Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-29-2012, 03:27 PM   #1
Daves55Sedan

Default 52-56 Wagon gas tanks

I had finished restoring a '55 Ford Courier sedan delivery wagon in 2000. It was a shell on a frame when I picked it up in 1996.

Needless to say it was gruelling work just finding all the right peices to assemble a 223 I-block six mileagemaker with a Ford-O-Matic. But finding a gas tank was like looking for a needle in a haystack.

I found few junkyards that still had 55 wagons, but they wouldn't touch them and wouldn't let you pull them yourself.

I found a place called Andrews in Hemmings motor News that sold gas tanks. With little choice left I bought one from them for around $250. When I received it, I nearly cried. It was the biggest pile of pitted rust and dents I ever saw in one spot. I worked on it for days feverishly trying to make it look halfway decent. The bottom of the tank had been caved in badly, so that the sending unit float would not be able to reach its true bottom, thus always leaving you to guess if you had any gas in the tank. I did not attempt to cut the tank in halves to remedy this, hoping I could find a better tank later. The goal now was to just get my project running.

I left the wagon sit in mothballs at the beginning of 2009 with a full tank of ethanol gas. I have lately noticed a smell of gas when entering the garage and discoverered the tank was leaking thru a rusthole at the bottom of the tank. I drained the tank and dumped the gas into 5-gallon cans which I tranferred to my '55 sedan. It is still driven daily. Now searching again for something better, here is what I have found:

Several Repro suppliers have been offering new tanks for a few years now, but not for the wagon models.

Auto City Classic inc located in Isanti, Minnesota offers the '52 - '56 ford wagon gas tank. It is supposedly a zinc-plated metal fabricated duplicate of the original for $399.00 not including shipping cost.

Rock Valley antique Auto parts In Stillman Valley, Illinois keeps old tanks for use as templates to fabricate custom tanks. Their tanks will not look like original, but offer custom options such as integral fuel pump or non-standard sending units, etc. Their price $800.00 not incl shipping.

I am hoping that many other repro suppliers will jump on the bandwagon and offer wagon tanks and increase competition, hopefully lowering prices.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 04:28 PM   #2
HOTRODPRIMER

Default Re: 52-56 Wagon gas tanks

Having just finished our '54 Ford Ranch Wagon and discovering I had a minor leak even though I had it vatted and pressure tested and sealed I am still looking to replace it.

I sent a E-mail to Auto City Classic inc inquiring about their gas tank for the 52-56 wagons,,most notable was a request for photos but haven't heard anything back from them. HRP
Old 03-29-2012, 04:45 PM   #3
Y-Blockhead

Wagon tanks are indeed hard to find. I have been looking for one for quite awhile. The tank I have works but has a dent in the bottom that reduces the capacity ~4 gal. I did find another on eBay that was about the same.

I guess one of these days I'm just going to have to bite the bullet and cut the spare one half so I can knock the dent out. Unless someone has a better idea??

I assume that because on the low production numbers of the Wagons compared to the sedans there isn't enough profit to repo tanks for wagons.

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 03-29-2012 at 10:16 PM.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 07:27 PM   #4
Oldmics
BANNED

There was a source for 57 wagon tanks.I got a new one for my 58 Edsel Roundup (same as a 57 wagon).

Dont know the fitting differences but if you think it will work try Bob Drake or some of his dealers (such as FordCraft) for the 57 Ford wagon tank.

Oldmics
Oldmics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 09:01 PM   #5
parklane

Yes, the wagon tanks are almost unobtainable. With the bottom pushed in, have you tried using some air pressure? Just don't overdo it.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:13 PM   #6
HOTRODPRIMER

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I'm not sure about production numbers other than the 1954 Fords but between the mainline wagon,the customline wagon and the country squire Ford produced 141,582 so add that to the 52-56 there were a lot of wagons built.

I would think there is a demand for a correct gas tank for these years. HRP
Old 03-29-2012, 10:16 PM   #7
Y-Blockhead

I have thought about using air pressure to push it out, just don't have the gonads to try it, haha. It's funny that both tanks I have have the same dent in the bottom.
What I was thinking of doing is setting my regulator at a low pressure and connecting an air line to the tank and see what happens. What concerns me is I don't know the integrity of the 57 year old tank.
Old 03-30-2012, 01:24 AM   #8
Daves55Sedan

