Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-13-2014, 10:57 AM   #1
Bob Bidonde

Default Sound Deadening & Heat Shield Material

The body of my 190A Victoria is ready for assembly back onto the chassis. I want to glue sound deadening & heat shield material on all of the internal body panels and doors.

Recommendations please.
Old 07-13-2014, 11:12 AM   #2
oj

Default Re: Sound Deadening & Heat Shield Material

I use ThermoTec #14720, its an acoustic matt similar to DynaMat. That number is for a 60X36 piece. I install it with one of those carpet rollers that have the 'teeth', the matt is very sticky so you have to take care to position it before peeling the backing off.
I've been useing it regularly for 10-15years and none have ever come loose.
oj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 11:49 AM   #3
Purdy Swoft

I used the firewall heat shield and an aluminum foil with air pockets type heat shield under the floor mats. I can't see a lot of benefit with heat shielding under the door panels and other side interior panels .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 01:20 PM   #4
H. L. Chauvin

Hi Bob,

FWIW, lengthy, but since you asked:

A. Sound Deadening:

1. In motor vehicles, with engine vibrations, and/or moving or wind vibrations, sound deadening occurs when one provides specially designed adhesive bituminous material on thin sheet metal to add mass to the thin sheet metal which "decreases" thin metal vibrations & reduces sound transmission.

2. One (1) Example: Try shaking a 48" square sheet of sheet metal held vertically, & it sounds like "loud" thunder ............. then add one's sound deadening material designed for vehicles to just one side & the thunder is "gone" ........ also, if one tries shaking a 48" square sheet of 3/4" thick steel, (which is about 20 times thicker than above sheet metal, with far more mass), again, no thunder.

B. Heat Shield Aluminum Radiant Barriers:

1. Today, if one is "interested" in further reading & "learning", the internet is "finally" loaded with information on the great benefits of aluminum radiant barriers which work "only" when the aluminum material is provided immediately adjacent to an air space of about 3/4" minimum to achieve great advantageous results.

2. Even though falsely advertised in vehicle magazines, if one places a thin sheet of aluminum foil sandwiched tightly between two pieces of carpet, or two pieces of plywood, with absolutely no air space, the radiant barrier's heat shield effectiveness is zero (0), & will actually conduct heat & cold temperatures.

3. Aluminum radiant barriers, with adjacent air spaces work well to reflect 97% of radiant heat energy back to the heat source; & likewise they work well to emit only 97% of radiant heat energy "from" the heat source, thus resembling low-E glass with low heat emission. It works to keep heat inside during winter when heat is provided inside, & it works well to keep heat out during summer, when heat comes from outside.

4. Few are aware today that during Model T & Model A era's, that in the 1920's & 1930's large meat freezers were effectively constructed with three layers of aluminum foil separated by 1-1/2" air spaces to bring large freezer temperatures in meat processing plants down to zero degrees -- aluminum foil was very expensive at that time.

5. Also few are aware that the reason space men on the moon wore aluminum suits was to greatly decrease heat emission from their bodies in sub-zero temperatures.

C. Does it work?

A. If one is "interested, & if one researches a little further, one can find that sound deadening works when adhesively adding mass to thin sheet metal, & radiant barriers work great "only" when provided adjacent to an air space.

B. Over 35 years ago I reduced my residential attic temperature from 150 degrees down to 95 degrees on a 100 degree day with two layers of aluminum foil under the roof, not over the ceiling ... thus lowering attic temperatures in summer a whopping 55 degrees .... no spray foam, no pink fluffy stuff, as of today can match this 55 degree heat reduction when 100 degrees outside -- imagine 40 degree A/C air in ducts traveling through a 150 degree attic & a 95 degree attic -- imagine inside temps of 70 degrees fighting a 150 degree attic vs. a 95 degree attic.

