Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-26-2011, 03:12 PM   #1
peters180a/170b

Default What sets me off .....!

You know after being in this hobby for years it becomes a way of life to some. You find a car, rare or not ,,you take it apart and restore it the best way you can. Sometimes looking for years for that special needed part. So i received Dec. Hemmings News and under 1932 fords i am reading a ad selling a 1932 roadster [rod] .The ad starts off for people who don't get Hemmings: This ORIGINAL car won awards at the 75th Anniversary of the 32' Ford in Dearborn MI.. For "40 YEARS an eldery man collected N.O.S. fenders ,running boards,steering wheel and more to built this original 32. ...AND NOW ITS A ROD. $125.000.I know its the guys car and money but please GIVE ME A BREAK....What is wrong with the all steel repro bodies???? Is it bragging rights that's its ALL FORD ORIGINAL STEEL>>> bfd.
peters180a/170b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 03:25 PM   #2
RcT

Default Re: What sets me off .....!

It is unfortunate that those with money can do as they wish. A sale always involves two parties, and the seller should take part of the blame, but that is no guaranty the car will be kept as is. I watch the Mecum Auction, and wonder what these guys have done to attain such money as they throw around at those auctions, only to be stuck in some private collection, their "portfolio" of investments.

I don't know how such a thing as you describe can be controlled, and if it could be, would we want to live in such a society that has that power?

We can only do what is possible, and this falls out of that realm. Automobiles are history and we are the conservators...
RcT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 03:29 PM   #3
Roadster62

They are REPRODUCTION bodies, that says it all, some people want a Hot Rod with REAL ORIGINAL PARTS. Gibbon makes a fiberglass 180A body, you don't want one, do you? As you stated someone had the money to buy his dream build, now he's moving on.
Old 12-26-2011, 03:30 PM   #4
metalho

Oh man, that sucks...............Lots a cars getting chopped up. I wouldnt mind building a rod, but I wouldnt touch a nice car...........The $ math doesnt add up for one thing.
metalho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 03:43 PM   #5
tombia

Some people brag about using orig. sheet metal to set off antiquer's. You also have to look at the fact that apparently most of the car was not orig. to the car to begin with. What I have never understand is how people state that their car is restored when most of it is either made overseas or otherwise. Who really cares, get in it and drive it.
tombia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 03:44 PM   #6
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Here is the difference,
He still thinks the car is an original '32 Ford with modifications.
You (and I) think it's a chopped up car that reminds us of a '32 Ford.
Old 12-26-2011, 03:53 PM   #7
tombia

Nothing to do with this post, but in 1953 or 1954 I had a chance to buy a nice 32 5 window for $125.00 from a older lady. Didn't buy it as it had a rust spot about the size of a dime in lower driver cowl. V8 and more.
tombia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 04:55 PM   #8
OoltewahSpeedShop

Maybe you should post pictures of the car here. People might want to see how bad it is.... Let me guess, it was green and now it's black?
OoltewahSpeedShop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 05:46 PM   #9
28RPU

That is the very reason I bought my 28 roadster pickup. I wanted a junky one to build a rod out of but this one was so complete and original I bought it to keep someone else from cutting it up. When they manage to make it over 80 years without getting cut up I think they deserve to stay that way.
28RPU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 08:10 PM   #10
34Fordtk

I may be out of the loop here but I like both Hot Rods and Restored cars. I also think that cutting up a real nice car is a NONO. AND I think that people get to bent out of shape over what someone did to THEIR car.
If you hate what was done to this 32 go buy it and return it to stock..........
Old 12-26-2011, 08:25 PM   #11
spdway1

What sets me off...!
HOARDING and unreasonable prices, loosen up and let the younger guys keep the "original" hobby going!!!!
Don Jr
spdway1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 08:32 PM   #12
glenn in camino

I like restored cars for their historical value but hot rods almost always bring a better return on the money invested. Most younger guys don't want to put around in a four banger.
glenn in camino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 08:43 PM   #13
Bud BC

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalho View Post
Oh man, that sucks...............Lots a cars getting chopped up. I wouldnt mind building a rod, but I wouldnt touch a nice car...........The $ math doesnt add up for one thing.
Unfortunately the math does add up, I could buy restored Model A's all day for less than $20,000 but well done hotrods are $20,000 and up.
Bud BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 08:55 PM   #14
Tinker

Yep the math does make sense, but there is more to life then math...

I admit I have a rodded a, but just like you might have done in the 30's. It's a banger engine and mech brakes. I bought it chopped and fender less. So I'm stuck. Ha. I take it out and get comments from rodders like, it looks like it was from a museum.

I wouldn't cut a good one up. Could but won't. Maybe I changed some minds on what you could do with a hotrod maybe not. Definitely changed my mind of owning classics.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 09:50 PM   #15
OoltewahSpeedShop

Who wants to start with some piece of crap to build ANYTHING? Not me, and I'll be damned if I'm gonna pass on a nice car in the hopes that someone might buy it to build THEIR dream car. Not a chance.

I say buy what you can afford, then build whatever you want to build out of it.

Hoarding up vintage parts is why the prices are where they are... Hot Rodders end up with them anyway. It's just a matter of time.
OoltewahSpeedShop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 09:59 PM   #16
Vanspeed

I am 33 and own 3 29 Model A's. All are 4 cylinder, mechanical brake cars. I love hot rods, they are my passion. I was in it for awhile but could not ever get the car I really wanted. I bought my A coupe from Neil Mylar on here and I was going to rod it. When it showed up, I changed my mind and just did some bolt on goodies. I understand when somebody wants to take the best car they can find to make their dream car, why not start with the best you can afford? As long as people have money, some more than others, this is going to continue to happen. There are still 32 fords out there that are original. If it was a last car type scenario, I would be on board with you but they are still out there. And yes, younger guys like to putt around in 4 cylinder cars.
Old 12-27-2011, 12:14 AM   #17
Milton

I come from a time when excellent Model A's could be had for $20. I have seen countless cars doused with gas, set on fire, and hauled over the scales. As a result, I would rather see a rod than a lump of sooty steel. It wasn't until the seventies that new steel bodies became available and fiberglass was always considered a cheap phony. I rodded a 31 pickup that I had owned for over 40 years. I used all of the original metal, including stretching the hood, that I could. I needed kid room, and the pickup morphed into a woody. I wouldn't do it again, but I have no regrets, considering what a fine vehicle I wound up with.
Milton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 09:22 AM   #18
trulyvintage

Lightbulb Supply & Demand

Supply & Demand .......

Personally,

I like any vehicle that is original - unmolested - unaltered

I call that " truly vintage " .......

As long is there is demand - there will be supply

Jim
trulyvintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 01:19 PM   #19
catdrmodela

Default Re: Supply & Demand

I just listed an all original very nice 1929 Model a Special coupe, perhaps you are interested.
catdrmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 02:42 PM   #20
peters180a/170b

The point is ,,,here's a old guy who collect n.o.s. parts over 40 years , won for just that a original 1932 Ford Roadster [which today is rare] and to have it hot rod when SUPER NEW STEEL BODIES are made... Last time i looked a super restored 1932 Ford roadsters were going for over $100,000 and the 1932 Cabriolet sold for $125,000.00 with a 40 year old restoration. I should know [its my friends car he finished in 78...]Those new bodies are so nice... Years ago some guys did a 1932 Chevy roadster body ,,,new steel ..and to this day i have never seen a nicer job then what those guys did. To bad it was on a Chevy...
peters180a/170b is offline   Reply With Quote