Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-28-2014, 01:13 PM   #1
steve fritz

Default Do I have a Business Coup or 5 Window

Here are some pictures of a 40 Ford Coup I just bought and am trying to figure out if it is an original Business Coup or 5 Window Coup. Apparently the floors are different in the back seat area. I want to get some replacement sheet metal floor panels for it and I've been told that the floors are different between the two models.
I'll try to load some pictures now.
Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00621.jpg (63.5 KB, 164 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00624.jpg (70.0 KB, 160 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00209.jpg (49.4 KB, 139 views)
steve fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 02:31 PM   #2
19Fordy

Default Re: Do I have a Business Coup or 5 Window

Below are photos of my 1940 DeLuxe 5 Window Coupe, Model 01A-77b that came with the package tray. The business coupe (Model 01A-67B) had the small opera seats. Do you see any holes or supports where the small rear fold down seats might have attached?
Also. it looks like a large rectangular patch panel has been welded into your floor and the 3 angular braces have been extended and repositioned for some reason. I venture to say you have a 5 window coupe with an altered floor and braces.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9941B.jpg (51.7 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9932B.jpg (71.8 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9933B.jpg (67.9 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9930B.jpg (51.9 KB, 83 views)

Last edited by 19Fordy; 02-28-2014 at 03:02 PM.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 02:40 PM   #3
40cpe

I agree with 19fordy. The step-down on my business coupe is to the rear of the vertical post for the spare tire mount. The spare tire is actually forward of the step-down, and the floor is flat from there on forward. Notice the difference in the angled braces that attach to the fender wells.
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 02:57 PM   #4
V8 Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve fritz View Post
Here are some pictures of a 40 Ford Coup I just bought and am trying to figure out if it is an original Business Coup or 5 Window Coup. Apparently the floors are different in the back seat area. I want to get some replacement sheet metal floor panels for it and I've been told that the floors are different between the two models.
I'll try to load some pictures now.
Steve
Your coupe is a 5 window. You can see the metal L strip that surrounds the rear and would retain the missing rear package shelf. Also, the bottom of the middle vertical brace (that supports the spare tire) has been relocated to the rear from it's original location, which was at the front/top edge of the floor riser.
V8 Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 03:16 PM   #5
Shadetree

Did the business coupes have jump seats? I always thought there was just a tray behind the seat on business coupes.
Old 02-28-2014, 03:21 PM   #6
19Fordy

Steve, I concur with the package tray L bracket evidence. On the 5 window coupe you should be able to see the curved "L" bracket that follows a curved contour beneath the rear window and quarter windows. The package tray rests on this "L". Do you see any remnants of this bracket or indications that it has been removed? If your car had the "L" bracket. it's a 5 window coupe that had a bench front seat and no rear seat or small "opera" seats. The rear cushion of the front seat is hinged to the top of the wooden seat frame and swings upward for access to the large amount of floor space below the package tray. The rear seat cushion is held in the "up" position by a metal swing arm hinge that is also bolted to the inside of the seat frame.

Last edited by 19Fordy; 02-28-2014 at 03:46 PM.
Old 02-28-2014, 05:54 PM   #7
steve fritz

19Forty and V8 Bob.....thanks so much for your help on this. I understand and agree that my car must be the 5 window coupe model. I do have the ledge L shelve for the package trey. It is hard to see, but it's there. I also have the old package trey wooden frame. All I have is the spring frame for the front seat, so I'll be looking to find that whole front seat assymbly with the hinged back rest as well.
My first task is to find a supplier that makes the floor pans for this rear trunk area and into the back seat. Any help on suppliers on that would be appreciated.
Your right about the "patch job" that somebody before me did on that rear seat area, it's really ratty. Also, I don't know why those vertical supports are located the way they are. Your picture of your car seems to show these mounted much higher on the wheel wells, and my spare tire support looks like it is wrong too. It should run further into the trunk area.
These vertical supports are really in poor shape.....Does anybody reproduce these support brackets???
19Forty....can you please shoot a picture of your back seat area from the inside of the car, just to show me what it should look like from that angle? Is that area then covered with some kind of upholstery material or hard board ??
Thanks again for your reply's, it will help me get started.
Steve
Old 02-28-2014, 06:08 PM   #8
swoopNZ
MEMBER EMERITUS

Get a Drake ( or Carpenter ) floor installed .
swoopNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 06:50 PM   #9
joel

I don't know why, but I've seen those "angle braces" that you refer to both ways. I used Paul Bradleys pans to repair my trunk area, but Carpenters are more complete if you need to do the whole trunk section. Here are some pix of the 5 window rear floor and trunk.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 021 (800x600).jpg (254.9 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg 023 (800x600).jpg (286.8 KB, 93 views)
joel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 06:53 PM   #10
rotorwrench

Dennis Carpenter ended up with the complete coupe body reproduction that Bob Drake was initially a part of. Both will likely be reaping benefits of the sheet metal panels from the manufacturer of the bodies. I'm not sure if they are making the 5 Window version or the Business Coupe version but they might have the braces and the riser panels at some point.

There have been so many nays and yays about the Paul Bradley stuff that I would hesitate to recommend him. He does good work but takes forever sometimes.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 07:04 PM   #11
19Fordy

Quote:
Originally Posted by joel View Post
I don't know why, but I've seen those "angle braces" that you refer to both ways. I used Paul Bradleys pans to repair my trunk area, but Carpenters are more complete if you need to do the whole trunk section. Here are some pix of the 5 window rear floor and trunk.
Joel, Thanks for posting those photos. Perhaps there was a design change at some point.
Old 02-28-2014, 08:12 PM   #12
V8 Bob

19Forty,
My '40 5 window has the same style rear braces as your '40. Probably a production design change.

steve,
That middle brace may have been relocated to make room for rear seating, etc., something I considered...but decided against.
JFYI, Roy Nacewicz sells a really nice complete rear shelf assembly, along with many other correct nuts, bolts, fasteners, etc.
Old 02-28-2014, 08:41 PM   #13
19Fordy

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Bob View Post
19Forty,
My '40 5 window has the same style rear braces as your '40. Probably a production design change.

steve,
That middle brace may have been relocated to make room for rear seating, etc., something I considered...but decided against.
JFYI, Roy Nacewicz sells a really nice complete rear shelf assembly, along with many other correct nuts, bolts, fasteners, etc.
Bob, My 40 is an early 1940 production with the push in and slide up ashtrays. Are your ashtrays the same?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Copy of 40interior (Small).jpg (63.0 KB, 22 views)
Old 02-28-2014, 09:41 PM   #14
V8 Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Fordy View Post
Bob, My 40 is an early 1940 production with the push in and slide up ashtrays. Are your ashtrays the same?
When I bought my '40, it was not stock, but "modified" by previous owners; '49 Mercury dash, GMC pannel truck seats, 389" Pontiac, '56 Ford rear, etc. Also, something I didn't realize until years later was that the door panels/moldings were deluxe, yet the hood/grill was standard. It's also an early production 85 HP car.

Last edited by V8 Bob; 03-02-2014 at 04:59 PM.
Old 03-01-2014, 07:26 AM   #15
steve fritz

19Fordy......who is Roy Nasewicz and does he have a web site or email I can contact??
Thanks!
Steve
Old 03-01-2014, 08:40 AM   #16
Tony, NY

http://www.fordscript.com/ford_bolts/products.html
Tony, NY is offline   Reply With Quote