Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-21-2022, 10:41 AM   #1
chap52

Default off topic Covid -vs- Life

Covid-vs-Life
We tend to put a lot of energy into pointing out all the negative impacts that the pandemic has had on our lives. But for a moment, in the midst of it all, there are many that refused to cower in defeat. To all of those who chose to make lemonade out of lemons I say, “Good job.”
The last two years have been filled with disruptions, heartache and pain but there is a way to redeem the time and walk victoriously amidst the rubble. It is a personal mindset that we need to hold on to. This purpose of this writing is not to pat myself on the back but to encourage all to take the steps to “redeem the time” that has been disrupted in your life.
Here is what I was able to accomplish during the “pandemic” with all of its restrictions.
I started writing and sending out a Christian devotional twice a week in March of 2020. These “Thoughts” as I call them, were compiled into a book which was published on Amazon in January 2021. “You Can’t Blame The Bathtub, Volume 1”.
The twice weekly devotions continued throughout 2021 and again in January 2022 were published into; “You Still Can’t Blame The Bathtub”. The twice weekly writings have continued in 2022. The plan is that in January 2023 this year’s postings will also be compiled into Book 3 of the “Bathtub Devotional Series.”
Recently I stepped out of my comfort zone and develop a Blog Website the makes the encouraging and challenging writings even more freely available.
Then there were the 12 handcrafted laminated hardwood cutting boards I made for friends & family for Christmas 2021.
Now that may not seem like much to some folks but I just turned 76 years old and refuse to lay down and be defeated by fear of the “what ifs. I have learned to use the tools at hand for encouraging others. Sometimes we tend to surrender to the disruptions instead of squeezing the juice out of the lemons.
I hope that you have been using your “disrupted” time to tinker on those cars, share phone calls and chat with loved ones while still dealing with the not so pleasant parts of life in a pandemic.
What have YOU been up to?
“Enjoy the adventure…” Chap
If you may be interested in seeing the rest of the “Bathtub” story you can go to the web site. https://richardsempel.wordpress.com
chap52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 05:58 PM   #2
Mtn Wudy

Default Re: off topic Covid -vs- Life

Thanks for your Story/Post …..
I almost felt guilty that it didn’t affect my day to day that much …
Had it been when I was working I’m sure I would have been much more affected by it ..
To keep my story “V8” I’ll share what I did ..All my life my hobbies and interests took the back seat to Family,Job,,and even side jobs …Retired,, I have more free time to work out in my shop.. Winter frees me completely from yardwork …Looking for a project when the whole Covid deal started I picked on the Woodie ..I’ve had it about ten years now …When I bought it the wood was painted …Yes a feeble attempt at wood graining …That another whole story ..
I hated it …it was a 50’ car …
So with the heat on in the shop and nowhere to go …I disassembled “The Woodie”..A heatgun worked the best ,,sanded and scraped to ge the primer all off ..It was then evident why he had painted the wood ..Bad spots were filled with Bondo ,,primer,, wood filler ..
I used all the skills my dad and shop teacher had taught me to repair the wood ..It was then bleached sanded bleached again ,, sanded ,, toned and a total of ten coats of varnish…
Listening to the news on the radio got old fast ,,so “The Message” (Christian Radio)turned up loud made it more like fun than work ..I got it all finished by June that first year of Covid ..
Is it perfect ..??? NO but it’s a 5/10 foot car now …Carl over here @ the “Lazy S Ranch”
Montrose CO…
Old 03-21-2022, 06:40 PM   #3
Topher5150

About a week before it hit the fan I was let go from my job so from 2020-2021 I took advantage of the time off.
so I went form this...to that and got it looking like a car for the first time in a long time
Attached Images
File Type: jpg a1.jpg (106.9 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg tires.jpg (91.4 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg car.jpg (116.1 KB, 65 views)
Topher5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 08:26 PM   #4
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topher5150 View Post
About a week before it hit the fan I was let go from my job so from 2020-2021 I took advantage of the time off.
so I went form this...to that and got it looking like a car for the first time in a long time
That looks great to me. I have my good reading glasses on and the door and fender gaps look very good. I can't see retirement from where I am today, but I think I am working less and enjoying the old fords more. Just all of you keep up the good work and i will enjoy all of your stories from my couch. One thing for sure.... A lot more good news on the barn than on the TV.....
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 09:53 PM   #5
34pickup

It hasn't really affected me all that much. I wasn't sociable before it hit so I really don't notice much of a change in that respect. And my state didn't really shut down much at all and what was shut for a while opened up a lot sooner than most. What I think sucks the most is that a lot of car show/swap meets were cancelled. Glad that has turned around.
I managed to get my old 48 in good working order but it sat during the cold weather and now that spring is here there are some loose ends I need to finish up with it.
Things are looking up....
Matt 24:36-41
34pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 10:42 PM   #6
al's28/33

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
My wife and I moved our children out of the local public school system and into a smaller private school. I am lucky enough to be in construction and while things got very scary the first three weeks of the "shelter in place" ordinances, I and the company I work for became very busy and managed to keep all 350 employees working. My kids had to home-school for all of 2020 (ages 12 and 10) and it was a test of our family bond to keep it all straight, my day job, my wife's day job, our house duties and home schooling and homework into the evening every night to try to keep some sort of structure and routine. We are all weary and stressed but we are stronger for it now. I think.
al's28/33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 03:24 AM   #7
Karl

