Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-01-2014, 06:55 PM   #1
Willit Stop

Default Need a little advice on the value of a flathead

A friend of mine wants to sell the 21 stud engine and transmission from his '34 pick up. Both were rebuilt some time ago and have never put into use.The engine spins(6 months ago). Does anyone have an idea of what they are worth? As I said, he's a friend and I'd like to be fair. Thanks
Willit Stop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 08:17 PM   #2
AnthonyG

Default Re: Need a little advice on the value of a flathead

Depends on what's in and it how the engine was built, stock or performance. What type cam, valves, heads, carbs, etc.. Stock from $4K to $6K. Performance $7K to $10K approx.
Old 09-01-2014, 09:58 PM   #3
ford38v8

If it's a babbitt block, he should be able to show you receipts for the new babbitt. Failing that, he should be able to tell you if it is a '36 LB block. If neither can be determined, and the engine cannot be demonstrated to run, all bets are off on potential value.
Old 09-02-2014, 07:31 AM   #4
JM 35 Sedan

The definition of "rebuilt" means different things to different people. There is such a wide spectrum of possibilities on what was actually done internally to this engine. Also, you have the question of amateur vs. professional rebuilder. IMO, AnthonyG's price range seems to be realistic for initial costs to rebuild an engine assuming quaity components were used by a professional builder.

To Kubes point in post #5, it is unlikely that someone could later sell a rebuilt engine for the same $$'s required to build that engine.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 09-02-2014 at 01:39 PM. Reason: some clarification to original post
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 08:27 AM   #5
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM 35 Sedan View Post
The definition of "rebuilt" means different things to different people. There is such a wide spectrum of possibilities on what was actually done internally to this engine. Also, you have the question of amateur vs. professional rebuilder. IMO, AnthonyG's price range seems to be realistic assuming quaity components were used by a professional rebuilder.
John, I agree with you in almost every detail of your response. Almost... the cost of rebuilding an engine CORRECTLY can and often does get in to the $4 - $6k range. However, selling same will not realize what was paid for rebuilding services. Typically these babbited 21 stud engines will bring in the $2000 - $2500 range IF proof can be given it was properly and completely rebuilt. A bearing 21 stud engine with proof will top out around $3500.
Old 09-02-2014, 09:02 AM   #6
V12Bill

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I once looked at a V 12 Lincoln that the owner said had a rebuilt engine. Rebuilt carb. new brushes in the generator new brushes in the starter , etc. He really thought that it was a rebuilt engine.
V12Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 09:28 AM   #7
bart78

What's he asking? And how were they stored? I've seen stuff stores indoors get full of moisture. With no proof of rebuild. I would not pay the price of one that has been rebuilt.
bart78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 09:34 AM   #8
Willit Stop

Thanks for the responses guys.This gives us something to go by.Any ideas on the transmission? I'm not sure if it's a 3 or 4 speed but it is rebuilt as well.
Old 09-02-2014, 10:31 AM   #9
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willit Stop View Post
Thanks for the responses guys.This gives us something to go by.Any ideas on the transmission? I'm not sure if it's a 3 or 4 speed but it is rebuilt as well.
Early top loader (correctly rebuilt) three speeds realize in the range of $250 or so. 1939 top loaders with the large synchro bring more. Typically $400ish.
If the shift tower is included as well as the lever, you can add an easy $100.
Old 09-02-2014, 10:49 AM   #10
Willit Stop

Thanks for your help.....much appreciated.
Old 09-02-2014, 06:06 PM   #11
Ol' Ron

Your only help her is to get some garrentee of the work done upon the fire p and running of the engine. With a written agreement you could recover the complete price of the engine. A case in point: a fellow advertized a completely rebuilt flathead for 2000 dollars when approached for a garinteent he refused. the buyer a friend of mine offered him 2500, he still refused. Probably wasn't a very goo engine, being rebuilt with a paint brush or rattle can. That would be a good price,if the engine was actually rebuilt.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote