Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-20-2011, 05:30 PM   #1
glenn in camino

Default polarizing a generator

What is ment by polarizing a generator and how is it done?
glenn in camino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 06:14 PM   #2
Patrick L.

Default Re: polarizing a generator

Any electrical coil has a magnetic field around it when energized and some may be retained.. Generally a generator shouldn't lose polarity unless the field coils are removed,but, stuff happens.. If its lost, it needs to be replaced.. Just attach a short jumper wire across the cut-out terminals.. Just a flash/second will do..
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 06:18 PM   #3
fordfixer

Polarizing a generator is telling the gen. how the battery is hooked up. Positive or negative ground. It is done by using a short piece of wire and touching the post coming out of the generator(which is connected to one side of the cutout switch, and holding the wire to the otherside of the cutout switch, for about 3 seconds. You will see a slight spark when you first touch the terminals. The wire on the other side goes to the battery and thus the generator sees which way current needs to flow.
fordfixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 07:55 PM   #4
Tom Endy

If I understand the theory correctly, you can take a car that is as delivered by Henry with a positive ground 6-volt system and turn the battery around so that the system is now a negative ground, flash the generator, and it will now put out a positive voltage instead of a negative voltage. I always thought the generator had to be rewired in order to produce a positive output.

Tom Endy
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 03:34 AM   #5
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Endy View Post
If I understand the theory correctly, you can take a car that is as delivered by Henry with a positive ground 6-volt system and turn the battery around so that the system is now a negative ground, flash the generator, and it will now put out a positive voltage instead of a negative voltage. I always thought the generator had to be rewired in order to produce a positive output.

Tom Endy
No, the generator can put out either way. A couple weeks ago I fixed a 1930 Coupe that had the battery in backwards. I had to switch the amp meter wires, and coil primary wires, as well as change the battery around, then repolarize the generator. Everything was working fine the way it was, but it's nice to keep things as originally wired, so if someone has to fix something there will be less confusion.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 06:11 AM   #6
Bob-A

Tom Wesenberg,

I don't mean to highjack this thread, but Tom I think you answered a question that has been bugging me for a while. I want to try and run a 1936 Chevy Delco-Remy
generator that I rebuilt on my '31 "A". Some time ago I acquired an old aftermarket
accessory bracket that will let me do this. So all I will need to do is attach the Delco
generator (with a Delco cut-out), polarize it and I will be good to go? TIA

Bob-A
Bob-A is offline   Reply With Quote