Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-30-2010, 03:46 PM   #1
Colorado Greg

Default Brake centering tool?

When I bought my '29 Coupe in April of this year from my Father, it had been sitting for several years without being run. I have cleaned and sealed the gas tank, rodded the radiator, rebuilt carb, dist, speedo, re-wired (I only let a little smoke out) and I finally have it running pretty decent but have not driven very far due to bad brakes.

Now it's time for brakes! The car has new cast drums and I was told they were never adjusted and I was given 4 new brake rods and was told it needed them. Well, the pedal goes to the floor and the car doesn't stop. I have not even looked at the brakes on this car yet but I've been reading through Les Andrew's book for brake repair/adjusting and I'm looking for any tips and I have a question.

Do I need to go and purchase a brake centering tool? Can I make something that will get me by or is this a must purchase item. I have done alot of brake jobs on modern cars and motorcycles, but this is completely new to me, bending roller tracks to center the shoes WOW!

I'm going to go though the entire system and ensure everything is right before driving this more than a few blocks. I'll repair or rebuild all that's necessary but thought it might be good to see what others are doing.

Thanks for any input!
Greg

Last edited by Colorado Greg; 06-30-2010 at 09:33 PM. Reason: Typo
Colorado Greg is offline   Reply With Quote