Aluminum foil works everywhere with an adjacent air space.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by H. L. Chauvin; 07-13-2014 at 01:27 PM. Reason: typo
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 05:39 PM   #5
Gary WA

Lizard skin .com good sound dead paint on
Old 07-13-2014, 05:46 PM   #6
Beecher

I installed Dynamatt extreme in my 40 this winter. but only the sound deadener, no insulation. It seems quieter in there, not so much like a giant tin can. Plan on putting in in the 28 as soon as I finish assembling the body.
Beecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 06:12 PM   #7
noboD

I bought bubble wrap with an aluminum coating for my shop years ago from a commercial roofer that specializes in Ag buildings. it came four feet wide and about 50 feet long, is used in high humidity buildings like chicken houses. I think it's about 3.8 thick and is rated about 6 or 7 R value. It works in cars too, almost like Dynamat.
noboD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 10:53 PM   #8
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by noboD View Post
I bought bubble wrap with an aluminum coating for my shop years ago from a commercial roofer that specializes in Ag buildings. it came four feet wide and about 50 feet long, is used in high humidity buildings like chicken houses. I think it's about 3.8 thick and is rated about 6 or 7 R value. It works in cars too, almost like Dynamat.
That's what I lined the complete inside of my 12 x 20 metal workshop. I used it mainly to keep condensation from forming and dripping on my car when I had it parked inside, but what a nice difference it made in temperature also. It's much warmer in winter and cooler in summer, with no heating or A/C.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 11:24 PM   #9
JOES31

Bob
Call Lebaron Bonney and order the accoustishield kit. It's well worth it.
JOES31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 06:45 AM   #10
48fordnut

Water based paint,does not matter brand or color, I use mis matched paint at the paint store for cheap then add a pound of glass beads and brush it on. THEN apply the alum ,air bubbles over that. Quiet effective.
48fordnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 07:33 AM   #11
jmeckel

On my Tudor I used the foil / air bubble insulation that is about 1/4 to 3/8" thick sold by my local Menards, I used 3M spray adhesive to hold it in place. Seemed to me to make a lot of difference. Both in sound and heat loss in the cold weather.

"If you choose to not decide, you still have made a choice!" RUSH

Don't tell me what you know..... Tell me what you have done.
jmeckel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 08:02 AM   #12
Bob Bidonde

Thanks for the responses.
Old 07-14-2014, 08:21 AM   #13
V4F

im using "crematorium foil" for heat in my floors ..................
Old 07-14-2014, 12:52 PM   #14
RobertB

When I re-did my MG, I used the Hot water heater insulation kit they sell at Home Defect. I only used it on the floor, but it seems to keep the heat from the exhaust and road out. Helped with the sound too.

Robert Houston
Old 07-14-2014, 01:31 PM   #15
sidevalve8ba

When I was building my pickup I used Eastwood's Thermo-Coustic product. It is cut-to-size and peel and stick. Very simple to use and I've found it to be quite effective.

Last edited by sidevalve8ba; 07-15-2014 at 08:00 AM.
sidevalve8ba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 10:07 PM   #16
ABento

I started using the peel and stick from ACE,Home Dump,Lowes its in the roofing dept,quite a long thread about it on the HAMB,by far cheaper than the duynamat and similar products,its much the same as what Eastwood has in the above post.
ABento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 03:19 PM   #17
Bill Goddard

H L Chauvin, Based on what you are saying, how would a sheet of shiney aluminum about .040" to .062" thick mounted on 3/4" standoffs under my floor boards in the area of the muffler work. Or would I be better off to buy the muffler shield offered by dealers? Bill G
Bill Goddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 04:48 PM   #18
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Bidonde View Post
Thanks for the responses.
Hey Bob,
If you still have not started assembly on the firewall (inside), do yourself a favor and install the mat that is made/sold for the purpose of insulating the firewall from heat and noise. It is an easy install with 3M spray advesive. I had to kinda strip some stuff off of my firewall, but it was still an easy one man job ! AND, it looks like it belongs there, i.e.- has a textured surface. Best part is that it does the job !
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 05:27 PM   #19
JOES31

This is what the Lebaron Bonney kit looks like installed.IMG_20140424_163105_347.jpg

Wouldn't think twice about doing this again. The headliner and floors are also insulated.
JOES31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 08:51 PM   #20
Art Bjornestad

I used Home Depot too. Worked like the expensive stuff.
Art Bjornestad is offline   Reply With Quote