Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-25-2023, 03:35 PM   #1
Fordestes

Default arching brake shoes,

I am donig the brakes on my 30 coupe, It has been around 50 years since I arched a set of shoes to the drums, My memory tells me to mic the drum, set machine to said diameter and back off the thimble adjustment about .006 leaving a small clearance on the heel and toe of the shoes to allow for anchored ends to expand to the drum, Is that the correct procedure ? I own a nice Shepard and Thomason commercial grinding machine, I havn't used it as I said for around 50 years ,it still works ok but never needed to arch any shoes. I would rather ask a dumb question than ruin a set of expensive linings. Thanks
Fordestes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2023, 04:23 PM   #2
nkaminar

Default Re: arching brake shoes,

Where are you located? I am sure a bunch of people on this site would also like to arch their brake shoes.

I believe you have the correct procedure but the best person to ask is Brent Terry. He is on this site so he may jump in. If he doesn't I will PM you with his contact information.

It is also important to have the shoes centered. There are tools available from the vendors for checking that. The Flat Head Ted kit allows the front shoes to float so centering is not as important.

You may want to grind or sand a small slope on the heals and toes as this helps prevent squealing.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2023, 04:26 PM   #3
rotorwrench

Your reasoning sounds good to me. Most folks would pay Randy Gross' price to do that stuff. There may be a few folks that can answer your question so I'll leave it to them.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2023, 04:44 PM   #4
Jim Mason

Ammco instructions. The offset is built in to the ammco, so you set at tge drum measurement. Don't know about yours
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ammco brake grinder.pdf (2.38 MB, 96 views)
Old 07-25-2023, 10:59 PM   #5
Fordestes

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkaminar View Post
Where are you located? I am sure a bunch of people on this site would also like to arch their brake shoes.

I believe you have the correct procedure but the best person to ask is Brent Terry. He is on this site so he may jump in. If he doesn't I will PM you with his contact information.

It is also important to have the shoes centered. There are tools available from the vendors for checking that. The Flat Head Ted kit allows the front shoes to float so centering is not as important.

You may want to grind or sand a small slope on the heals and toes as this helps prevent squealing.
I am aware of the centering and tapering the ends, it is the fine adjustment I cant remember , I just don't want to screw up my high dollar linings . as I said I remember something about backing off the thimble a few thou .
Old 07-25-2023, 11:10 PM   #6
Fordestes

Jim Mason, Thanks for the info. I see where I came up with the .006 heel and toe clearance, I was on the right track but couldnt remember the small details, I am in central okla if anyone needs to use the machine, it is in great shape and it is a commercial duty floor standing type. I also have a perfect circle brand piston knurlizer .
Old 07-26-2023, 09:55 AM   #7
mcgarrett

Jim Mason,
I have that exact Ammco brake arching machine, but sadly don't have any of the gauge plates mentioned in the instruction sheet. Guess my machine won't do a proper job of arching shoes without them. Wish I knew where I could get a set of them.
mcgarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2023, 11:04 AM   #8
larry harding

i have a friend who runs a garage near me and specializes in brake work. he says he never grinds brake shoes, but lets the shoes wear in. most brakes are disc now anyway. i think these machines were practically outlawed due to asbestos dust. the local "a" guru gave me his old grinder but i've only used it a time or two. to grind or wear in is a personal choice
larry harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2023, 11:42 AM   #9
Jim Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgarrett View Post
Jim Mason,
I have that exact Ammco brake arching machine, but sadly don't have any of the gauge plates mentioned in the instruction sheet. Guess my machine won't do a proper job of arching shoes without them. Wish I knew where I could get a set of them.

You can still use it with one of the other shoe clamps.
Old 07-26-2023, 12:43 PM   #10
ndnchf

An interesting topic that reminds me that I have a Barrett brake shoe riveting machine and brake shoe grinder. I've used the riveting machine, but never could figure out the shoe grinder part. It has a sanding drum and an adjustable guide. I does not seem to be as precision as other machines. But could still be useful.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rivet7.jpg (30.4 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg Bar2.jpg (64.0 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg Bar3.jpg (61.6 KB, 61 views)
ndnchf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2023, 06:23 PM   #11
Kurt in NJ

arcing to drum diameter and centering at same time, Barrett brake doktor
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7F13C176-49EA-463B-9222-F3BE71507129.jpg (31.7 KB, 90 views)
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2023, 05:27 AM   #12
nkaminar

Years ago I met an owner in South Carolina and drove with him in his Model A. I commented on how good his brakes were. He said that after installing new shoes he would ride the brakes until they seated to the drums.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2023, 02:13 PM   #13
Dave N.

This mite help someone , These are a copy drawings of the gauge plates for the Ammco brake arching machine The ruler is copied on the page so you can scale it correctly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg chart b.jpg (51.3 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg chart a.jpg (47.4 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg chart c.jpg (49.2 KB, 55 views)

Last edited by Dave N.; 08-11-2023 at 05:13 PM.
Dave N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2023, 10:58 AM   #14
dmar836

So does the Brake Doctor grind the linings while the roller pins are resting on the centering tabs? If so, isn't that just altering good, new parts to fit onto old, damaged parts?
dmar836 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2023, 11:12 AM   #15
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmar836 View Post
So does the Brake Doctor grind the linings while the roller pins are resting on the centering tabs? If so, isn't that just altering good, new parts to fit onto old, damaged parts?
Yes it is. On the rear brakes it is a little more forgiving however the issue there is if the housing race is worn on the bottom side, the Brake Doktor is registering on the 8:00 to 4:00 area but does not account for the wear that is generally found in the 5:00 to 7:00 area. When this is worn, the hub roller bearing rides out of centerline which effectively raises the drum by 0.030" or more. The Brake Doktor cannot compensate for that.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2023, 11:20 AM   #16
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkaminar View Post
Years ago I met an owner in South Carolina and drove with him in his Model A. I commented on how good his brakes were. He said that after installing new shoes he would ride the brakes until they seated to the drums.

Two thoughts on this, ...if the friction surface of the brake drum was machined extra rough to be able to grind away the lining material, then I can see how that would work however how does the brake drum know when to keep wearing off lining material? My guess it would go thru a lining fairly quickly.

Alternately, if the friction surface of the drum had a decent RA finish, then all riding the brakes will do is overheat the linings as it is trying to wear in ...thus causing the lining to either burn, -or at a minimum glaze over. At that point, the linings would not have the same amount of coefficient of friction, which would probably be the same as not having good brakes. Neither of his methods seems proper.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2023, 01:45 PM   #17
Fordestes

I just received some info on the question I had about the brake shoe grinder, the shoes are to be ground .030 under the diameter of the drum and a .006/.010 clearance at the heel and toe of the shoes to allow for expansion at pressure point/anchor points allowing full shoe contact at the drum when brakes are applied.
Old 08-08-2023, 10:30 AM   #18
Bob Bidonde

I custom fit relined brake shoes using the technique noted in the slide below. It is easy to do and this technique optimizes the fit of the shoes to the idiosyncrasies of the brakes on my cars.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Brake Lining - Finding & Removing Hi-Spots 175kb.jpg (58.4 KB, 60 views)
Old 08-08-2023, 10:57 AM   #19
Merc Cruzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob bidonde View Post
i custom fit relined brake shoes using the technique noted in the slide below. It is easy to do and this technique optimizes the fit of the shoes to the idiosyncrasies of the brakes on my cars.
(x2)
Merc Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote