Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-15-2012, 11:41 AM   #1
Alan O'Connell

Default 57 T bird automatic transmission rebuild

I live in Massachusetts. Who is the best automatic transmission rebuilder in eastern Massachusetts? I have a fordomatic in my 57 Tbird that needs rebuilding.
Alan O'Connell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 02:45 PM   #2
Oldmics
BANNED

Default Re: 57 T bird automatic transmission rebuild

I"m gonna assume that you already know that the 57 T Bird requires the engine to be removed along with the transmission to gain access to the transmission for the rebuild procedure.

Oldmics
Oldmics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 08:36 PM   #3
Y-Blockhead

Yeah, that's a lot of work. I think you should give the 'Bird to me...

Actually have you tried any of the other T-Bird/Ford sites?

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 07-16-2012 at 08:59 PM.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 05:14 AM   #4
Daves55Sedan

Before turning the job over to anyone, be sure you have confidence that the rebuilder is competent and particularly familiar with the Ford-O-Matic. Look at their staff. Do they have a bunch of kids working there or do they have seasoned older mechanics who have seen it all? Ask about their warranty.
Sometimes you can get lucky and run across an old guy who specializes in Ford-O-Matics, cruis-o-matics and FMX xmissions locally.
They are dwindling in numbers now.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 07:13 AM   #5
SSsssteamer

On our 1957 Bird, I removed the fan and fan spacer, moved the engine forward just that much and the automatic transmission slipped right out. That was 34 years ago and I don't remember whether or not I drained the radiator. I did that at Skagit Transmission in Burlington, WA. Shop owner Glen Becker didn't want the hassle of pulling the engine so he let me remove and replace the transmission. I didn't even remove the hood.
SSsssteamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 12:58 PM   #6
Oldmics
BANNED

Very Interesting !!!!!

What did you do about the exhaust,water pump,throttle linkage,etc and support for the engine once it was moved forward?

IF the trans cross member mount had been previously cut away and is now a bolt in item,I guess that approach is a possibility.
If the car has the original cross member welded in place that would be almost impossible.

Oldmics
Old 07-17-2012, 03:14 PM   #7
Dominic Hide

Actually if you are comfortable around transmissions then it is not that hard to remove one from a little Thunderbird.
Below is a link to how to do it that I posted on the HAMB a few years ago. I have probably done this 10 or 12 more times since then.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=228613

With this information any trans shop could easily duplicate this procedure.
Dominic Hide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 12:10 PM   #8
blucar

I just got my '57 T-Bird back after having the trans rebuilt by a very reliable shop here in Ventura, CA..
The trans had 'reputedly' been rebuilt about 15K ago.. !985... We have owned the car since October 1973..
I reason for the rebuild... I got tired of the trans leaking oil on the garage floor and it started draining fluid into the pan which raised the fluid level causing it to 'burp' oil onto the exhaust manifold, which caused smoke like the car was on fire... Probably not to far from same..
When I took the car to the trans shop they called me with a long list of repairs that the trans needed... Every gasket/seal was leaking, the valve body was bad and very possibly the converter needed rebuilding... The oil was leaking down from the converter via the valve body..
The shocker was when I was told that the engine would have to be removed to get the trans out... I objected.. I went down to the trans shop to investigate.
I was informed by the shop owner that the only way the trans can be properly removed from a '55-57 T-Bird is to remove the engine. In some cases people have taken short cuts, cutting the welds on the trans mount cross-member.. However, even this does not allow enough room to properly remove the trans.
I told the owner of the trans shop that I knew the trans had been out of the car twice since we have owned the car and that in neither case was the engine removed.. The car was put back on the lift and the trans mount inspected.. It still had the original welds..
OK.. So now what do we have? Obviously the trans had really never been rebuilt, it had been 'repaired' while it was still in the chassis.. I showed the shop owner my entries in the vehicle log book, where-in the trans had been worked on in 1981 and 1985, both times by very reliable local transmission shops... Both of which have been out of business for many years..
Upon getting the trans out and on the bench it was found that many items were wrong with the trans.. clutches were burnt, bearings/bushings bad, the converter was worn out, as was the valve body.
The choices to me were... Repair the trans as had been done before, then in a few years have a leaking transmission... Or properly rebuild the unit. Since we have no intention of selling the car, and if I should decide to do so I will want top dollar for it, I decided to have the trans completely rebuilt with new parts.
While the engine was out several issues were discovered, motor mounts, ignition wires, a cracked exhaust manifold, leaking valve cover and pan gasket.. All of the engine issues were taken care of..
We now have a car that is again drivable to anyplace that we might want to go...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 57 Bird 8-10.1.jpg (80.2 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg 57 Bird 8-10.4.jpg (83.2 KB, 31 views)
Old 08-07-2012, 08:51 AM   #9
KULTULZ

Thumbs up Re: 57 T bird automatic transmission rebuild

-BROADER TRANSMISSIONS- IMO is the best regarding the FM. They used to be in MA but moved to TX. You have to ship your trans but if you are able to R & R it yourself, it won't be as costly.

Give him a call and talk to him.

We should have a contest. The player has to start at the very last post of a thread & then try to guess what the OP's original question was about ...
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 07:42 PM   #10
Gddecolret

Thank you*informed me.

Last edited by Gddecolret; 08-06-2014 at 11:50 AM.
Gddecolret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 07:57 PM   #11
miker98038

Not a recommendation, just information. There are options to put both C-4's and AOD's behind the Y block. Depending on the condition, originality, and your usage of the car, you might do a search. Not cheap.
miker98038 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 08:40 PM   #12
y'sguy

If you're not already a member you should join the CTCI club. They will have members in that area that can advise you as to who might be the best shop to take it to.
y'sguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 02:44 PM   #13
mikhett

Jeff Fisher of Fisher Transmissions in Fairfield N.J is the man for antique ford auto trannys.He had a guy Harley who has worked on ford trannys since the early 50s rebuild my cruise-o-matic.That was in 2005! Its still running.
mikhett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 09:21 PM   #14
zoegrant

Call Portland transmission in Manchester N.H......603-6625-6438 ask to speak to Wayne Russell.......he comes highly recommended as a tranny guy and is easy to talk with.....John in CT
zoegrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 07:16 PM   #15
k1787

You do not have to remove the engine.
k1787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 09:48 PM   #16
Milt K from Pa

As k1787 stated, you don't have to remove the engine. There is a write-up in the T-Bird authenticity manual, written mostly by Gil Baumgartner of the CTCI group. There is one piece that must be fabricated to retain a part within the tranny. The tranny is partially disassembled while in the car to gain space for removal. I haven't done it, only read about it, so no more info from here.

Milt K from Pa
Milt K from Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 01:28 PM   #17
Oldmics
BANNED

While this original post is now two years old not much has changed about repairing a tranny in a T Bird.

In the essence of time and ease of repairs,for me its faster to remove the engine and tranny to do the transmission rebuild.

It can be done in the car BUT I consider it a waste of time to achieve the end result.Plus is good to see if other items need repairs (hoses,mounts,etc).

Your mileage will vary.

Oldmics