Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-09-2013, 12:13 PM   #1
jerry/tx

Default 36 coupe tire cover / standard

Ok to begin with Thanks for all the help on this big project . Finally got the cover off and the lock is exposed with the nut off the back and then k-boom. The oval cover that covers the lock to make it pretty won't let the lock come out of the cover . I hate the fact that my solution of cutting the rivet is the only way . Thanks Jerry
jerry/tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 01:19 PM   #2
charles in east texas

Default Re: 36 coupe tire cover / standard

Jerry, If you are talking about the oval stainless steel cover with the Ford script, the right side swings down exposing the lock. It swivels on the rivet. Charles
charles in east texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 02:25 PM   #3
jerry/tx

I know it swings on the rivet but it will not clear the lock to lift it out . The oval won't clear the lock to get it out. I've been round and round with this thing and the only way I see is to cut the rivet. Does yours clear the lock when you turn it ? Thanks Jerry
Old 03-09-2013, 04:36 PM   #4
FlatHeadCoupe

Jerry,
Don't cut the rivet/pin yet. Give these two methods a try first.

Method one: carefully pry the ferrell that holds the spring on the back side of the pin, off the end (it is force-fit). Don't let it fly into oblivion. remove spring and pin and oval cover and push cylinder out front using a deep well socket. After reinstallation of cylinder, re-install the cover, pin, spring, and ferrell in reverse order. (hope you didn't lose the ferrell).

Method two: rotate the oval fully upward to the left for maximum clearance; then using the afore- mentioned deep well socket, gently drive the cylinder by the oval cover. There will be a little resistance and a little flexing of the oval cover due to the spring loading. It is a little tight, scratches the surface of the outer surface of the cylinder (hidden when installed). Reverse the process after servicing the lock cylinder. If it deforms the edge of the oval cover, you can reshape it and polish.

Regards,
FlatHeadCoupe

PS both NOS and good used cylinders are available.
FlatHeadCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 04:47 PM   #5
charles in east texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry/tx View Post
I know it swings on the rivet but it will not clear the lock to lift it out . The oval won't clear the lock to get it out. I've been round and round with this thing and the only way I see is to cut the rivet. Does yours clear the lock when you turn it ? Thanks Jerry
Yes is does clear. Charles
charles in east texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 10:05 PM   #6
jerry/tx

Mine was 1/8 " that would not clear . A little southern eng. and I finally got it off . Didn't cut rivet . Everything will hide when assy. starts after key's are made . Talk about a long project . Glad it's over and now to find someone that can cut a key ..
Old 03-09-2013, 10:06 PM   #7
jerry/tx

Forgot : Thanks
Old 03-10-2013, 02:48 PM   #8
blucar

I guess I am a little confused about the tire cover lock problem that is being discussed herein and on the previous thread about removing the lock..
I originally assumed that the term ...36 coupe tire cover/ "standard" was referring to the "common" 36 cover, in lieu of the very rare '36 August cover, which some people have referred to in several publications as "Being a Standard 36 cover"..
As I have pointed out to several people throughout the years that I have been on the EFV8 and Ford Barn Forums.. My 36 is a late August car, it is a Deluxe 5 win coupe with about every accessory that Ford offered.. I am the second owner of my car having owned it since Sept, 1952... My car has always had the August cover on the spare tire..
Did the original owner request the cover?. Did the dealer switch covers because he thought the "new cover" was a more attractive design? Of course the August cover can't be switched on to the common mount because the mount for the August cover is different..We will never know...
I am not a purist and have no intention of showing my car in any EFV8 sanctioned meet, so if someone wants to contend that the tire cover on my car is not correct because my car is a DeLuxe, so be it, however, if the cover is mounted onto any car that was built prior to early August, 1936.. The cover is incorrect..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 36 Ford.'59.3.jpg (37.3 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg henry, tr cov.2.jpg (65.1 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg 36 Frd 8-36 cov.1.jpg (45.3 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg 36 Frd 8-36 cov.2.jpg (43.1 KB, 53 views)
Old 03-10-2013, 09:54 PM   #9
jerry/tx

