Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-12-2013, 08:20 PM   #21
Kahuna

Default Re: Best rust solution?

Thanks Henry
Also wondering how you know when it's done it's job?
I did notice it said to repeat the process
Kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 08:23 PM   #22
Conrad Rossi

Quote:
Originally Posted by TStiles View Post
I like the looks and sounds of the Evapo-Rust. I'd not heard of it before and just read up all about it. I wanted to make sure that it was safe for engine blocks. Sure enough. Here are the instructions on the web site for cooling systems. Looks like it shouldn't take more than overnight.

1. Drain cooling system and rinse with water.
2. Fill system with Evapo-Rust®. (Do NOT dilute.)
3. Run Engine under normal conditions, shut engine down and let sit, for a couple hours to overnight.
4. Drain system into a container for later use.
5. Flush system with water.
6. Repeat process (1-5) if necessary.
7. Fill system with proper coolant/antifreeze.

I've got my two test chemicals now. I'm going to soak one pump in vinegar and the other in Evapo-Rust and photograph them each day to see what happens and report.

Thanks for your ideas. Hope one of them work.

'Looks like you might be onto something. Please keep us posted on this.
Hello,

Another chelation agent are molases. There are pretty inexpensive and will not react with anu other metals. There are many videos in You Tube demonstrating how to use them and examples.

The only downside compared to any Evaporust-like product is time. Depending on the amount of rust to be removed it could take weeks to fully complete the job.

Please keepnus posted, Professor. ThanK you.
Old 11-12-2013, 08:23 PM   #23
poweredbylincoln

soak in white viniger then rinse!!

best thing since sliced bread!!
poweredbylincoln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 08:25 PM   #24
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahuna View Post
Thanks Henry
Also wondering how you know when it's done it's job?
I did notice it said to repeat the process

I'm assuming that it works like Naval Jelly that I've used for years. You know it's done its job when the rust is gone. Inside the engine? Well, that's why I'm testing it on my water pumps. If the Evapo-rust one is clean in the morning then I'll know it takes 12 hours or less. The instructions on the container say 2-12 hours. After that rinse it off to see if the rust is all gone and if not soak it again.

Last edited by Old Henry; 11-16-2013 at 06:38 PM.
Old Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 08:28 PM   #25
Jack E/NJ

Henry>>>I'm not sure what all of this discussion about radiators is. Mine is good.>>>

I think their concern here Henry, is that when the Evapo Rust or vinegar goes to work on cleaning your block, they might loosen chunky stuff up that'll clog up your good radiator.

Jack E/NJ
Jack E/NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 08:36 PM   #26
oldbugger

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Prof. Henry, I would check with your rebuilder and see how he cleaned it at rebuild time. It might be he cleaned the block but left the pumps on the bench. If the block was cleaned well, I would put the new pumps on and use a 50/50 mix, gives the best protection, that how it was meant to be used. Change coolant every 2 yrs. jmo. Paul
oldbugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 08:47 PM   #27
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack E/NJ View Post
Henry>>>I'm not sure what all of this discussion about radiators is. Mine is good.>>>

I think their concern here Henry, is that when the Evapo Rust or vinegar goes to work on cleaning your block, they might loosen chunky stuff up that'll clog up your good radiator.

Jack E/NJ
We'll see, if and when any rust is removed from the pumps, whether there are any "chunks" that would clog the radiator and will act accordingly. From all of the rust removal I've done before (the most dramatic with Muratic acid) I've never seen "chunks". All rust just dissolves into the solution.
Old 11-12-2013, 08:50 PM   #28
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbugger View Post
Prof. Henry, I would check with your rebuilder and see how he cleaned it at rebuild time. It might be he cleaned the block but left the pumps on the bench.
I thought about it and reached the same conclusion. The rust in my pumps is probably from 5 years and 45,000 miles use.

Still, if I find something that will remove it from the pumps I'll probably go ahead and put it in the engine to clean it out, "just in case." I hate boiling over. Even just one more time will be too many.
Old 11-12-2013, 09:08 PM   #29
Binx

Henry, I believe your major buildup is calcium with a rust tint. I don't recall you using distilled water in your system with the additive. Remember where you live is the remains (Salt Lake) of a giant prehistoric inland ocean and your ground water is rife with calcium/lime from all those little shell critters. Try some Limeaway on those pumps. If those deposits in the pump foam up then it is a calcium problem.

Lonnie
Binx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 09:29 PM   #30
Old Henry

Didn't wait till morning. Just took a peek after just an hour and here's the result so far. Evapo-rust on the left, vinegar on the right.

Before treatment to compare:

I'll check in another hour for any more changes.
Old 11-12-2013, 09:35 PM   #31
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binx View Post
Henry, I believe your major buildup is calcium with a rust tint. I don't recall you using distilled water in your system with the additive. Remember where you live is the remains (Salt Lake) of a giant prehistoric inland ocean and your ground water is rife with calcium/lime from all those little shell critters. Try some Limeaway on those pumps. If those deposits in the pump foam up then it is a calcium problem.

