Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-02-2012, 05:50 PM   #21
HOTRODPRIMER

Default Re: 52-56 Wagon gas tanks

I received a E-mail from Tom this morning. HRP
Old 04-08-2012, 04:41 PM   #22
ken ct
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y-Blockhead View Post
Wagon tanks are indeed hard to find. I have been looking for one for quite awhile. The tank I have works but has a dent in the bottom that reduces the capacity ~4 gal. I did find another on eBay that was about the same.

I guess one of these days I'm just going to have to bite the bullet and cut the spare one half so I can knock the dent out. Unless someone has a better idea??

I assume that because on the low production numbers of the Wagons compared to the sedans there isn't enough profit to repo tanks for wagons.
I ran through ebays ads under "MOtors "ANTIQUE FORD PARTS" there is evidently some co making them couldn't get an ad # but its there.Brand new. Suposedly had 8 of them left. ken ct. sorry i cant pin it down more than that. ken ct.
ken ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 01:26 AM   #23
Y-Blockhead

I believe that is the same guy we are talking about.

http://bit.ly/GXWOtY

http://bit.ly/Hx8Z2g
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:53 AM   #24
41ford1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y-Blockhead View Post

I guess one of these days I'm just going to have to bite the bullet and cut the spare one half so I can knock the dent out. Unless someone has a better idea??
If you can get a toilet plunger to seal on the tank you might be able to pull the dent. I have pulled many sheet metal dents using a plunger. Its worth a try before you cut it open.
41ford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 02:50 PM   #25
HOTRODPRIMER

I ordered a new tank today,I will let you guys know how it works out. HRP

Last edited by HOTRODPRIMER; 04-16-2012 at 03:24 PM.
HOTRODPRIMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 11:01 PM   #26
Y-Blockhead

41ford, As you can see in the picture above it is ribbed (this is the top but the bottom is similar). I also believe the gauge of the metal on the tank is thicker than body sheet metal. Sure seems so anyway. I tried pushing it out through the filler neck with no luck.
I think I may be buying a tank like HOTRODPRIMER when I get some extra ca$h.
Old 04-17-2012, 06:26 AM   #27
frank long island

might be a long shot try sealing the holes and give it a shot of air it works with seating tires
frank long island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:35 AM   #28
HOTRODPRIMER

Remember,these tanks are between 60-64 years old and if you start forcing serious pressure you could rupture a seam or blow out a weak spot.

My tank had been tested and repaired at a reputable shop but when I started driving the car I noticed a damp spot near the gas line at the back of the tank,,not wet just discolored.

I had already decided to pull the tank and take it back to the shop and get it rechecked or try and fabricate something to replace it.

Granted the replacement tanks are expensive but peace of mind not to mention safety aspect makes it worth it to me. HRP
Old 04-17-2012, 10:35 AM   #29
Y-Blockhead

Frank, Parklane suggested the same thing in post #5. Beleave me I have thought long and hard in the past about trying air pressure. I even went so far as to buy an expandable freeze plug (the rubber kind with the nut you tighten) and installed it into my spare tank.
Like I mentioned earlier, my gonads aren't big enough to actually pressure it up. Hmmm, maybe with a very long hose... and I could get my ex-wife to stand next to it and monitor the progress.
Old 04-17-2012, 10:36 AM   #30
Y-Blockhead

Ah wait. That last part is a joke...
Old 04-17-2012, 09:20 PM   #31
parklane

Well, you can always use a hand/foot pump, that way you put in as much/little as you feel comfortable with. You can also persuade it a little with a rubber mallet to help it along.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:44 PM   #32
Ford blue blood

I have put a small yard ball (childs, 1.50 at the toy counter) with the standard ball pump spike modified with extra hose into the tank through the sender hole, blow it up, pat the tank at the creases with a slapper, let out the air and VERY carefully pull it back out. I use welding rod to push it into position. If the fill spike comes out with the ball in the tank just poke a hole in it and pull out with a hook.