Unfortunately COVID has turned my life upside down .
As a Medical Practitoner I have spent the last 2 years with the threat of COVID hanging over me and my family. Just about every thing I do at work has changed . New Zealand has managed to erradicate COVID for long periods of time but Omicron has escaped and is surging Fortunately we have a vaccination rate of over 90% and hence our death rate is lower - Currently 200 Covid deaths from a poulation of 5 million since 2020 but there will be more -Karl
Old 03-22-2022, 07:36 AM   #8
Stretch Cab

I haven't been able to work on my cars much as my wife and I moved from FL to NC to care for her aging parents. This required a major home remodel and a new job.
My wife and I have always been close but we have enjoyed a lot more quiet rides just to talk. I think the "Barn" has been a big help for me as it gets me out and about without any worries.
Old 03-22-2022, 12:50 PM   #9
Rudolph

Me and my mum and dad make art for a living and we thought it would be the end of us but actually it was the opposite, I have been able to get the Mercury motor rebult by a shop, build a new workshop and buy a heap of tools I wanted, the last 9 years have been totally crap. Another plus I dont have to see any of my other family probably ever again
Rudolph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 07:01 PM   #10
Topher5150

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
That looks great to me. I have my good reading glasses on and the door and fender gaps look very good. I can't see retirement from where I am today, but I think I am working less and enjoying the old fords more. Just all of you keep up the good work and i will enjoy all of your stories from my couch. One thing for sure.... A lot more good news on the barn than on the TV.....
It's good to know I'm doing something right. Thanks
Topher5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 08:00 PM   #11
sugarmaker

Folks,
The day the Covid pandemic hit was the day before our 2020 Maple weekend event. We decided to have it anyway and many folks visited us with precautions in place. We also laid out a new shop that same day. We put 4 stakes in the ground! So during the pandemic I was very busy with work on the new shop. Also helping do grounds work at our tractor show acreage. It did not seem to stop much of what we did at home. Yes we restricted our travels, wore masks as required, but still worked on things every day. In mid 2021, the 32 Ford truck was purchased as a project, and the Ford Barn was a welcome place to come and share experiences.
The Ford Barn is a place where we can get good information on our projects and meet new friends too. I have appreciated the project support and kind words! It has helped me through the worst of the pandemic and out the other side! I believe stronger too.
Hope things are good in Ford Land!
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
sugarmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 01:07 AM   #12
Tinker

Interesting post.

Global viruses will happen. I'm not sure it an end of world thought or a political agenda.

As humans we like to find an easy answer. I'm not sure I trust people that sell end times. Even if every human is gone, the earth will go on. The bible said God created all life. Not just humans, if you want to get into theology. Does a bird seize to be, if we destroy each other? A bird is god creation. I guess I don't know.

As a christian. I believe the only thing we can do for each other is to help in need. Be positive and love.

Last edited by Tinker; 03-23-2022 at 02:05 AM.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 01:02 PM   #13
Adam/Mill Valley CA

I've been woodcarving most of my adult life. I retired from my medical practice (47 years out of med school) in July 2020 and the lockdown induced me do do a carving I had been thinking about for a long time-see pics below. The wood was a very nice laminated block of cherry, I welded up the candelabra part from cold rolled steel, and put a Japan Brown finish on that. Kept me out of trouble during the lockdown.

Adam
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hads menorah 1.jpg (40.8 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg hands menotrah 2.jpg (46.1 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg hands menorah 3.jpg (55.7 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg hands menorah 4.jpg (56.8 KB, 25 views)
1970 911E 2.2 litre dark blue/black
1968 BMW R50/2 US, black (m'cycle)
1967 Triumph TR6R , sea foam/cream (m'cycle)
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 red (m'cycle)
1974 Honda CB750 red (m'cycle)
2000 Kawasaki W650 blue/silver (m'cycle)
Adam/Mill Valley CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 01:34 PM   #14
Flathead Fever

Covid affected me but not as much as it did my dad, it killed him in less than a week. That was back in 2020. That was a bad deal. I did not get to say goodbye, I don't know what he went through. He was the first person I knew to get Covid. Since it killed him and me being genetically related to him, I thought I better get the shot and the boosters. I still got a bad case of Covid this last Christmas, everybody at that party got it.

Dad loved flathead Fords especially his '32 roadsters, the one he had back in 1956 and the one I inherited from him. When I had to pick out his headstone I asked if they could create this from a drawing, I gave them. I wasn't sure how it would turnout sandblasted into granite, but it looks like '32 roadster to me. I think he would have liked it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210717_132854 - Copy.jpg (178.0 KB, 29 views)

Last edited by Flathead Fever; 03-23-2022 at 01:42 PM.
Flathead Fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 03:55 PM   #15
Zeke3

Flathead Fever, it is good to hear from you, I hadn't seen a post from you in a long time. Sorry to hear about your father. I think he would be very happy with the way the marker turned out.
Zeke3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 08:25 AM   #16
PeteVS

For quite a few years, each summer wound up with a time eating project around the house or somewhere else. But, with COVID, my volunteer job was put on hold, no projects or other distractions arose and I got a ton of work done on a project I'd been wanting to do since back in '57.