Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-02-2023, 10:46 AM   #1
54FordYBlockGuy

Default Selling a "Classic"

I just want to share this with the group; actually, I just want to "Vent" a little.

So, I have this 1954 Ford Customline I recently picked up; and like all my "finds", I usually enjoy them, find out as much as I can about them, and often "flip them", just to see what else is out there and what else I can end up with, a hobby of mine.

So; I put the 54 up for sale, Marketplace; and received all kinds of questions, offers, etc.

One potential buyer showed interest; asked and I answered honestly a bunch of questions; condition, recent repairs, and everything you should ask.

Plus my add description explained the car very well.

We then come to an "Agreed Price to Purchase".

He (the potential buyer) was in South Carolina, I'm in Ohio; so there was some cost for him to drive up, and trailer back the 54; I considered that on the agreed price.

He shows up, and I have the 54 ready to load; he then asked to drive the car, and I agreed; here is what I found out: (He):

1. Not familiar with, driving a "Standard Shift", which he knew it was.

2. not familiar with the old "3-On-Da-Tree" shifting.

3. Never drove a car with "Standard Steering".

4. Never drove a car with "Standard Brakes".

5. Expected a Kia, Toyota drive.

In other words, not a true "Vintage Classic Car Guy".

That long drive, that hotel stay, that renting a trailer, and he is now on his way home with nothing, family in tow.

Sad!

My tip: If anyone is considering buying a "Classic" a "70 Year Old Car/Truck", be aware of what you are getting into; also you know those "1/2 Hour Car Shows" on TV, where they take a car, a rusted out car and by the end of the show (30 minutes) its' a "Show Stopper", well you'll have more than 30 minutes in your Classic.

Don't waste the "Sellers' Time"
Don't waste you, the "Buyers Time"

Thanks for allowing me to vent.

JPL/Ohio
54FordYBlockGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2023, 11:03 AM   #2
Gene F

Default Re: Selling a "Classic"

Yes, TV is not the real world. And if I go look at a classic car, and they say "fix it up take it to Barrett-Jackson and make some money" one more time I think I'm gonnapuke! Actually when I hear that I start cutting the price of any potential offer in my mind every time they say that.

And a car that is supposedly done, or even complete usually is far from that. I have had a couple of streetrods, and people make some BAD CHOICES when putting a car together.
Gene F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2023, 11:38 AM   #3
58Yeoman

Last December, I drove 5 hours one way to buy an off topic car that was in the 'sanding for new paint' condition. He wanted $4500 for it, and I didn't quibble about the long drive and renting a trailer. When I got there, he noted that he didn't mention the rust hole in the drivers' floor, and ended up knocking off $400, which was fine with me.

Of course, I had to replace both front floors, rebuild both carbs, and other, more serious bodywork than he could handle, and replace the weatherstrips on w/s and rear window. After all that and more, it's still in the 'needing paint' phase, but I don't mind it. I bought it to keep me busy.
58Yeoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2023, 09:39 PM   #4
54FordYBlockGuy

When I sell cars I try hard to explain the car in the description; but what I am getting at is when you are looking at a 70-year-old car, that is not a Barett Jackson Car, not a "Body Off Restoration", somewhat of simply a "Survivor", well you have to, should consider that a lot of "hands" have been on that car, 70 years of "?" repairs, fixes.....expect that and put the price on that consideration.

Also: when I am asked: "Would it make it home"; home being 100 miles or more; well I have a newer F 150, and I was on a 45-mile trip when it just STOPPED on me, a computer problem; so my answer usually is "maybe"......oh well, the 54 will probably be going in the back shop over the winter; late night "what should I do now" project, come out this Spring a much better ride; thanks for the replies.
Old 10-04-2023, 02:42 PM   #5
Abe Lugo

Was he expecting reimbursement for his time and travel? Otherwise just say no deal and have him lock rocks.
A grown ass man should know what to expect with a vintage car that is stock. You would have noted the power features of the vehicle had them.

Good luck with the sale. My best deco is to drive the car and show it, it usually attracts
buyers.

I have flown to see cars I have passed on. Knowing full well that there is a chance I might pass. But always find a back up of things to do or see.
Abe Lugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2023, 09:09 PM   #6
54FordYBlockGuy

Abe; not sure what he was expecting, but I couldn't have been more descriptive in the many, many texts we shared.....I felt bad for his family, wife with a baby in the back, the son was about 10 years old.... 10-hour drive, hauling a trailer; then 10 hours back with NO CAR....oh well just needed to vent a little. Thanks for all the replies; I think the 54 is going in the back shop in a few weeks and come out looking a lot better.
Old 10-04-2023, 10:37 PM   #7
fordor41

we tried to sell our '41 ford fordor . had on all the usual sites and a guy in Fla called and wanted it now! wanted to send whole am't, without actually seeing the car, to me and pick the car up in the spring. I said no, I'd take a down payment, take it off the market and when he came up in the spring if he didn't want it I'd refund him the down payment. then he wanted more pics. I must have sent him 75 pics of every possible part of the car. then he started talking about other cars so I asked him if he was really going to buy the car and he said no because it had no a/c and power steering , which he knew from the get go. wanted his down payment back & I sent him a partial payment for leading me on for about 6 mos. he was pissed but never heard from him again and we sold it locally.
fordor41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2023, 03:15 AM   #8
KULTULZ

Quote:
... wanted his down payment back & I sent him a partial payment for leading me on for about 6 mos.
More than fair. How many missed sales do you think it caused?
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2023, 03:55 AM   #9
Abe Lugo

Yeah no way. Hold a car deposit for a few weeks max. Or until a know date. But always say if a potential sale comes along. Move on it. That is no good either.
Abe Lugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2023, 08:11 PM   #10
darrell

friend had a 54 merc for sale still with nylon tires.the car was a mile from his place this guy stopped and wanted the car.he didnt even want to take it for a drive friend talked him into driving it to his place.end of sale.these people expect a new car performance.on top of that they know zero about any car.
darrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2023, 10:22 PM   #11
fordor41

Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ View Post
More than fair. How many missed sales do you think it caused?
didn't really get any offers. lowered the price a couple K & we went to a cruise-in months later and a guy bought it on the spot.
fordor41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2023, 04:27 PM   #12
54FordYBlockGuy

Well; it appears we have all had the "Colonel Kling" - "I Know Nothing" [ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmzsWxPLIOo ] potential buyers.....only some of us "older car guys" will remember Colonel Klink....anyway I now put so much in the Marketplace description, I think I'm scaring people off, oh well, next month she'll go in the back shop and come out this Spring, ready to cruise a little smoother, thanks for the comments.