Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-23-2011, 05:52 PM   #1
51merc

Default last final hurdle, for your sake!

okay, i had hoped to get this block down bare without any major catastrophies, and i think,hope,guess i have.
here's what's left. one side exhaust manifold was busted except for the front end and nothing's left but two studs in the block, yep studs on this side, bolts on the other. speaking of the other side, the manifold is cracked on both ends and a welding attempt(and a piss poor one at that) was made to repair and pretty much welded a couple of the bolts to the block a bit.
is it a big deal to have those removed when i have any machine work done, even if they have to be drilled out and helicore'd; i already have a broken head bolt and one of the exhaust bolts broken and studs frozen, so i'm gonna need some help.
the only other things is to get the cam bearings out, and the oil pump drive gear out and i think i can handle those two.
i just didn't want to damage this block, because i think it's a good core, and maybe i haven't, so far. i just wanted all the bolts, parts, valves, cam, crank, to come out without any problems...............yeah right.
don't laugh fellas, i've been around my flathead long enough to know how much fun, trouble, etc, they can be. all in all, it did come apart pretty easily.
thanks in advance for all help, comments, etc.past, present, and yep, future given in this project.
51merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 09:01 PM   #2
19Fordy

Default Re: last final hurdle, for your sake!

Don't know if it was covered in an earlier response, but before you spend tons of hard earned $$ have the blocked magnafluxed to see if there are any cracks.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 09:43 PM   #3
51merc

yep, that's where i'm trying to get it to; from my naked eye, i don't see any where the obvious ones usually are; it really looks good right now. after those few other removals, i'm gonna get it checked; boy i hope it's a good one, i really want to build me a flathead from scratch.
51merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 10:53 PM   #4
Halvor

I can send you instructions on how to remove broken studs etc.
Vern My e [email protected]
Halvor is offline   Reply With Quote