Bill That's the cover that's on my car . I believe my car is a standard though . It only has one taillight , no waterfall on the dash , painted w/ shield frame , but it has wood grained dash . It is totally orig. never touched . Not nearly as slick as yours Thanks Jerry
Old 03-11-2013, 07:14 PM   #10
blucar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry/tx View Post
Bill That's the cover that's on my car . I believe my car is a standard though . It only has one taillight , no waterfall on the dash , painted w/ shield frame , but it has wood grained dash . It is totally orig. never touched . Not nearly as slick as yours Thanks Jerry
Have you checked your serial number to establish a build date?
An August car should have a serial number with a range from 3209944......3281036...
September is 3281837.....3339698
I would suspect that your car is not as original as you have been lead to believe.. The wood graining is a feature that the DeLuxe cars had, wood grained dash's generally have the "waterfall" in the center of the dash.
Another oddity that the Standard '36 Ford has is the exterior door handles, they are straight where-as the Deluxe is curved.. The exception is the Standards made in September '36, they have the curved handle like the DeLuxe's..
It is interesting to note that in years gone bye, hardly anyone restored Standard cars, they were all cloned into Deluxes.. Fifty years ago the Standard was the more common of the two cars..
As time has moved on, it has become more stylish to restore the older cars as Standards, because of their rarity..
Of course none of which I have written means a damn thing if the car is not being shown in EFV8 sanctioned meets.
My brother has a '37 Ford 4dr slant back.. When he brought the car in the late 1970's he was told that the car was an original "barn find" that had been repainted once, all original upholstery... It was obvious to me that the upholstery was not original.. However, the car had hydraulic brakes.. I questioned the hydraulic brakes, a '39 peddle assembly had been used with '39/41 brakes on stock '37 wheels.
The owner of the car claimed that the hydraulic brakes were a special order that was available in '37.. BS... However, my brother wanted to believe the hype, so he bought the car.
Ten years later my brother moved to Idaho, upon taking the car to the DMV in Idaho for new registration it was found that the serial number on the frame did not match the title, nor did it match the number on the registration.. I'll not go into the ensuing mess that followed.
The ownership, legality did get straightened out. To this day my brother still tells people that his car is a special order car with the very rare hydraulic brake option...
Old 03-11-2013, 09:06 PM   #11
jerry/tx

Well I believe my car has never been painted or molested in any way . I drove it into the shop the day I got it home and it stopped w/mechanical brakes . The motor is correct and the trans also . The interior is also the orig . According to your # the car was built in July . It has 35 handles and that funky cover over the tire . The tire was so old and brittle I cut it with a saw to get my hand behind bracket to remove the carrier so I could get a key made. The dash is wood grained and orig. . No waterfall . But the records are only as good as the one that recorded them and from what I hear it wasn't that perfect . A fellow barn member also believes it is orig. Thanks for the info.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:32 AM   #12
blucar

My comments about the authenticity of your car were not intended to dispute the claim that your car is a correct standard car... I was just trying to supply you with info about some features of the car, namely the tire cover, that could present judging problems, if you were to head in that direction in the future..
I guess that the presence of a "August Standard Tire Cover" on a July car kind of speaks for it's self..
It is very possible that your car is similar to mine.. If the August tire cover is truly a cover intended for the Standard cars only, as it has been report in several EFV8 sanctioned publications, then who or how, did the covers end up on my late August DeLuxe car and your July car?
I would submit that in all probability your car sat in a dealers inventory for several weeks, maybe longer.. The dealers had a habit of ordering cars in for stock that were basically stripped of any bolt-on items to save freight.. That would explain the August cover on your car..
In the case of my car.. The original owner might have liked the looks of the "New Styled Cover" telling the dealer that he wanted that cover. in lieu of the common '36 cover. With all of the accessories that my car has, Columbia, radio, dual arm rests, etc. the dealer would have been very accommodating..
I worked in a Ford dealership in Eastern Idaho in the early '50's, in the new car prep area.. The new cars came in by rail, in enclosed box cars, four new cars per rail car.. One of our jobs was to unload the new cars from the box cars.. The cars were shipped "dry", no oil water, fuel, etc. We installed all of the accessories, radio's, heaters, hood ornaments, hub caps, and in some cases bumpers and bumper guards.. The list was almost endless, because accessories were not controlled by the Federal Governments OPA rules..
Enjoy your Standard coupe, they are few and far between..
Old 03-12-2013, 10:55 AM   #13
blucar

A foot note to the "funky" tire cover statement..
I have always really liked the "August Cover" on my car.. The cover has a certain classy look to it, in lieu of being the common cover that everyone has..
The August cover is also very rare. I have only seen about six of them in the sixty years that I have owned my car.. I have three of the six I have seen.. The one on my car, one I found on a 2dr sdn I purchased in 1960, kept the cover when I sold the car, and one I purchased on eBay about five years ago.. I also have two common '36 covers..
As it has been reported here on the Barn already, the August cover requires a tire carrier mount that differs from the common mount.. See attached pix..
The August cover mount has an extension welded over the lock mount to accommodate the thinner dish of the August cover.. I have a pix of the August mount, however, for some reason it would not copy to this tread...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 36 Frd com mnt.jpg (76.8 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by blucar; 03-12-2013 at 11:00 AM.
blucar is offline   Reply With Quote