Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-19-2013, 04:08 PM   #1
FordToughChevyStuff

Default 1929 Truck Conversion ~ Updated with Pictures ~

I acquired a 1929 truck conversion. The owner told me how farmers used to convert their sedans into trucks because they couldn't afford to buy a truck outright. The truck is complete but not running yet and I would really like to learn more about these if anyone has any info?

It appears to be all original except for the wheels and tires. The rear of the sedan was cut out and made into a short cab like a truck, then a box was added to the back. Looks to still have the original engine, tranny, rear-end. I think it is a unique piece but maybe it is just a cut up Model A with no value.

I know its tough to get an idea of the truck without a picture but I will post one when I get home, at work now.

Last edited by FordToughChevyStuff; 07-19-2013 at 08:29 PM.
FordToughChevyStuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 04:26 PM   #2
Special Coupe Frank

Default Re: 1929 Truck Conversion (Originally a Sedan)

Watch the 1940 John Ford movie: "The Grapes of Wrath". You'll see the same trick done with a mid-Twenties Hudson Super-Six sedan.

This piece probably has little to no value (aside for a parts vehicle) to a Model A Ford enthusiast, but may have historical significance as a piece of American history.

If the present form of the vehicle is fairly intact, it might be worth fixing and preserving as-is... probably not worth the effort & expense to restore back to a sedan.

It would be quite a conversation piece at shows and cruises.

So far, I don't recall ever seeing a Model A truck conversion in person.

Lot's of nice, restored factory Ford trucks, but no home-mades.

Just my thoughts... we'd love to see some pictures...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Joad truck.jpg (13.3 KB, 153 views)
File Type: jpg okies Model T.jpg (79.3 KB, 145 views)
Special Coupe Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 04:42 PM   #3
FordToughChevyStuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Special Coupe Frank View Post
Watch the 1940 John Ford movie: "The Grapes of Wrath". You'll see the same trick done with a mid-Twenties Hudson Super-Six sedan.

This piece probably has little to no value (aside for a parts vehicle) to a Model A Ford enthusiast, but may have historical significance as a piece of American history.

If the present form of the vehicle is fairly intact, it might be worth fixing and preserving as-is... probably not worth the effort & expense to restore back to a sedan.

It would be quite a conversation piece at shows and cruises.

So far, I don't recall ever seeing a Model A truck conversion in person.

Lot's of nice, restored factory Ford trucks, but no home-mades.

Just my thoughts... we'd love to see some pictures...
These were my thoughts too. Definitely not a piece that Ford enthusiasts would place high value on but as far as historical significance its a cool truck/sedan. I might just get the truck mechanically sounds and drive it, leave everything else alone!
Old 07-19-2013, 04:50 PM   #4
ELbert

I believe also that during WWII pickups recieved a higher gas allotment than cars thus alot of cars were converted.
ELbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 07:45 PM   #5
Tom Wesenberg

One of our clubs members has the same thing. He installed a Caravan middle seat and now it has room and comfort. I don't recall if it had a seat when he bought it a few years ago. It's a fun thing to own, and handy to haul things.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 07:45 PM   #6
wayne1953

mine was original a 28 tudor number stamped on subframe number A3428 cut off just behind the front doors and a truck body and bed added.....We know it was done before 1950
I can trace the history from then, they used the rounded tudor top and formed it into the truck back of cab we reworked it to make it look more truck like a few years ago both doors had a ford dealership phone number (3 digit phone number) and a city in Georgia that
went unincorporated in 1947 My genius brother reworked the doors to make them the right height for a 28-29 pick up I like it cause it been this way for over 60 years of its life......
wayne1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 08:22 PM   #7
QGolden

We had several of Sedan/Truck conversions around the Garage when I was a kid. My Grandfather and Father made several of them. They would use them for running parts, and keep a "for Sale" sign on them. When they sold one, they built another. Mostly early 40's two door sedans. They would cut the trunk area back to the front seat, build a cab back that would be behind the front seat. Install a flat piece of windshield glass for a back window, and deck it level at bumper height, leaving the fenders and rear body sided intact. Some of them actually looked quite good.

It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.- Unknown
QGolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 08:26 PM   #8
FordToughChevyStuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne1953 View Post
mine was original a 28 tudor number stamped on subframe number A3428 cut off just behind the front doors and a truck body and bed added.....We know it was done before 1950
I can trace the history from then, they used the rounded tudor top and formed it into the truck back of cab we reworked it to make it look more truck like a few years ago both doors had a ford dealership phone number (3 digit phone number) and a city in Georgia that
went unincorporated in 1947 My genius brother reworked the doors to make them the right height for a 28-29 pick up I like it cause it been this way for over 60 years of its life......
Here a some pictures! Body is in surprisingly good shape.

Old 07-20-2013, 07:09 PM   #9
Jim Huseby

Default Re: 1929 Truck Conversion ~ Updated with Pictures ~

'Just my opinion here. Monetary value was mentioned and yeah, it probably wouldn't be worth much compared to any original as-built from the factory A's. But if we could leave money out of the conversation for a minute, I think the 4 door sedan, without the dog leg front pillar, makes a really nice looking PU. All the wood in that body would make it difficult to tie the cab together in a good structural unit, but it could be done by replacing the structural wood with steel. Also, getting the top lined up and fitting and probably re-working the belt and reveal mouldings to look matched would be a tremendous chore, as I can tell you from experience. The car/truck doesn't look rusted out or too beat up. Anything can be done with determination and time. Another idea: the truck has a lot of stories to tell in its present condition, which would all be erased by doing a lot of work to it. Do the doors latch and stay safely latched? What do you think of getting it mechanically restored and leaving the sheet metal as-is? It's definitely a conversation piece.
Jim Huseby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 11:48 PM   #10
WTSHNN

I posted this pic in the Commercial Vehicles thread a few months back...

