Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model T (1909-1927)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-16-2011, 07:15 PM   #1
allen

Send a message via ICQ to allen
Default fan belt

Hi guys trying to change the fan belt on my 27, order a belt from Snyder's got a 36 inch one in, but it is too short, yes i do have a water pump, synders said 36 is the longest one they got mine has 36.?6 on it any ideas thanks AL

Last edited by allen; 12-16-2011 at 07:29 PM.
allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 08:47 PM   #2
jackdaron

Default Re: fan belt

You do know the fan shaft has some adjustment on it?
jackdaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 09:20 PM   #3
Model T Monte

Allen, Too tight will knock out the bushings in the fan pronto. Gest-u-mate how much bigger you need and go to local parts store. Steal your wifes tape measure out of her sewing box and get a measurment. Best way I`ve found an bring home a serpentine belt. Monte
Model T Monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 09:52 PM   #4
allen

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdaron View Post
You do know the fan shaft has some adjustment on it?

yes all the way loose still 36 will not go on, guess i will try napa thanks
Old 12-17-2011, 12:12 AM   #5
[email protected]

Geez Allen, not meaning to be disrespectful but I'm thinking you're still not looking at this right. Of course without knowing what you've got for a waterpump it's hard to say. When I measured mine I adjusted the pully completely one way with the adjuster completely loose and then swung it the other way with the adjuster tight, taking measurement in each direction. By splitting the difference I came out right on the money. I hope you're able to figure it out.
garrisonm89@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 07:01 AM   #6
allen

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Geez Allen, not meaning to be disrespectful but I'm thinking you're still not looking at this right. Of course without knowing what you've got for a waterpump it's hard to say. When I measured mine I adjusted the pully completely one way with the adjuster completely loose and then swung it the other way with the adjuster tight, taking measurement in each direction. By splitting the difference I came out right on the money. I hope you're able to figure it out.
None taken thanks for the reply, Maybe I'm not clear in my writing, lets try again yes i know the adjustment is egg shape to get the belt tight, what I'm asking are there any other vendors out the that might have a fan belt longer than 36 inches, my belt (than one i took off is longer than 36 inches) it has a marking i cannot make out it reads 36.?6 the question mark is the number i cannot read, I was in hope someone out there might recognize the number and might know where to look, as I tried Snyder's, thanks once again for all the help AL
Old 12-17-2011, 08:57 AM   #7
Farmallcub49

If I was you, I would figure out what you need and then go to McMaster-Carr and look for part # 6082K12. These are an endless flat belt made to length. They stretch once and you retighten them and they have never stretched again for me. The only thing I like and nobody else seems to is they are green.
Farmallcub49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 12:27 PM   #8
[email protected]

So how are you doing with your fan belt issue? The green belt Farmallcub 49 suggested is a pretty good fix. i run one on my touring and it will stretch some and they perform very well.
garrisonm89@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 07:31 PM   #9
Willie in Houston

I have also had some endless belts made at a belt supply place in Houston. They were green on one side and white on the other side. They outlast those available from the venders by about 5 times, but they are also much higher in cost.
Willie in Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 07:40 PM   #10
allen

thanks guys you the best
Old 12-18-2011, 11:31 AM   #11
csporty

I had the same issue with my 26' I found a modern serpentine belt at the local auto parts store. It is a little narrower but works fine!
csporty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 07:28 PM   #12
allen

Up date on fan belt, While a bunch of my Friends were over and we were talking about the leather belt being to short when one of my Friends talk about his shoes and how he has to stretch them very time with water and vinegar, we all laugh and then I thought what the hell nothing to lose. so we took the belt and sit in tub of warm water with vinegar, and let it set for 5 hours, then rigged a pulley up and slid a 2 inch pipe under the arms of a engine hoist hook the belt around the pipe and pulley and set tension on it for over 5 more hours,
Much to my surprise the belt once dry fit easy over the pulley if fact i was worried that I stretch it too much but it was just right, now up and running again
NOW WERE ARE THOSE SHOES