Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-05-2015, 10:15 PM   #1
Bill in NJ

Default R & R Steering column

Approx how many hours would it take a new be to take a steering column out and reinstall? I assume most models would take the same time ?

This of course is not using a cutting torch on it !!
Bill in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 10:23 PM   #2
Larry Jenkins
BANNED

Default Re: R & R Steering column

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in NJ View Post
Approx how many hours would it take a new be to take a steering column out and reinstall? I assume most models would take the same time ?

Depends on what you want to do with it. Layout your plan for us..

And, why is time important? It's fun to a lot of us..

Larry
Old 12-05-2015, 10:30 PM   #3
29spcoupe

I bought a rebuilt column from Snyder's and replaced it in the Hershey flea market. I took about 1 hour to remove and the same to install on my 29 coupe.
29spcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 08:21 PM   #4
Bill in NJ

I might have to take a 1928 gas tank out from the inside and heard the steering column must be removed for this ? True or not ? Thanks in advance
Old 12-06-2015, 08:28 PM   #5
Brentwood Bob

Different body styles will take different amounts of time to pull the column. and the 7 tooth column is different from the 2 tooth. Is this a driving car, or a chassis?
Give us a little description of what you are working on, and what you are trying to do.
a non specific question is usually answered with quesses.
Bob
Brentwood Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 08:43 PM   #6
JamesAC

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I don't have any experience with removing a gas tank (1930 deluxe coupe here) and thus do not know if you have to remove the steering column as a part of that job.

I did fully remove and refurbish my steering column/gear unit in the course of my general restoration of the car and it wasn't that bad. It was about a year ago and as I presently recall, it was a matter of removing the starter, disconnecting the drag link from the pitman arm and then the pitman arm from the steering gear, disconnecting the spark and gas rod linkages, removing the light switch and the little "key" that holds the spider on the end of the horn rod, removing the trim plate on the floor/firewall around the column, disconnecting the clamp from the gas tank to the steering column inside the car, pulling the steering wheel loose but not removing it from the column until I could get the steering gear out of the frame and the whole column lowered sufficiently to remove the horn rod and then following that the steering wheel in its entirety, then just a matter of lowering the whole column through the hole in the floor and out from underneath the car. Lowering the whole column out through the floor and from under the car would probably be easier with an assistant, but I actually did it by myself. I forget, but I do think I had the front end jacked up a bit, but I did not have the car on a lift or anything like that.
JamesAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 02:22 PM   #7
Brentwood Bob

I have only removed and reinstalled from the inside of the cab.
And by myself, although reinstalling goes 300% easier with a helper holding the column in place while you guide the freshly painted assembly in place and then bolt up to the frame.
The steering box needs to be rotated and the brake and clutch pedals are also in the way and need to come out first and reinstalled last.
Without a helper 1 1/2 hours and a 6 pack to remove.
With helper 30 minutes and two 6 packs.
Your experience may vary.
Bob
Brentwood Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 03:44 PM   #8
31Tudor

For a Newbe I would think about 2 hours or less. It would take about an hour to take the floor mat out, then the floor boards and cover plates. You have to disconnect the pitman arm from the shaft, then the two bolts holding the steering column to the frame and the two screws to hold the column to the tank or 31 bracket. Sometimes it is easier to get the column out through the pedals by taking the clutch pedal off. Could be more or less depending on how rusty things are..

This was taking the column up through the car, not taking it out below. You don't have to take the column out to take the tank out. Obviously the clamp holding the column to the tank. If you take one bolt out that holds the column to the frame, you can rotate the column down to rest on the seat and that might get it out of the way a hair, but not necessary.
31Tudor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 04:00 PM   #9
2manycars

Quote:
I might have to take a 1928 gas tank out from the inside and heard the steering column must be removed for this ? True or not ? Thanks in advance
I am wondering why and how one would take out a tank from the inside of the car. Seems a lot easier to take it out from the outside, and the steering could stay in place.
2manycars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 04:21 PM   #10
700rpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manycars View Post
I am wondering why and how one would take out a tank from the inside of the car. Seems a lot easier to take it out from the outside, and the steering could stay in place.
I don't know if it is even possible. I guess if you took off the trans tower and removed the steering column and removed all the bolts/clamps holding the tank in place, and wiggle it around to clear the firewall. But why not just take it out the top? More information needed about the nature of the project.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 06:46 PM   #11
1931 flamingo

I believe certain 29 4 drs, the tank was removed from the inside of the car. There was a long "how to, with pics a few years back. Two man job.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 06:52 PM   #12
Bill in NJ

Was it posted on this site ?? Approx how many years is a few years ago ? Thanks, Bil
Old 12-07-2015, 09:09 PM   #13
supergnat

Bill,
The article (concealed tank removal) can be found in the Jan/Feb edition of the Restorer pages 12 -14.
Supergnat
supergnat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 09:20 PM   #14
Bill in NJ

Thanks for that info Supergnat. I will pass it on to him
Old 12-07-2015, 09:31 PM   #15
Mike

Bill call me tomorrow.
Mike
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 11:38 PM   #16
Terry, NJ

Bill, would this be in a coupe, open car, or sedan? It makes a difference! The way to remove a steering column is to pull it up with the floor removed. The higher and further back you can go, the easier it will be, I assume you will paint it when it's out, so replacing it in position, without mangling the paint job is a consideration too. I've only done 1930 coupes but the job wasn't too hard, maybe two hours to get it out. First, remove the half of the light switch and disconnect the horn wire. Then just take the pitman arm off and disconnect the bolts holding it to the chassis. Then remove the clamp under the gas tank. Then the fight starts!It's loose but there doesn't seem to be enough room to manouver the dang thing out. Just keep trying and you'll find that magic angle from which it will slip out so easily that you'll wonder what the fuss was all about. Assemble in reverse order. Call me if you want 1 732 688-3438 (Cell)
Terry

Quote:

Last edited by Terry, NJ; 12-07-2015 at 11:53 PM.
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 05:21 AM   #17
29spcoupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry, NJ View Post
Then the fight starts!It's loose but there doesn't seem to be enough room to manouver the dang thing out. Just keep trying and you'll find that magic angle from which it will slip out so easily that you'll wonder what the fuss was all about. Assemble in reverse order. Call me if you want 1 732 688-3438 (Cell)
Terry
Just remove the pedals and starter and the column will lift right out.
29spcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 06:54 AM   #18
Wilbur

I agree with the 2 hours. I just did mine to rebuild it and it was necessary to remove the pedals and starter. It comes into the cabin and out the door. Not easy... But not terrible either.
Wilbur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 07:54 AM   #19
Terry, NJ

I hate to argue with someone, but I'm lazy, I don't like removing all that extra stuff. However, if one wishes to paint it, removing the pedals etc, is insurance against scuffing and scratching it.
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 08:14 AM   #20
29Cabriolet

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manycars View Post
That could depend on which tank is in the car. Some tanks, like in my Cabriolet have to be removed from inside. (The cowl is not part of the tank as in many A's). I did not have to remove the column to get the tank out. Once unbolted from the bracket there is ample wiggle room to drop the tank low enough to remove it. The shift lever was not in the way as long as it's in 1st or 3rd. But I did have to unbolt the e-brake handle and lay it down on the floor boards.
29Cabriolet is offline   Reply With Quote