Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-08-2018, 07:28 AM   #21
john in illinois

Default Re: Rodents in headliner

Bucket traps are great.

My large storage building was infested with mice, lots of places to build nests under lumber, car parts, etc.

They got into the air conditioning of my 2014 Ford pickup. I made 2 of the bucket traps and since it was winter, I put used antifreeze in the bottom. I caught several a day and then none. They got wiped out. Now I just get the occasional mouse that shows up.The antifreeze sort of embalms them and they don't smell at all.

I got my truck A/C cleaned and besides the buckets, I keep a Victor trap at each wheel that catches one occasionally So far no more mouse smell

John
john in illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 09:42 AM   #22
RalphG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
In the video he mentions you don't have to use water if you want to release the mice later.
I'm not sure why you would want to release or relocate them . Plus a mouse could easly jump out of a bucket without water.

I'm guessing the re-locate option was thrown in there to avoid comments from the tree hugger/trolls who would not harm a fly. I have "re-located" a few raccoons here in the past when they became a little bit of a problem.
RalphG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 02:52 PM   #23
fottyjs

FORDV8j.....How does putting a pan of anti freeze cut down on rodents?
fottyjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 06:40 PM   #24
Krylon32

Years ago I had a nice deuce sedan that was infested with mice. I stored the car in my grandmas small single garage. One day I sealed up the windows and door, opened the doors on the sedan and filled the lawn mower with gas set the choke and let it run out the tank of gas. It took care of the problem. I then put lots of mouse and rat bait in the garage for the winter, and put lots of dryer sheets in the car. I thought the car would stink but by spring most of the smell was gone. Years later the guy that bought the sedan called said he was changing interiors and asked why there were so many mummified mouse carcasses in the car. After that I was a little more careful where I stored my cars.
Krylon32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 06:47 PM   #25
Tinker

Baits work but the mice can really smell when they die in a wall. Plus if an owl or something else eats them before they die, they are dead also. Dogs will eat it too if they find it, so put it out of range.

fottyjs... Anti freeze is sweet in taste. They drink it and well they are drinking anti freeze!!! Pets will drink it too though.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 07:53 PM   #26
Tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krylon32 View Post
Years ago I had a nice deuce sedan that was infested with mice. I stored the car in my grandmas small single garage. One day I sealed up the windows and door, opened the doors on the sedan and filled the lawn mower with gas set the choke and let it run out the tank of gas. It took care of the problem. I then put lots of mouse and rat bait in the garage for the winter, and put lots of dryer sheets in the car. I thought the car would stink but by spring most of the smell was gone. Years later the guy that bought the sedan called said he was changing interiors and asked why there were so many mummified mouse carcasses in the car. After that I was a little more careful where I stored my cars.

carbon monoxide poisoning would do it
Old 08-09-2018, 08:42 PM   #27
A bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by fottyjs View Post
The green stuff tastes sweet and ruins kidney function.
Old 08-09-2018, 08:51 PM   #28
Tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by A bones View Post
The green stuff tastes sweet and ruins kidney function.

Kinda like whisky or vodka.
Old 08-10-2018, 09:14 AM   #29
fottyjs

TINKER....great video and easy to build....
fottyjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 02:46 PM   #30
corvette8n

The auto museum in Norwich NY has a little paper plate with about a dozen mothballs on the front and back floors of their cars. I tried dryer sheets but the mice used them for nesting material. I have a bigger problem with Chipmonks getting into my truck which gets driven daily but is parked outside.
corvette8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 01:48 PM   #31
cas3

at the old car museum in murdo sd., most cars have a box of mothballs on the floor. many boxes have been eaten by mice! the 5 gal pail trap works great, but i have a cat that works better. he is a pet, so therefore lives like a king, but loves to hunt critters too. mice, red squirrel, rabbit, gofers, moles, etc. something is dead on the front steps every day
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 02:46 PM   #32
joe 1950

bounce dryer sheets all over in the car smells better than moth balls any day and it works
joe 1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 10:44 AM   #33
fordv8j

Quote:
Originally Posted by fottyjs View Post
they drink it and die
fordv8j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 05:42 AM   #34
mike42

What is the most common area the mice can get in ? In my '40 I cover the holes where clutch and brake peddles are and used some spray foam in others body holes. Have not had too many problems since then, but they are crafty little buggers and can squeeze through a small area for sure.

Mike
mike42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 05:00 PM   #35
A bones

Odors and droppings are one thing. I've a deloused a few farm fresh relics. But it's important to recognize that they chew anything. That is,,,,, your car.
I once had a 'small passenger' in the cab of my semi. It was a week until I had the time and place to deal with it. The result was the functions and lights on the dash were violated and the truck had to be turned over to the shop.
Old 08-13-2018, 06:16 PM   #36
grumppyoldman

I just tried FAST CAB and I'm amazed at what it did for my travel trailer that sets on my dear lease year round. I was just there and I've never gone there that it didn't have mouse droppings and dead wasp inside, there was nothing I mean nothing, dead or alive. Great stuff, found it at Ace Hardware. I'll keep a pack in my car now, no odor. Al
grumppyoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 08:20 PM   #37
Tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumppyoldman View Post
I just tried FAST CAB and I'm amazed at what it did for my travel trailer that sets on my dear lease year round. I was just there and I've never gone there that it didn't have mouse droppings and dead wasp inside, there was nothing I mean nothing, dead or alive. Great stuff, found it at Ace Hardware. I'll keep a pack in my car now, no odor. Al

Do they eat it? Why are there wasps dead? Do they eat it or just trapped inside?
Old 08-14-2018, 08:10 AM   #38
40cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumppyoldman View Post
I just tried FAST CAB
I think he is talking about FRESH CAB. Here is a quote from their web site:

Fresh Cab®‘s patented pouch design delivers a long-lasting, slow release of proven essential oils, quickly repelling pests from treated areas, and reliably preventing re-infestation for up to three months.
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 02:01 PM   #39
RalphG

[QUOTE=Tinker;1660845]Baits work but the mice can really smell when they die in a wall. Plus if an owl or something else eats them before they die, they are dead also. Dogs will eat it too if they find it, so put it out of range.

These blue blocks of poison I use are not a problem as they only kill the initial consumer. Anything that eats the dead bodies is not affected. But cats and dogs will chew on the blocks if given the opportunity and that will kill them. So I only put the poison blocks in buildings that are inaccessible to cats and dogs. Keep doors shut!
RalphG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 11:38 AM   #40
grumppyoldman

Yes 40 cpe I did mean fresh cab, that stuf realy works, and no odor. A few Bounce drier sheets makes every thing smell good. i put some under the seats of my cars and truck and freshens them up with a pleasent odor. Al
grumppyoldman is offline   Reply With Quote