Lonnie
I generally try to use either distilled water or softened (decalcified) water. Sometimes on the road, though, when the water blows out I put in whatever is at hand. Usually drinking water from a convenience store (has some minerals in it).

As far as I know, Lime-away is just an acid like vinegar, both of which should dissolve calcium. If I have both rust and calcium it may take both the Evapo-rust and vinegar to do the job. We'll see.

Last edited by Old Henry; 11-16-2013 at 06:40 PM.
Old 11-12-2013, 10:09 PM   #32
Binx

Well yes, limeaway is an acid like vinegar is an acid. Both are lower on the Ph scale but are two different animals. Limeaway is sulfamic acid which has a unique affinity to attack calcium. Vinegar....not so much. You might want to give it a try.

Lonnie
Binx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 10:30 PM   #33
VeryTangled

Hello Everyone, Even the outside of the left pump is looking better! Fascinating!

VT/JeffH
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 10:01 AM   #34
Old Henry

Interesting. After 12 hours no more changes by the Evapo-rust on the left but the vinegar is obviously eating away whatever warts were under the rust (not doing much for the rust itself). The "warts" actually seem to look a little worse with the Evapo-rust. I'll keep soaking and see what more happens.

Last edited by Old Henry; 11-13-2013 at 10:44 AM.
Old 11-13-2013, 10:25 AM   #35
TStiles

This is a great thread, thanks for the updates, Professor. Prof. Henry, the Barn's very own "Mr. Wizard".
TStiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 11:08 AM   #36
Old Henry

Quote:
This is a great thread, thanks for the updates, Professor. Prof. Henry, the Barn's very own "Mr. Wizard".
Funny. I just watched the very first episode of Mr. Wizard on YouTube (1951) and he was showing a kid how to make a volcano with none other than Asbestos paper. Add some ammonium-dichromate, ground up sparklers, and a fuse and stand back. (Built and lit on a piece of bare plywood to "protect" the table. ) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l570H7wQdpo

Last edited by Old Henry; 11-13-2013 at 11:17 AM.
Old 11-13-2013, 12:40 PM   #37
FlatheadTed

Send a message via AIM to FlatheadTed

I use as a rust inhibiter Lath cutting fluid ,this is common in the Model A part of the hobby .Anty freeze is ok if you change it on the due date ,

Flathead Ted brake Floaters ,
FlatheadTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 12:57 PM   #38
john in illinois

I have used wood bleach (oxalic acid that used to be Prestone radiator flush, and washing soda, not baking soda to neutralize). I ran my model A for a summer with water wetter and plain water. Big mistake ,huge rust in the block.

Here is a long complicated post about this cleaner.http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...ner-flush.html

9 dry oz of Oxalic Acid (DAP Wood Bleach)
2 dry oz of Sodium Carbonate (Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda)
Mix acid with water in a bucket,pour in and idle untill up to temperature and leave in for a couple of hours. Neutralize with washing soda. This took all the rust out of my block and it does not attack any good metal.

This stuff really works. Here is a thread on HAMB. Doesn't even harm paint.
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...ht=oxalic+acid

John
john in illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 01:36 PM   #39
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

Photos...I think lime AND rust! I would do evapo--drain--acid (Lime away, vinegar)--rinse carefully--dump the evapo back in to get the rust under the departed lime. Then save the 5 gallons of evapo and dump all my spare parts into it...
Bruce Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 01:36 PM   #40
mrtexas

Quote:
I like the looks and sounds of the Evapo-Rust. I'd not heard of it before and just read up all about it. I wanted to make sure that it was safe for engine blocks. Sure enough. Here are the instructions on the web site for cooling systems. Looks like it shouldn't take more than overnight.

1. Drain cooling system and rinse with water.
2. Fill system with Evapo-Rust®. (Do NOT dilute.)
3. Run Engine under normal conditions, shut engine down and let sit, for a couple hours to overnight.
4. Drain system into a container for later use.
5. Flush system with water.
6. Repeat process (1-5) if necessary.
7. Fill system with proper coolant/antifreeze.

I've got my two test chemicals now. I'm going to soak one pump in vinegar and the other in Evapo-Rust and photograph them each day to see what happens and report.

Thanks for your ideas. Hope one of them work.

'Looks like you might be onto something. Please keep us posted on this.
If you like Evaporust you will like this stuff better: http://rustremoverproducts.com/

It is the same stuff as Evaporust but is concentrated and less than half price. I bought a gallon of it. I soaked a Model A block with Evaporust.

I used Evaporust to free the rusted tight glove box hinge on my 36 Woodie.
mrtexas is offline   Reply With Quote