it comes to mechanical ability - self perceived or otherwise...
Mark W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 01:28 PM   #8
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark W. View Post
I disagree too - the first thing I did was buy the books mentioned plus the judging guidelines in case I have the choice between one water pump to rebuild verses another which is JG correct. I think you see a very diverse group of talents when it comes to mechanical ability - self perceived or otherwise...
Feel free to disagree with me. It matters not to me however I am stating what I have observed both here on this Forum, and from fielding mega-amounts of e-mails & telephone calls seeking assistance over the years.

I might also add, most folks cannot fathom the amount of "lurkers" who come here to search out information yet never post anything. Again, it is easier to take a few moments to search on the 'net rather than read chapters and take the time to understand how something works. I do think, -as you state, that comes from the diversified group of talent. Speaking from my personal experiences, and those of employees, when we take the time to sit down to research, completely read, and comprehend an entire section on how something works (as opposed to skimming the article for a how-to fix one specific item) then the entire project goes faster and the quality is better. Again, just my 2 cents...

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 12-01-2014, 01:38 PM   #9
Y-Blockhead

I too bought every recommended book plus some when I bought my A in June. I also ordered catalogs from all the main vendors because I feel I learn a lot from looking at the pictures and descriptions. I refer to Tom Endy's Tech Articles often. I also like to read the installation instructions provided on Snyder's and MAC's online catalogs whether I'm interested in that particular part or not. I print out and save these installation instructions to refer to at a later date, if needed. All good info I try to ingest before I ask a Stupid question on The Barn.

But without asking questions even with all the reading I doubt I would have learned some of the items from the likes of Tom W or Purdy. One that comes to mind is being cautious of the center bolt on the rear spring.

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 12-01-2014 at 02:08 PM. Reason: Add text
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 01:43 PM   #10
mshmodela

Quote:

A few of my Newbie books.

Late 31' Ford Model A Tudor, Miss Daisy

I don't work on cars --I'm learning about my Model A.

Cleveland, Ohio
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 03:44 PM   #11
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshmodela View Post
Looks good!! HERE is just one post of several here that made me say what I did...

(Again, if y'all feel different or have an opinion different than mine, that is cool!!)

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 12-01-2014, 04:06 PM   #12
Rowdy
BANNED

I agree in most respects. I have a good library of books that seems to grow every year. I also have several binders worth of copies of downladed info from the old Fordbarn and Ahooga that I needed or wanted as the info was more clear than in most books. To this point I have not done the ame with worthwhile posts on the new Fordbarn as the info is more easily searched. With the cell phone and WI-FI, I can now search it from the shop if needed. But still often find myself with a book or two open vs the cell phone screen. Rod
Old 12-01-2014, 04:19 PM   #13
newshirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshmodela View Post
I'm a newbie too, and my collection is growing too.

But I agree with Brent.

The culture is definitely click-and-consume. Spend no more than 30 seconds on any snippet of info. Consume and move on.
Old 12-01-2014, 04:32 PM   #14
CarlG

My stash of books and catalogs is so large that I resorted to one of the catalog racks like you see behind the counter at NAPA.

The guy that Brent refers to is just in a fog!

This past weekend I assembled a quilting frame for my wife. It came with no instructions. So, although I had another one I could look at for reference, first stop was to obtain a printed copy of the manual/instruction book.

Did the same thing when I obtained an engine hoist that was completely disassembled.

In these cases, sure, I used the internet. But my use was to obtain written printed instructions that I should have received with the stuff.

My Model A didn't come with an instruction book. Therefore I have obtained whatever I could from wherever it was available.

Tom Endy's dissertations have an honored spot in my "catalog rack" along with all the other instruction books!
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 04:48 PM   #15
heneste

I think as others have mentioned, that the newer the generation, the less tendency to refer to hardcopy materials. Sometimes it's quicker to do a search via the Internet to find the details right away. The Internet can also provide more visual help through videos where some books can be harder to follow for people who learn easier through visual aids.

Personally, I like to see as many sources as possible for information.

Maybe its the cost of books that is leading people towards the Internet as the primary source of information?
heneste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 05:11 PM   #16
mshmodela

Quote:
Looks good!! HERE is just one post of several here that made me say what I did...

(Again, if y'all feel different or have an opinion different than mine, that is cool!!)
Actually trying to order the 2nd volume --looking at Les' write up on seat belts..

Late 31' Ford Model A Tudor, Miss Daisy

I don't work on cars --I'm learning about my Model A.

Cleveland, Ohio
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 07:49 PM   #17
bambooboy

looks like I was called out twice in this thread.HERE---I stick by my statement,books are a thing of the past for me.do all my pleasure reading on a kindle,you can get magazines on your devices as well.have worked on cars for 55 years,dad taught me early on, intake,compression, power,exhaust.all cars have been the same since.are model A's different,yes.the info is on the web,bing a problem&you will find some answers,many from ford barn members.les Andrews,tom endy&many others are on the web.some would have newbees like me to buy $200.00 worth of books&join 2 or 3 clubs(none near me).I'm also a long time gardener&plenty of gardening books up in garage collecting dust.been on web about 15 years&have found everything is there for all to use.you want to buy books,go right ahead,i'm fixed income like many of you&many young ones to the hobby will not have the money to purchase books,clubs etc.p.s. last paper books I've read are the past 6 issues of medicare &you.just my 2 cents. tom
bambooboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 08:05 PM   #18
Gunmetal blue2

In 1970 all I had was a Service bulletin book. My problem was that I was 15 had no friends to help me put my 1929 town sedan back together. I got it all in pieces. That car made me learn a great deal about model A's and how they were made, and was thankful that I could learn how it went togeghter. I have had 5 Model A's and now have a AA truck. I can never get to much good information, by books or hands on learning.
Gunmetal blue2 is offline   Reply With Quote