Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-23-2022, 03:34 PM   #1
56sedandelivery

Default Need part number

So putting the Gravel shield on and on the bottom where it connects to the frame there is a gap between the parts. From a old pic it looks like it would be some sort of rubber part. I have not been able to find a part number for this anywhere, parts manuals, vendors, nada. Anyone know what that part number is and if not what might be used in its place?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0285.jpg (77.1 KB, 49 views)
56sedandelivery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2022, 06:26 PM   #2
KULTULZ

Arrow Re: Need part number

It should attach directly to the bracket on the front cross-member -

Did you replace the cross-member. The insulating block rides behind that under and the core support.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BRACE (17899) - Frt Gravel Shield _1.jpg (47.9 KB, 34 views)

We should have a contest. The player has to start at the very last post of a thread & then try to guess what the OP's original question was about ...
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2022, 07:51 PM   #3
56sedandelivery

Default Re: Need part number

Yes replaced the radiator core bracket block. cross member is original. Enclose is pic of the parts as they came off the car. There was a round, I assume rubber pad, between the parts. Nothing unusual for this frankinford.

Edit: I cannot pull it down because then it will not line up with the panals that the gravel shield bolt to
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gravel Shield 2.jpg (58.6 KB, 24 views)

Last edited by 56sedandelivery; 12-23-2022 at 07:58 PM.
Old 12-24-2022, 03:16 AM   #4
KULTULZ

Arrow Re: Need part number

Something is not aligned correctly.

The MPC shows no insulator. The brace is attached directly to the MTG brace on the FRT cross-member, no insulator.

It looks like someone was trying to cover up a hard collision hit.

Another member here had the same problem(s) on a 56 PARKLANE. It also had a drive-train upgrade that was poorly done.

2ND THOUGHT -

You replaced the rebound insulator right behind that brace mount under the core support. I remember during that discussion there was a question of the correct insulator. If the core support is lowered, does everything else line up (grille center brace - latch support)?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BRACE (17899) - Frt Gravel Shield _1.jpg (47.9 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg BRACE (17899) - Frt Gravel Shield _2.jpg (70.9 KB, 22 views)

We should have a contest. The player has to start at the very last post of a thread & then try to guess what the OP's original question was about ...

Last edited by KULTULZ; 12-24-2022 at 03:21 AM. Reason: CRS
Old 12-24-2022, 10:37 AM   #5
56sedandelivery

Hmmm, maybe. Will have to check once it warms up some.
Old 12-24-2022, 11:06 AM   #6
KULTULZ

Lightbulb Re: Need part number

Maybe lay a fender across the core support, apron and cowl to check your lines.

That car must have had a hard hit.

Last edited by KULTULZ; 12-24-2022 at 11:10 AM. Reason: CRS - ADVANCED
Old 12-26-2022, 07:29 PM   #7
Daves55Sedan

I own two '55's and have seen numerous original '55 & '56's none of which had anything between the bottom splash-pan stabilizer bracket and front crossmember.
If there is a gap, it could be that the two front wall halves are adjusted too high on the radiator support (which would automatically raise the splash pan and center support bracket).
I can see from your photo that you are missing the thick rectangular pad that sits between bottom of radiator support U-bracket and top of frame crossmember. Put that on and lower the position of the front wall halves and splashpan and you will be "in like Flint".
When I put the front end parts together upon building the doghouse on my car, I put everything together loosely so that I could adjust, line up fenders to doors and level the hood before tightening anything down permanently. So, all the final painting of front end parts and frame were complete prior to attempting to assemble.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2022, 10:45 AM   #8
56sedandelivery

Dave

That thick rubber pad is between the core support and the frame. Only way to lower the panels attaching to the core support would be to redrill hole in the panels as there is only one position they can go. See updated photo. Now if I took out the pad for the core support that would lower the entire contraption, right? But that pad is the one listed for a 56 so something is off. As I mentioned the car came with a rubber thingy in that gap.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0296.jpg (63.1 KB, 15 views)
Old 12-27-2022, 01:13 PM   #9
frank long island

if you cant find anything maybe a shock bushing setup would work it would also absorb some vibration
frank long island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2022, 06:05 PM   #10
Daves55Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 56sedandelivery View Post
Dave...That thick rubber pad is between the core support and the frame.
Yes, I see the rubber pad in your new photo. It looks proper. That gap needs to go away though. I suggest temporary assembly of all front-end parts to get everything aligned (particularly front fenders, front wall halves and splashpan). If there is still a small gap, there should not be, but you could fill in with washers.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2022, 07:02 PM   #11
56sedandelivery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daves55Sedan View Post
Yes, I see the rubber pad in your new photo. It looks proper. That gap needs to go away though. I suggest temporary assembly of all front-end parts to get everything aligned (particularly front fenders, front wall halves and splashpan). If there is still a small gap, there should not be, but you could fill in with washers.

That is the thing. Everything looks to be lined up. Enclosing a couple more pic to show the side vied and the door/fender gap. If anything looks cockeyed let me know otherwise I will just fill in the gap. When I got it, it had a rubber pad. So should use a steel pad instead? If I removed the pad under the rad core the fenders would drop in the front, making the door/fender gap wider at the top and narrower at the bottom, I think.Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0288.jpg (45.8 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0289.jpg (30.8 KB, 9 views)
Old 01-03-2023, 08:34 AM   #12
Jeff Norwell

I had a similar problem on my 57 Ford(apples and Oranges I know but......)
As I assembled the front sheet metal from the firewall forward.... I kept all bolts loose for fitment.
Except the grill and gravel pan.When I went to assemble those 2 items... I found the same issue that you are having.I had to go back and loosen the sheetmetal and the main centre point core support bolt to give a bit of play.Not a ton.. just a bit to give me movement.
the grill and gravel pan aligned much better and then slowly tighten/adjusted all slowly.

Took some time and was a bit frustrating ... but it all lined up in the end.
Again... 55-56 to 57-58 are 2 different animals.... but.
I believe the factory had jigs set up to pre assemble the complete sheetmetal on the line.I have seen some historical Ford pics.
As for the rubber biscuit you had on dis-assembly.... who knows who did what in these cars lives from 60 years back.
BTW,... car looks great.... nice work.
Jeff Norwell is offline   Reply With Quote