Any attempt to use air pressure to push the bottom of the tank back out would be fruitless, but could possibly cause weaker areas of the tank where rust has pitted the metal to become ruptured.
Not only is the entire bottom of the tank caved in, but in the middle of the tank there is a drop-down area where the float should sit when the tank gets near empty. On my tank there is a huge dent there. That part of the tank is very strong and there is no way to fix that without cutting the tank halves apart and attack the big dent from above with a peice of lumber and a hammer.
I have no doubt that suppliers could sell a lot of tanks to owners of 52-56 Ford wagons. This isn't the only Ford website I frequent, and I have run across folks on many forums on different sites who have expressed the need for replacement tanks for their wagons (particularly '55 & '56's). As to how profitable it might be for the supplier to go to the trouble of offering them, I could only guess if it would be worth it to them.
I spoke to someone from Auto City Classic Inc on the phone today. The info I gave in my original post is what he told me over the phone. He also said that he had some on order.
Old 03-30-2012, 10:04 AM   #9
Y-Blockhead

Dave, thanks for the info. What your saying about air pressure is exactly why I'm hesitant to try it.

Makes you wonder why so many Wagon Tanks are dented in the same place. I have two, you have one... Must be the location and it is bottoming out when loaded down or something of that nature.

Does Auto City Classic have a Phone number or web site? Maybe if a bunch of us show interest it will make it worth while to him to "Get ur' done".
Old 03-30-2012, 10:12 AM   #10
Y-Blockhead

OK, found them. Did they happen to mention when they would be available? http://bit.ly/Hx8Z2g

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 03-30-2012 at 10:31 AM.
Old 03-30-2012, 10:37 AM   #11
HOTRODPRIMER

This is whats on there site,,not much help.HRP

http://www.autocityclassic.com/index...1177&Itemid=64
Old 03-30-2012, 10:42 AM   #12
Y-Blockhead

Whoa, DUDES. Look what I just found on eBay... http://bit.ly/GXWOtY Looks just like my tank but without the dent. Even has a new bung which I can seem to get to stop weeping on my old tank.

Thing that gets me is a Wagon Tank costs over twice as much as a sedan tank?? Same guy http://bit.ly/HoWjHl

Supply and demand I guess.

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 03-30-2012 at 10:58 AM.
Old 03-30-2012, 10:53 AM   #13
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOTRODPRIMER View Post
so add that to the 52-56 there were a lot of wagons built.HRP
I meant in comparison to the amount of sedans that were built. Not that there wasn't a lot of Wagons built. You know the ratio of cars to wagons built? You knew what I meant. Your just pulling my Lariat... Right?

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 03-30-2012 at 11:36 AM.
Old 03-30-2012, 12:18 PM   #14
Daves55Sedan

Y-Blockhead....I didn't bother to look on ebay, because I hate them with a passion. I used to buy and sell parts on ebay long ago. listing fees are outrageous. The are other internet stores that allow people to sell for FREE. Someday, people will get fed up with ebay and switch to the alternatives.
Yes that is it. It is a beautiful reproduction. If I do place an order from them, I will not order thru ebay. I will order direct from Auto City Classic.
Old 03-30-2012, 01:54 PM   #15
Y-Blockhead

Yeah, I was just doing a search for '55 Wagon Tanks and that came up. I was surprised because I have looked on e-Pay before. Thought I would pass it along so at least we KNOW that they are not a figment of someones imagination.

Like Edelbrock a couple years ago putting in their Catalog that they were going to start making the 573 manifold again. That's the three deuce manifold for Y-Blocks for those that don't know. Had a lot of people waiting...Never happened... Just kinda disappeared for their catalog. OK, my rant is over.
Old 03-30-2012, 01:59 PM   #16
Y-Blockhead

I was just looking the one e-Pay and noticed that it is from the same city (ISANTI, MN) as Auto City Classic. Same people?? Can I assume he has some in stock?
Old 03-31-2012, 01:08 AM   #17
Daves55Sedan

It is the same people. The ebay page even shows the company name Auto City Classic, but it is not immediately noticeable. You have to look for it to find it. He did not say he has any in stock, but he said he does have some on order. You can send him a e-mail inquiry from the company website. I think the guys name is Tom.
Old 03-31-2012, 07:23 PM   #18
Y-Blockhead

Dave, What I meant in my post is if he has them for sale on e-Pay which states "5 available" and "delivery date 4/3 - 4/9" he sure as hell better not just have them "On order"...

I did email him both thru e-Pay and Auto City Classic but no response as yet.

I can't afford one anyway right now but it is good to know Somebody makes them.
Old 03-31-2012, 07:46 PM   #19
Daves55Sedan

I believe that means he has five in stock right now, and if you placed your order right now, it would ship in 5 days or more, depending upon your location.
Old 04-02-2012, 11:07 AM   #20
Y-Blockhead

Got a call from Tom at Auto City Classics this morning and he sez he has 74 of the tanks in stock and also has fuel gauge sending units.