-Tim
WTSHNN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 01:07 AM   #11
FordToughChevyStuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Huseby View Post
'Just my opinion here. Monetary value was mentioned and yeah, it probably wouldn't be worth much compared to any original as-built from the factory A's. But if we could leave money out of the conversation for a minute, I think the 4 door sedan, without the dog leg front pillar, makes a really nice looking PU. All the wood in that body would make it difficult to tie the cab together in a good structural unit, but it could be done by replacing the structural wood with steel. Also, getting the top lined up and fitting and probably re-working the belt and reveal mouldings to look matched would be a tremendous chore, as I can tell you from experience. The car/truck doesn't look rusted out or too beat up. Anything can be done with determination and time. Another idea: the truck has a lot of stories to tell in its present condition, which would all be erased by doing a lot of work to it. Do the doors latch and stay safely latched? What do you think of getting it mechanically restored and leaving the sheet metal as-is? It's definitely a conversation piece.
Yep, my idea is to leave it alone cosmetically aside from a few minor things. I really want to focus on making it mechanically reliable and fun to drive. It doesn't look bad converted to a truck either, I even have a little more cab room than a normal truck!
Old 07-21-2013, 01:08 AM   #12
FordToughChevyStuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTSHNN View Post
I posted this pic in the Commercial Vehicles thread a few months back...

-Tim
Thanks for sharing, I see a few similarities between them!
Old 07-21-2013, 01:28 AM   #13
dumb person

They have a cult following. May not be worth the money a perfect restoration would be but still usable practical truck much like the day it was rebuilt. Like the others said, fuel rationing was a big factor.
i like it but would probably not make one myself unless the back half was torn away in an accident or something.

"I'm Convinced that no one really reads posts anymore; they just fabricate what they think the post says then ramble on about red herrings."--Bob
Outcasts rules of old cars
#1 Fun is imperative, mainstream is overrated
#2 If they think it is impossible, prove them wrong
#3 If the science says it impossible you are not being creative enough.
#4 No shame in recreating something you never had
#5 If it were not for the law & physics you would be unstoppable
dumb person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 06:47 AM   #14
Special Coupe Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordToughChevyStuff View Post
Here a some pictures! Body is in surprisingly good shape.

Can you grab some photos of the pick-up box ? I can't tell, but it looks like a Model A box ?
Old 07-22-2013, 12:39 PM   #15
FordToughChevyStuff

Here are some pictures of the box. It is in great shape, no dents on the actual box but the tailgate needs a little work.

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/c...972DA0864B.jpg
Old 07-22-2013, 12:58 PM   #16
Tom Wesenberg

Running board fenders..........now, that's a new one on me. I'd leave it as is and just fix the mechanicals as needed and keep all the moving parts lubed.

I was looking at the last picture in a previous reply that shows the sealed beam headlamps. Are they rotated 90* from where they should be?
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 01:17 PM   #17
FordToughChevyStuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
Running board fenders..........now, that's a new one on me. I'd leave it as is and just fix the mechanicals as needed and keep all the moving parts lubed.

I was looking at the last picture in a previous reply that shows the sealed beam headlamps. Are they rotated 90* from where they should be?
Yep they are, not sure what the purpose of that was. I will be fixing that too before it goes on the road!
Old 07-22-2013, 01:42 PM   #18
Special Coupe Frank

Looks like it started-out as a Briggs sedan ( squared tops of the window-openings).

That box looks really decent.

If it were mine, I would try to find the appropriate rear fenders, but see about leaving the running-board steps in place...

Yeah, Tom, you're right - those sealed-beams are 90* out of whack...
Old 07-22-2013, 02:09 PM   #19
FordToughChevyStuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Special Coupe Frank View Post
Looks like it started-out as a Briggs sedan ( squared tops of the window-openings).

That box looks really decent.

If it were mine, I would try to find the appropriate rear fenders, but see about leaving the running-board steps in place...

Yeah, Tom, you're right - those sealed-beams are 90* out of whack...
I actually have the rear fenders, they just aren't installed on the truck. Both fenders are in pretty good shape too.
Old 07-22-2013, 03:36 PM   #20
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

In the early 1960's there were still some Feral examples running around...I've seen sliced off sedans, shortened sedans, and Coupe with a pickup box worked into the original quarter panels still delivering rural mail in Alabama in the late sixties!
I picked over a slightly different example at about that time, too...I found the hulk of the body of some variety of '30-31 Fordor with rear folding armrest rotting away in Mississippi or Alabama. The back story...the Fordor had spent the 1930's as both the family car and the farm truck. With back seat out, it was stuffed with whatever needed moving, including livestock. With seat back in, it was the family car. Come WWII and it was ineligible for farm truck gas coupons, on the grounds that it wasn't actually a truck, so the body was peeled off and replaced with one from a junked pickup. By the time I got there, only the body, which had been settling into the ground since about 1942, remained on the premises.
Bruce Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote