Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-04-2013, 02:42 PM   #1
Joe/Ct

Unhappy Water Pump Problems (?)

I am trying to grease the water pump on our '28 roadster. The front fitting accepts grease, but the back one does not. I have removed and cleaned the fitting and checked the passage way; they were both OK. What's going on? I am concerned that the grease hole on the rear bushing may not be aligned with the housing grease hole. I have checked the depth (seems short) and tried to feel rotation with my probe while rotating the shaft...nothing. Any ideas? Is it possible to rotate the bushing without removing the pump?

"The older I get, the better I was"
Joe/Ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 03:23 PM   #2
Kurt in NJ

Default Re: Water Pump Problems (?)

Perhaps it has been modified from stock ---the original bushing had a groove all the way around so it didn't matter how it was orientated.

You could also have a "leakless" pump that doesn't take grease there
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 04:03 PM   #3
Brentwood Bob

do you have the packing nut backed off before you try the grease gun?
bob
Brentwood Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 07:19 PM   #4
Joe/Ct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt in NJ View Post
Perhaps it has been modified from stock ---the original bushing had a groove all the way around so it didn't matter how it was orientated.

You could also have a "leakless" pump that doesn't take grease there
Les Andrews' book notes that the bushing has a grease hole, not a groove. (I did not do the engine rebuild so I am uncertain as to what type of water pump it is.)

Note that, with the original style grease fitting, I would get cooling fluid seeping out of the fitting.

Does the leakless pump have both a front and back grease fitting?

Old 08-04-2013, 07:30 PM   #5
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe/Ct View Post
I am concerned that the grease hole on the rear bushing may not be aligned with the housing grease hole.
I'm afraid you're right.
Old 08-04-2013, 07:31 PM   #6
Joe/Ct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentwood Bob View Post
do you have the packing nut backed off before you try the grease gun?
bob
I did back off the packing nut and still no joy. I changed to a more modern ball-end grease fitting, squeezed the gun really hard and heard a pop/bank. Grease then seemed to go in with moderate force. I hope that I didn't hurt anything.

Old 08-04-2013, 08:05 PM   #7
Brentwood Bob

there is a thread that explains the procedure for greasing lightly after a run. you leave the motor idling, loosen the packing nut, apply one, and only one partial pump of your favorite marine grease, snug the packing nut only enough to eliminate any coolant drips. the trick is to minimize the grease that finds its way into the coolant. Roger kaufman of the model a news had an annual lestoil treatment with paper towels to blot the grease out of the radiator as an annual maintenance item.
Brentwood Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 07:43 AM   #8
Kurt in NJ

I have used the stock tool kit grease gun for my waterpump, ----for general greasing I have a much easier to use(one hand) era garage type gun
2 plunger applications of the original grease gun is enough to get the grease into the bushing ---but not so much that it gets into the cooling system, I have long life, rarely a drip, and havn't cleaned the radiator in 25 years

A stock rear bushing has a groove all the way around so there is no need to "line up the holes"
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 01:39 PM   #9
Richard Redmond

I'm rebuilding my 1929 water pump which I had previously 'rebuilt' about 5 years ago. I confess to being puzzled by the rear bushing and found this thread after a search. My initial thought was the grease holes do need to be aligned, but I now see that if the external groove aligns with the grease fitting - then grease will fill this groove and find its way to the shaft.

When fitting a new rear bushing - I nevertheless aligned the holes. We'll see if this is a mistake if there's a water leak - theoretical if the grease fitting cap is lost or falls off.

What concerns me is the difference between the old and new rear bush. When the new is inserted so that holes / groove align, there is significant rearward protrusion! See photos. Is the cast iron boss on the rear of the pump body shorter than normal in my case? If the bushing was pressed fully home, then the grease groove would not align with the grease fitting. The nose of the shaft/impellor fits into the cylinder head but the interior bearing pad is badly worn - hence the collar to prevent forward and aft play.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1658.jpg (117.1 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1659.jpg (110.3 KB, 45 views)
Richard Redmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 01:59 PM   #10
Bob C

To me it looks like the whole back of the bushing and pump housing is worn away.

Bob
Bob C is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 04:10 PM   #11
1955cj5

I have a couple of pumps in the garage so I took a picture or two..I can get more pictures if needed...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1080566.JPG (156.2 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg P1080568.JPG (169.8 KB, 39 views)
1955cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 12:35 PM   #12
Richard Redmond

Hmmm. Thanks to 1955cj5 for the prompt pictures. His cast iron boss appears to measure roughly 13/16 in height. Mine is less at 11/16 and the rim, which at first glance looks chamfered, is irregularly 'chipped'. The shaft is 10" long

So, I'll run this pump as it came with the car and engine, but it has a new, standard rear bushing and I have no idea what went on in Uruguay many years ago.
Richard Redmond is offline   Reply With Quote