Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-25-2023, 08:00 AM   #1
cvicky

Default canadian 54 ford

my flat head 54 ford has factory auto trans and power steering
will that bolt on to my 55 fairlane 272 Y block
cvicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 07:49 PM   #2
Daves55Sedan

Default Re: canadian 54 ford

As far as the transmission, they used to make an adaptor to mate a Flathead Fordomatic to a Y-block, but that was decades ago.
The flathead power steering pump brackets are different from the y-block ones but You may be able to buy the top cast iron water-pump bracket and bolt new from repro parts suppliers. Not sure if the flathead adjustable pump bracket will work on a Y-block water pump bracket. There is also a rear stabilizing pump bracket that bolts to the first bolt-hole on the Y-block exhaust manifold. If they don't still sell that new, you can fabricate that if need be. It also has slotted hole adjustment that may be difficult to duplicate without a pattern from an original one.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2023, 08:00 AM   #3
cvicky

thx Daves 55
i have y block water pump braket and i also have after market power steering box.
problem is my 55 is standard and clutch linkage is in the way of large ps box
is there a more modern auto trans that will bolt on to y block
the 54 crestline i have the floor is repaired poorly and the mounting brackets and channels are rotten plus its been parked for 30 years . i have a second parts car with only floor and quarter panels but they are good
i'm leaning toward driving the car but i think parting it out would be a beter financial move
Old 04-27-2023, 08:28 AM   #4
cvicky

54 crestline
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-9502.jpg (96.9 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-9503.jpg (81.7 KB, 19 views)
Old 04-28-2023, 06:41 AM   #5
cokefirst

This is very interesting. I know that Ford offered Power steering in 1953 here in the US, and for us, that was the last year of the flat head. I would think that that accessory would be super rare. I have been to a lot of car shows and have been a Ford guy since I graduated high school, but I have never seen a flat head with power steering.
cokefirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2023, 11:59 AM   #6
cvicky

i put 12 v direct to the starter an d cranked motor over several times with out plugs
now : can i start car with 12v battery and make sure block is not cracked and trans will move car before spending any money to save car (car is rough and i don't have 6v battery)
Old 04-29-2023, 09:17 PM   #7
mercman from oz

Canadian Advertisement for the 1954 Fords
mercman from oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2023, 12:15 AM   #8
Daves55Sedan

Don't understand the problem with transmission and power steering. The original Ford power steering assist utilized the STANDARD steering gear box for both manual and Fordomatic transmissions.
The original Ford power assist consisted of a fluid pump, control valve (which mounted on pitman arm end of tie-rod and a ram-cylinder. The cars with power steering also had a special idler arm and idler arm mounting bracket for the ram cylinder to push against. The whole system is completely bolt on with no special holes or fabrication different from the standard frame.
Old 04-30-2023, 12:21 AM   #9
Daves55Sedan

Don't understand the big problem with the floors, regardless of which car need repair. Fllor panels and underbody supports as well as inner and outer rockers can be had from most of the popular repro parts suppliers.
Anything that is rotted out can be replaced, even if you can't find panels you can cut 18 gage sheet metal and bend to fit as needed. Cut out the old rotten sections (with proper support/alignment) and fit your new panels in and cut edges as needed and mig-weld them in. Painting and sealing seams is needed to finish. DIY and save $$$.
Old 05-02-2023, 07:00 AM   #10
cvicky

my 55 crown vic is my dream car with standard steering and trans
i purchased after market power steering box to find out it is way bigger than factory
it will bolt in if cluctch and shifter linkage is removed

now the 54 crestline is a rough car i picked up recently but has a good look (not my dream car at all) out of all my cars its the one that needs the most work and is the roughest . the fact that it is hard top with tinted glass ,ps and auto trans is a bonus
Old 05-02-2023, 04:58 PM   #11
darrell

the power steering is not going to bolt up to your 55.the 54 flathead is still using the 53 front end.
darrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 05:57 PM   #12
Daves55Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrell View Post
the power steering is not going to bolt up to your 55.the 54 flathead is still using the 53 front end.
But he doesn't need any of the undercarriage stuff, because it is already there.
If he keeps the original steering gearbox, he may be able to use the existing flathead pump, but swap Y-block pump brackets for them (which should still be available new at repro parts suppliers. He will need the y-bloc bolt-on pulley at the engine crankshaft and new v-belt and cast iron PS pump-to-water-pump mounting bracket and bolt (all available at repro guys).
Probably wouldn't hurt to get a brand new set of PS hoses all around.