Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-09-2015, 01:53 PM   #41
reggiedog

Default Re: model a original head

Thanks!!!!. That's what I thought you said but I just wanted to make sure and yes if you wouldn't of said anything I was going to use anti seize on all of the threads fine and coarse. I'm so glad you said something I didn't know that at all or that it would of mattered on the torqueing it down at all. But I don't have the RTV but I will get some now I only have anti seize been using that stuff for years for just about everything that I don't want to seize up on me. But thanks again I will make sure I do what you said in your first post that you sent me before but one thing are you a machanic or a engine builder ????. What I'm trying to find out is how do you know all of this stuff reason is after all of the people that posted on here you are the only one that said anything about this. And I know a few of them are machanics and they never said a thing about putting on the RTV or anti seize on any of the threads at all that's why I'm asking you how do you know this stuff. Thanks let me know reggiedog

Last edited by reggiedog; 03-09-2015 at 02:00 PM.
reggiedog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 03:35 PM   #42
edmondclinton
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by reggiedog View Post
Thanks!!!!. That's what I thought you said but I just wanted to make sure and yes if you wouldn't of said anything I was going to use anti seize on all of the threads fine and coarse. I'm so glad you said something I didn't know that at all or that it would of mattered on the torqueing it down at all. But I don't have the RTV but I will get some now I only have anti seize been using that stuff for years for just about everything that I don't want to seize up on me. But thanks again I will make sure I do what you said in your first post that you sent me before but one thing are you a machanic or a engine builder ????. What I'm trying to find out is how do you know all of this stuff reason is after all of the people that posted on here you are the only one that said anything about this. And I know a few of them are machanics and they never said a thing about putting on the RTV or anti seize on any of the threads at all that's why I'm asking you how do you know this stuff. Thanks let me know reggiedog

Soaked it up through osmosis .... followed by hands-on experience over a period of many years.
edmondclinton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 03:24 PM   #43
reggiedog

Welding the washer and bolt to the stud didn't work welded the washer the the stud and waited for it to cool down and just wigled it a little to see if it was stuck to the stud.
And it came right off so I tried it again samething then I thought that maybe it was just that one so I tried another stud and a the samething.
and I didn't even get to the bolt part of it so on the one and only stud that I have that's above the block I went and tried to weld a bolt to it and that didn't even stick.
So when you are welding something like this what kind of welding wire should you use.
Right now I'm using 0.35 flux core in a wire feed welder so what my question is what kind of welding wire that will stick to the studs or am I doing something wrong should I be drilling a hole in the stud to help the weld stick to the washers and the bolts.
Thanks let me know ASAP
Old 03-14-2015, 03:50 PM   #44
Bob C

I don't like flux core wire, use solid wire with gas, much cleaner.
This link to Vince's site will show how it should look.
http://www.fordgarage.com/pages/studremoval.htm

Bob
Bob C is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 04:10 PM   #45
reggiedog

Ya!!! I've seen that before and that's what mine looked like about anyway I used a bigger washer and a full bead on the top of it real thin washers that's all you can buy around here.
But the washer will NOT stick to the stud I'm thinking it's the wire and I do have the gas here also if I want to use it.
I would just have to switch the wire out to do it that would be a waste to do for 5 studs but with them not sticking to the stud or washer could it be what's on the washer that's making them not stick to anything or is it the wire I'm using ????.
Old 03-14-2015, 04:46 PM   #46
Tom Wesenberg

Flux core wire flat out sucks.
Take the block and some washers and nuts to a welder and pay him to do the job.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 10:17 PM   #47
maako

I was replacing my studs with the head gasket so I just removed the studs that were causing the head to hang up. came right off.
maako is offline   Reply With Quote