2016 F-150
2016 Focus
08 Shelby GT500
57 Ford Ranchero
36 Chevy, 351C/FMX, 8", Mustang II
Ford blue blood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:32 PM   #33
Daves55Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOTRODPRIMER View Post
I ordered a new tank today,I will let you guys know how it works out. HRP
I just noticed that the photo of the tank from Auto City Classic Inc is a top view, which means that the tank they are producing is actually two bottom halves welded together. (notice the angled hump in the middle where they have the sending unit hole located). On the original tank, that hump only occurs on the BOTTOM, not on the top. This makes me wonder if there wont be a problem getting the tank to sit flat against the floorboard. Remember, these tanks are rigidly mounted on brackets bolted to the frame, so there is no adjustment, like on the passenger car tanks that have adjustable straps.
I look forward to your future report.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:36 PM   #34
Daves55Sedan

[QUOTE=I also believe the gauge of the metal on the tank is thicker than body sheet metal. Sure seems so anyway. I tried pushing it out through the filler neck with no luck.[/QUOTE]

Believe me it is very strong metal. I removed my sending unit and inserted a broomstick and hit the broomstick with a sledgehammer to knock out the dent in the bottom of mine.
It didnt even phase it at all. The only way to attack it would be to cut the tank halves apart.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 12:47 PM   #35
gregk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daves55Sedan View Post
I just noticed that the photo of the tank from Auto City Classic Inc is a top view, which means that the tank they are producing is actually two bottom halves welded together. (notice the angled hump in the middle where they have the sending unit hole located). On the original tank, that hump only occurs on the BOTTOM, not on the top. This makes me wonder if there wont be a problem getting the tank to sit flat against the floorboard. Remember, these tanks are rigidly mounted on brackets bolted to the frame, so there is no adjustment, like on the passenger car tanks that have adjustable straps.
I look forward to your future report.
After checking out 2 used tanks for my 54 wagon, i ended up making a new tank as repo tanks wern't available at the time. Both of the original tanks were made with two top halves. There is a provision for the filler neck and the drain plug, and fuel sending unit on both halves. At the time i thought it was a stoke of genius.
gregk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 08:38 AM   #36
HOTRODPRIMER

I received my new gas tank late yesterday and I just removed it from the box,,it was well packaged and from all appearances the size and shape is right on the money with the exception of the V type rolled bracing is slightly different.

One think that was apparently clear is this new tank has some sort of vent beside the gas filler neck,,something that my current tank does not have and I suspect that this being a tank designed to fit the 52-56 station wagons that the 55-56 must be vented tanks,,

The 52-54 tanks are not vented,,correct me if I am wrong.

I suppose I need to find some type of gas compatible hose and block this off.

The tank does have several patterns to except a wide variety of sending units without having to buy additional adapters like I had to with my original tank and aftermarket Stewart Warner sending unit. HRP

Last edited by HOTRODPRIMER; 04-21-2012 at 09:53 AM.
HOTRODPRIMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 04:20 PM   #37
HOTRODPRIMER

I have learned that the 55-56 tanks do have this vent. HRP
Old 04-21-2012, 08:15 PM   #38
Y-Blockhead

The "vent" connects to the side of the filer neck near the top on my '55. I'm assuming to vent the tank while filling...
Old 04-21-2012, 08:39 PM   #39
HOTRODPRIMER

Guys,this tank is a universal tank meaning it will work on 52-56 Ford station wagons however 52-54 Ford wagons original tanks never had a vent tube,they used a vented cap.

Mike at Auto City Classics explained to me that it is easier to add the vent tube during construction to accommodate the 55-56 wagons than trying to add one after purchase,,as for us on the 52-54 wagons it's an easy plug.

I have driven the wagon about 600 miles since I got it running last month with the original unvented tank so I see no reason to change anything,,if it ain't broke don't try and fix it.HRP

4t6ford,,the tank is available through Auto City Classics,,763-444-5880,,as for Mike.