Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model T (1909-1927)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-15-2011, 02:46 PM   #1
ldj1002

Default Warford question

Looking at a Model T C Cab. Owner inherited and doesn't know much about the truck. He can't even drive it. It has a Warford auxiliary 3 speed. What are the 3 speeds? I have heard that with a auxiliary transmission if you got it in neutral you could possibly not get back into gear and then you wouldn't have trannie brake making it hard or impossible to stop. Would that be a concern or just talk?
ldj1002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 04:42 PM   #2
Model T Monte

Default Re: Warford question

That is a trueism ! The warford is between the tranny and rearend. If you cant get it back in gear the only other source is the rear wheel parking brake. You need to learn to match the gears on the fly or shift at dead stop.
Model T Monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 08:26 PM   #3
FRANK PKNY

I had one in a tt truck under , direct and over drive. Did not shift very easy on the fly. Very danderus if you miss a shift on the fly. Rockey Mountain brakes would be very helpful if you buy it.
Old 09-17-2011, 12:12 PM   #4
ldj1002

I am going to look at the truck Tue. How can I identify if it is a underdrive only or a overdrive and uderdrive. Also is a 26 c cab wood framed with sheet metal or all steel?
ldj1002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 01:21 PM   #5
FRANK PKNY

Warfords are overdrive , direct and overdrive. If it's a Warford that's what you will have.
Old 09-17-2011, 02:41 PM   #6
Layden B

While unusual there is a 2 speed ( direct and under ) Warford transmission. If on top of the transmission the shifter has 2 round rods in the cover that slide back and forth then it is a 3 speed model ( under direct and overdrive). 2 speed units have only one rod.
The Ford truck cabs were all steel but many TT trucks were sold as chassis only and commercial bodies for them were usually wooden.
Layden B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 03:52 PM   #7
MrModelT

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRANK PKNY View Post
I had one in a tt truck under , direct and over drive. Did not shift very easy on the fly. Very danderus if you miss a shift on the fly. Rockey Mountain brakes would be very helpful if you buy it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Model T Monte View Post
That is a trueism ! The warford is between the tranny and rearend. If you cant get it back in gear the only other source is the rear wheel parking brake. You need to learn to match the gears on the fly or shift at dead stop.
All of the Model T accessory gearboxes (Warford, Chicago, Muncie, Jumbo, etc) are most certainly "shift on the fly" transmissions. You should never have to come to a complete stop to shift up or down. I do agree that any car or truck with one of these Auxiliary Overdrive gearboxes SHOULD have Rocky-Mountain brakes and a foot throttle for safety and ease of use!

I have a Chicago Mark-E in my '26 roadster and absolutely love it! They do take some "practice" and "getting used to"....but once you get it, they shift nice and smooth. The are great for making a T drivable...giving 6 total forward speeds and 3 in reverse. I will usually start off from a stop in Underdrive, mash down the low pedal, shifter in to high (on the planetary trans), then wind her out in high, take my foot off the gas as I pull the Chicago into neutral (pause here just for a sec) then pull the lever into direct with no grinding...truly a beautiful thing

Down shifting is a little tricky, but still easy to master. I let the car slow down a bit by taking my foot off the gas, push her into neutral, goose the throttle a bit (pause for just sec) then go for the lower gear.

The key is: if it won't go in, DON'T FORCE IT! ..Don't try to jam it in gear, that is how you break gearboxes. Just a little bit of hand pressure is all you need....if the gears are ready to mesh, they will

The Warford transmissions had a 1st gear (underdrive) ratio of 1.37:1, 2nd (Direct) was 1:1 and 3rd (overdrive) was 1:1.363.
MrModelT is offline   Reply With Quote